+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Booked  (Read 8531 times)

Lopsided

Booked
« on: May 16, 2010, 10:39:44 AM »
Well I am excited, I have just got my confirmation from Belgium and I am going in three months. Dr De Smet will be giving me an uncemented Conserve. I asked for it specifically because I saw the story 'Ted's Uncemented Wright Conserve Plus' on the front of this site.

I feel better already.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

DonC

Re: Booked
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 11:09:14 AM »
Congratulations!

Did Dr. De Smet agree with your decision to have uncemented?
What device would he have suggested if it were left up to him?

I'm very curious to hear what his opinion is on this subject.

Thanks

Don

Lopsided

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 11:36:03 AM »
Don,

Dr. De Smet stated that there is only two years follow up on uncemented devices, and I acknowledged this before I got confirmation. He also stated that the cemented Conserve+ was the best, no doubt from his experience. I am sure he would prefer to use this, but I was determined for uncemented.

So that is my forthright choice for a conservative operation.

Dan

resurface

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 03:00:06 PM »
Sorry for not knowing, but why the preference for uncemented? Thanks...

Jamie N

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 08:16:04 PM »
Hi! I just had a uncemented put in.They say long term with goood bone dencety it will out last cement wich starts to break down,I don't believe they nhave proven it totally yet. If they do!

Lopsided

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 09:04:32 PM »
Hi Jamie,

I am glad to know of other uncemented hippies. What device did you get, and which surgeon?

Resurface, there are lots of articles on this site so I won't list all the reasons, but broadly, it should not be worse than cemented but could be much better.

Dan

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 06:43:55 PM »
Hi

Glad you are going to Dr. De Smet.  In my opinon you cant do any better. He was my surgeon 4 years ago when I received my cemented BHR.   You will be in good hands.

Interesting that he is going to do an uncemented Wright C+   The Wright C+ is an excellent hip device and he does a lot of them.  I had not heard about him doing many uncemented resurfacings yet.  Obviously, he is willing to do some.

The conclusion of the uncemented being better than a cemented device in a good surgeons hand has not yet been proven.  A couple years of only 400 patients from Dr. Gross is not yet published proof.  The proof will come 10 to 15 years down the road.  The BHR cemented has been placed into over 125,000 patients and has a retention record of 96%.  That's pretty good at 12 years since thye have been tracking it sinc 1998.  Time will tell about the uncemented femur component.

Meanwhile, I am not worried about mine since there is such a good track record.  I think it is great that some people are willing to try new techniques - that's they only way doctors can learn and develop new devices and techniques.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Lopsided

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 11:53:48 AM »
Hi

Glad you are going to Dr. De Smet.  In my opinon you cant do any better. He was my surgeon 4 years ago when I received my cemented BHR.   You will be in good hands.

Interesting that he is going to do an uncemented Wright C+   The Wright C+ is an excellent hip device and he does a lot of them.  I had not heard about him doing many uncemented resurfacings yet.  Obviously, he is willing to do some.

Pat

Pat,

Apparently, I am Dr. De Smet's first uncemented and he does not yet intend to do them generally. All the other patients at the Villa either have the cemented C+, or those getting total have the Adler with ceramic ball and insert.

I am glad I followed your advice and got it done here.

Dan
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:55:42 AM by lopsided »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz