+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is 50% weight normal or is WBAT  (Read 8984 times)

JarheadTN

Is 50% weight normal or is WBAT
« on: May 08, 2010, 06:59:14 PM »
Normally, I believe my Surgeon - Dr Jeffrey Hodrick in Nashville puts his patients on WBAT - Weight Bearing as Tolerated after 2 weeks. This would give me the opportunity to do some walking.

My discharge orders called for 50% weight on R leg after resurfacing for 4 weeks.  This means using the walker for 4 weeks and I am a 47 year old, former Marine.  I am coming on on 14 days post op and I feel like I can walk a mile. 

What are some of the norms out there for restrictions. I understand and am following to the letter the 90Degree angle, no Internal Rotation, no crossing mid-line, no straight leg lifts but I don't understand the 50%.

Thank you in advance.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Is 50% weight normal or is WBAT
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 07:10:17 PM »
Hi

Each doctor has their own post op protocol.  That is why I suggest you ask before surgery.  Often the less expeirnced surgeons are much more conservative than the really exprerienced surgeons or the overseas surgeons.  You need to listen to your own surgeon. He might know something we don't since we are not doctors.

The overseas surgeons are less conservative since they have done thousands of resurfacings.  I was able to do 100% weight bearing right away.  Of course, I really couldn't, but put as much weight as I could.  I was using one crutch at 4 days post op and none at 3 weeks.  That was pretty standard for Dr. De Smet patients.

Just the same, you need to listen to your own surgeon.  Why not ask to use some elbow crutches. They are much easier to use.  Easier than the under arm crutches.  You really only need one if you use it on the opposite leg since that takes about 60% of the weight off the leg.  It is used like a cane.

Ask your surgeon for permission to switch to crutches or a cane.  Don't do it without permission.  If something happens, he won't be responsible.  Also there might be something in your hip that he needs you to be conservative about.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

fenceman

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 01:23:29 PM »
I had the same 14 day restrictions but I was given crutches.  Walkers are a pain in the butt.  I then switched to one crutch and stayed with 50%.  At least I could carry something in the other hand or open a door.  I was suppose to stay on crutches for 6 weeks but I felt so good I started using a cane at 5 weeks.  I continued to use one for a while when I went on long walks, such as going to an amusement park.  It helped me walk straighter and not limp.

The PT dept. at Cleveland Clinic treated me like a THR patient with all the restrictions you described.  My Dr. laughed and said don't listen to them.  I didn't have any restrictions except for the weight bearing.  

Still, as Pat said, "Listen to your Dr."
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

jack

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 03:02:47 PM »
A friend of mine loaned me a set of these for my upcoming recovery -

http://www.walkeasy.com/shop/product_details.asp?ProductCode=450
Right BHR by Dr. Clarke  5-19-10

My BHR Story

AnnieS

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 10:43:44 AM »
 I would suggest double checking with your doctor's office.  My discharge papers said also 50% but when I called my doctor's office to confirm this (I had been told it would be WBAT), they confirmed that in fact the 50% was not correct and that it was supposed to be weight bearing as tolerated. Apparently the hospital and the my own doctor were having communication problems.   I happened to have my home physical therapist right there when my doctor's office returned my call so I had them speak directly to her as well just to make sure that I completely understood.  She was very relieved to hear that it was WBAT as she explained this would allow me considerably more mobility over the next weeks and most importantly, would allow me to return to my home (I was staying with a family member) which requires me to walk up three flights of stairs.  I progressed from walker to crutches to crutch to cane.  Now at seven weeks I am still using the cane for long walks as I still have trouble with a proper gait and putting 100 percent of my weight on the injured leg.  Everything seems to be improving though.  But do check on this question with your doctor -- I am so glad I did.

doris

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 11:37:06 AM »
i had a RBH by Dr. Peter Brooks at the Cleveland Clinic on 04/12 and am on 75% weight bearing for 7 weeks.  It is annoying - but - I'll do anything to make this heal properly.  As for the 90 Degree angle - I don't have tht restriction or any other restrictions usually associated with hip replacement - thank goodness. I too feel like I probably could walk without the weight bearing restriction - but - figure that will come soon enough!  :) :)
RBHR 04/12/10 - Dr. Peter Brooks, Cleveland Clinic

tricky

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 09:36:12 PM »
Hey jarhead...squid here....my DR gave me weight restrictions as well.  No weight the first 2 weeks, 50% second two weeks.  I couldn't really get an explanation for the limits other than "his protocol" and tried to comply.  By week 3 I took it upon myself to determine that 50% meant one crutch and walking heel down.  By the time I went in for the 4 week checkout I was down to a cane.  The 4 week check went fine so and I was cleared for any and all activities...no restrictions whatsover.  So I guess the bottom line is listen to your dr. but listen to your own body as well.  You might also try to get a clarification on all the limits you mentioned because that's one of the big advantages of BHR - you don't have those limitations.  Good luck.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat