+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Very Tight Quad  (Read 2855 times)

LOGAN13

Very Tight Quad
« on: May 02, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
I have went back & read the past posts on the topic of "tight or sore thigh". I received my BHR (left) 13 days ago and have yet to be able to loosen my quad. I am walking on crutches, doing my exercises, using ice...yet no relief.

My question is..Has anyone else who has had this problem used a Tens Unit?

I realize that due to the trauma from surgery that it takes time to regain use of all muscles in the leg. 

Thanks

Tim

fenceman

Re: Very Tight Quad
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 02:21:10 PM »
At 13 days my thigh still looked like a giant, bruised sausage.  You are still very early in your healing.  I am 19 months out and still improving. 
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

hipdiver

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 07:12:16 PM »
You are experiencing partial contraction of the muscles in your thigh due to stress on the femoral nerve during surgery. If you have no numbness be thankful and don't worry about it - will go away as you start excercising during rehab.

hipdiver

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 07:14:12 PM »
By the way - I used a tens unit - frankly I can't tell it did anything but it felt good - so use it if your insurance pays.

LOGAN13

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 08:47:22 AM »
I firsted created this post on day 13. Thanx for the replies  :)

Update....I am now on day 30 & am happy to report that my quad is better each day. It feels good to be able to bend my leg without pain. I can't wait to regain full range of motion so I can put on my own sock/shoe  ;). I still ice & use my tens unit for relief when I need it. I agree Hipdiver...I am not sure about the benefit of the tens unit, but it feels good  :).

I am not waiting for the abductor muscles to come back. They were cut/repaired during surgery. Until then I am focusing on my mobility...walking(I graduated from crutches to a cane) & exercises.

Also, I am trying hard to get it out of my head that my operated leg is longer. It sure seems to be, but I know that it probably is due to the angle of my hips. Years of compensating for my bad hip by leaning...at least that is what PT @ the hospital told me. Through stetching & strict focus on walking properly (I hope  ::)) will cure this.

Thanks again everyone;

Tim 

fenceman

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 10:53:57 AM »
I also had that feeling that my leg was longer.  I worried because my father had a THR at the Mayo clinic and they made his leg 1-1/2" longer (17 years ago).  He had his other hip done 5 years later (THR) and they were able to even everything out.

The feeling does go away but it took a number of months.

Bill

L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

stephen

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 05:38:50 PM »
I started doing 1/2 leg extensions over a pillow to get my quad to loosen up then went on to doing 1/2 extensions on a Nautilus leg extension machine-less than 2 weeks after surgery. I did this till I could finally feel my quad doing full range of motion.

Now at 12 weeks after surgery I am doing full squats with light weight as well as leg presses.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat