+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 10 weeks post op and back to cycling  (Read 3191 times)

dougmint

10 weeks post op and back to cycling
« on: June 03, 2010, 07:36:51 PM »
My doctor lifted all restrictions at my 10 week check-up.  He had previously told me that I could start cycling outside after 8 weeks post-op, which I started doing.  I am up to 40 miles now.  However, it is not easy.  My operated thigh has lost about 1 inch in diameter of muscle, so I am finding that I don't have the strength to really sprint or charge up hills.  I am thankful that at least I can get out and ride again.  No more pain in the hip.

resurface

Re: 10 weeks post op and back to cycling
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 08:01:24 PM »
dougmint

Hi.  Nice to be riding again!  I am 4 weeks out and started riding on my indoor trainer for about 10 - 20mins twice a day last week.  Interesting in my mind is that my "hip" feels great.  Can't tell that I have an implant.  Like you, I have lost size.  I found that doing a short ride enabled my other PT exercises to be done more easily.  I also found that my groin gets sore and that needs to be built up again.

Sounds like you are doing well... keep up the progress.

johnoke

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 04:42:44 PM »
Good to know! I just got on my trainer (post op 5 weeks) and it felt good to cycle a bit. Definitely out of shape, but I was never in much shape to begin with. I'd also like to start on my elliptical trainer, and have done a few minutes, but I think I'll wait for my 6 week checkup to verify that's ok. I know my stamina has taken a huge it, so I'm hopeful that will get me back into shape more quickly.

jwtoto

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 11:59:32 PM »
Hi,

Cycling is great exercise for we resurfacing people, no doubt. However, if you fall off of a bike on that hip, that is not good- as you can well imagine. From what I have picked up from the writings of the doctors who do this surgery regularly, the bone at the surgery site takes up to a year to regain full strength. So, if you want to risk getting out on the road or trail while your bone is still weakened that is up to you. You can get the same exercise with your bike on a training stand and have none of the risk. I've decided not to be in a hurry to get back on the trails and roads with my bike.

Jerry
Jerry RBHR Dr. Su 4/15/2010

Sherri

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 09:20:33 PM »
I agree with Jerry! Protect Thy Hip!  ;) all costs

larry2458

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 04:56:16 AM »
Hi,

Cycling is great exercise for we resurfacing people, no doubt. However, if you fall off of a bike on that hip, that is not good- as you can well imagine. From what I have picked up from the writings of the doctors who do this surgery regularly, the bone at the surgery site takes up to a year to regain full strength. So, if you want to risk getting out on the road or trail while your bone is still weakened that is up to you. You can get the same exercise with your bike on a training stand and have none of the risk. I've decided not to be in a hurry to get back on the trails and roads with my bike.

Jerry
i'll be coming up to 2 years post op next month and i can't remember all the offs i've had on my mountain bikes.the last time, in april i hit the ground hard enough to break 2 ribs and the april before i landed on my coccyx.
both times i was more worried about my hip.

clumsy larry
lbmh 16th october 2008

CarolUK

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 05:39:50 AM »
I'm almost 12 weeks post-op and have been cycling along my local country lanes for about 5 weeks now. I usually cycle for about 45 minutes and each ride includes one or two short, steep climbs. I have no adverse reaction whatsoever in my hip; the main reason for the cycling, apart from the enjoyment, is to strengthen my atrophied quad muscle in operated leg and this seems to be happening - slowly, but surely. Hydro-therapy has been the saving grace for me tho'  ;D

larry2458

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 08:32:25 AM »
i got back into cycling as quickly as i could too but like you any pool work i did really paid off.the weather is a bit wet though for off-road today.
lbmh 16th october 2008

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat