+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Surgery with Dr. Su  (Read 4466 times)

tseeley

Surgery with Dr. Su
« on: November 08, 2007, 08:48:20 AM »
Hey All,

I met with Dr. Su yesterday and have what is described as a severely arthritic left hip(no surprise!) Anyway, I am fortunately an ideal candidate for hip resurfacing. And even more fortunately one of his surgeries was cancelled tomorrow and they're getting me in! So off I go tomorrow for my new hip! I'm nervous, but totally psyched! I'll keep you all posted when I get out.

tom

P.S. Hey Vicky, I told Dr. Su you said hi
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 04:18:07 PM by Pat Walter »

Terry_Smith

• Me and my Family
Re: Surgery with Dr. Su
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 09:15:41 AM »
  How good for you!  I'm glad you don't have to wait long at all.  Good luck.

Terry

tseeley

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 09:25:11 AM »
Thanks Terry! It was either tomorrow or mid Jan.  60 days is a long time when you're hurtin'.

avid

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 11:20:39 AM »
Good for you! No time to get the jitters under those circumstances. Can you get out and buy the medical supplies you need or do you have a SO that can do it for you. Best wishes and get back to us as soon as you can.

avid

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 12:57:50 PM »
That is great to get in so soon.  Dr. Su is definitely one of the best, you will be in excellent hands tomorrow.  I was lucky to meet him last week at the ortho conference, he is a very dedicated surgeon.  Please say hi to him for me.  Let us know how you are doing when you get the chance.  See you on the other side!  :-)

Vicky

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 02:58:01 PM »
Good Luck with your Surgery.  There are many happy Dr. Su hippies.

You will soon be without pain and walking around on your new hip.

Keep in touch when you can.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

tseeley

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 03:31:47 PM »
Thanks Pat....i'll definitely let you know how it goes. This time tomorrow, i'll have a new hip. I can't believe it!

t

tseeley

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 08:30:21 AM »
Hey All,

So i had a lbhr on friday and came home last night. Every thing was text book. i'm surprised at my high levels of pain, but i can deal. I'm easily walking w crutches and can do all the exercises. i think the pain will continually subside. I'll keep you all posted.

tom
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 04:14:54 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 04:23:16 PM »
Hi Tom

Congratulations on being an official Surface Hippy!

Glad everything went well for you.  I guess having pain is not unusual.  Many of us were lucky to not have much and only need something like Advil.  Others needed heavy medications to help out for awhile after surgery.  Hopefully, they sent you home with some good pain meds.

If you think your pain gets worse when you are doing your exercises - back off a little.  You are really early in the game and don't want to overdue. Dr. De Smet always said - do less than you think you can.

Take it easy for now.  Hope you are able to sleep.  Putting pillows under your legs when you are in bed helps.  It also keeps your legs higher.  I could not sleep well after surgery for about 2 weeks. The heprin shots seemed to bother me.  I did a lot of sleeping and napping in my lazy-boy chair. That felt good. 

Time will pass quickly and after awhile, you will forget all about the surgery part and start to enjoy life with a new hip.

Good Luck and keep in touch.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

tseeley

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 08:55:06 AM »
Thanks Pat,

I know a lot of people had minimal post op pain and that's why I'm surprised by my high level. It just goes to show everybody's different when it comes to this. I'm definitely getting better with each passing day though. The hospital already sent a nurse to my house to check on me, and I have a PT person coming this afternoon.

I am definitely taking it easy and looking forward to getting back!

Best,

tom

Vicky

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 09:44:43 PM »
Hi Tom,

Welcome to the other side!  Yes, everyone's pain level is very different.  I woke up in a lot of pain after my surgery but it happened that they used a pain med that doesn't work really well for me.  Once they switched me I did a lot better.  Just take the pain meds the prescribe you as needed.  Your recovery will go better if you are not suffereing in pain.  Make sure you do all the prescribed PT exercises and walk a lot but more importantly rest a lot.  Give yourself time to heal.

Vicky

tseeley

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 07:58:34 AM »
Hi Vicky,

I did mention you to Dr. Su and he smiled. Thanks for getting back, and all I can say is that I'm getting some good practice for when I need to get my right hip done!

Best,

t

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat