+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Colonoscopy infection risks?  (Read 4994 times)

John C

Colonoscopy infection risks?
« on: April 25, 2010, 09:15:58 AM »
Has anyone had any experience with, or advice from their surgeon, on the risks of infection to the prosthesis from a routine colonoscopy? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

stevel

Re: Colonoscopy infection risks?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 11:29:05 AM »
Hi John,

The card I received for the BHR states "Tell your physicians you have a metal implant if you are scheduling certain medical procedures, such as dental work, sigmoidoscopy or urinary tract procedures.  Antibiotic therapy may be required for these and other procedures."

For dental procedures including routine cleaning and an oral exam, I take 4 - 500 mg amoxicillin, one hour before the procedure.
I assume a colonoscopy would have the same protocol, but check with Dr. Gross for a prescription.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

moe

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 06:11:20 PM »
I remember reading recently that the official protocol from the Orthopedic Association is that antibiotic prophylaxis is recommended before colonoscopies. There was a link posted here earlier. moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

John C

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 10:46:39 PM »
I get to put in answer to my own question. Wonderful Lee Webb at Dr. Gross's office got back to me on a Sunday, which is pretty amazing in itself. Her answer was that I do need antibiotics prior to the procedure, recommended by IV. This fits with everything else that I have read recently.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

leggy

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 04:14:11 PM »
I have just read this post & I am rather shocked!!
I did not realise that having a hip resurfacing would affect other surgical/dental procedures.
Do we get info on all of this after surgery? Does it really affect things like getting a tooth scale & polish? ???

muzza

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 05:35:57 PM »
I am going to the dentist on Tuesday for an extraction.  I take an antibiotic prescribed by the dentist one hour before the procedure.  I have been doing this on the recommendation of my surgeon since my first hip resurfacing in 2007.   Apparently the danger is infection when bleeding occurs.  As I said to my surgeon, my teeth bleed most times when I brush them, so I would therefore be in constant danger of infection. I think the medical profession is playing safe on this one as there doesn't appear to be solid evidence to back up the prophylactic protocols.

Luann

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 11:06:36 PM »
Hello everyone,
 I am a dental hygienist who is 6 weeks post-op HR. Yes, many types of internal prosthetic devices require antibiotics to be taken before certain medical/dental proceedures. I help my patients remember to take theirs all the time. Bacteria released into the bloodstream could
possibly "attack" your HR and potentially cause it to fail. The risk is small, but if it does happen could result in implant failure or worse. Do not take a chance. Tell every health professional you visit about your HR. I would even put a card in my wallet with this info on it in case of a car wreck in which you may be rendered unconcious (or wear bracelet/necklace?).

PS. muzza... I am very worried that your gums bleed "most times" when you brush. This is not normal (but probably OK for your HR) and is a sign of bad oral health! Find out why from your dental professional and get it corrected! It is usually a sign of gum disease... it could lead to tooth loss!    Luann
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

muzza

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 04:53:14 AM »
Thanks Luann for your concern and advice. Next time I visit my dentist I'll tell him about the bleeding and ask his advice.  I wish I'd looked after my teeth better when I was young. 

Neil

Luann

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 09:44:06 PM »
Oh Good! Thank you. You know us hygienists are obsessed with teeth! It is never too late and will improve your total body health. Luann
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat