+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How important is it to get PT with resurface experience?  (Read 3497 times)

jack

How important is it to get PT with resurface experience?
« on: May 04, 2010, 12:58:15 PM »
I talked with my surgeons office with questions regarding this. They told me that the restrictions and procedures are the same as when a THR is done so it's not that important. This seems contrary to what I have read although I cannot pull up the specific threads that I read before. It's just an impression that I have I guess. Also, they said that they would provide their care plan to whatever PT company I end up with. I can either choose my own or they will find one for me if needed.

Since I am out in the middle of nowhere I have my doubts about finding someone with experience with resurfacing rehab. This may not hold water as I am just starting my research on what is available out here for PT. Since I have this vast resource available here on this site I thought I would ask and see what the consensus was.

Right BHR by Dr. Clarke  5-19-10

My BHR Story

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: How important is it to get PT with resurface experience?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 01:45:09 PM »
Hi Jack

Some surgeons don't even suggest any special PT after surgery.  They give you some immediate exercises and stretches for a few weeks after surgery, but nothing after that.  I went to Dr. De Smet and after I left Belgium at 9 days post op, there was no special PT required.  Many doctors just suggest you walk, walk and walk.  Some have programs they suggest - so it depends on your surgeon.  The one thing I can say is that I have read thousands of stories and whether you get a lot of post op PT or nothing but walking and living your life - we all pretty much end up in the same place eventually - healed and without pain.  If you are an athlete and do some special sport that is your living, you might want to coordinate your recovery PT with your surgeon.

So there is no answer to your question.  It depends on your surgeon.

I did do some water walking at about 6 weeks post op and it helped my stiffness after sitting.  Once I did that for a couple weeks, that stiffeness went away.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

jack

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 04:07:38 PM »
Ok Great! One less thing to fret about lol.
Thanks Pat  (again)   ;D
Right BHR by Dr. Clarke  5-19-10

My BHR Story

doris

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:40:06 AM »
I had a RBH by Dr. Peter Brooks at the CVleveland Clinic.  I had PT in the hospital - they showed me the excersises I need to do 3 x a day (for the next year - I believe) and that is it as far as PT. Also was told to ride a recumbent bike with zero resistance.  This all helps improve range of motion.  I am doing fine!  No muscle was cut - so I guess that might be one reason why no PT was necessary!
RBHR 04/12/10 - Dr. Peter Brooks, Cleveland Clinic

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat