+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any experience with Lovenox injections needed please  (Read 4661 times)

ginnie

Any experience with Lovenox injections needed please
« on: June 10, 2010, 01:26:35 PM »
I will be undergoing my second replacement at the end of the month with a different doctor. This one uses Lovenox injections as the prophalayxis for DVT,, previously I took cumadin and my blood never reached theraputic levels, which althogh it terrified me ,, didnt seem to worry my doctor all that much. Can someone tell me of their experience giving themselves these injections, did they work ,, are you monitored twice a week to check the thinning ? any complications or difficulty giving yourself these injections ? thanks in advance

tcarroll

Re: Any experience with Lovenox injections needed please
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 01:55:16 PM »
Hi,

I had to take Arixtra(blood thinner) injections for 21 days post surgery.The first week and a half was done by a nurse.They showed my wife how to do it,and it wasnt bad at all.She gave me the shot in the baby fat of the belly.The needle is only about one inch long,and after injection was complete it retracted back in syringe.Nurse recomeneded putting empty syringe in an empty disposable water bottle.Pretty neat safety feature.Although it was not bad i was sure glad when that last shot came.I had one blood check after i got home and that was it,didnt have any side effects that i know of.Hope this help's.

Tim

ginnie

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 01:57:38 PM »
Im surprised only one blood check ? did your INR reach theraputic levels ?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 06:17:10 PM »
Hi

I gave myself heprin shots in the tummy for 14 days.  There is no monitoring like there is for warfrin for heart problems.  You are not taking it long enough.  Even when you take it long term, they often only check once a month.  So you are not on it that long.  Your tummy will look like a war zone with a bunch of bruises.  The needles are small and if you push the plunger SLOWLY - it won't hurt much.  If you push it fast - it really stung for me.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

wayne-0

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 01:27:10 AM »
I had to give myself lovenex shots once a day for 14 days after surgery. In the stomach area right next to the belly button. I alternated sides every night. The nurse showed me how the first night and from there on it was really no big deal. It burns a little bit for a few seconds but that goes away fairly quickly. The needle itself didn't hurt at all. You will be fine. If you can't give yourself a shot, have someone do it for you.
Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 09:20:07 AM »
Dr. Gross used to use Arixtra, of course after my surgery he started using aspirin.... it's no big deal, it's a short VERY sharp small needle, I did 21 days in the belly and never minded it at all.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

stephen

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 11:28:38 AM »
I did the shots for 14 days after my surgery. I'm still here so I guess they worked ;D
The only thing I hated was the stinging of the drug going in;other than that it was uneventful

fenceman

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 10:28:30 AM »
I had my wife give them to me.  I think it was for 1-1/2 week after I got out of the hospital.  I did not get any blood tests until my 6 week check-up.  It wasn't a big deal but I did not like it. 
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

jay

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 09:19:55 AM »
Hi I am 14 days post op I am using lovonex, giving yourself shot is very easy and does not hurt! you pinch your roll at the waist and give yourself the shot, the only issue is your head at first. It is really nothing. I have had two sessions and I do not know if it is from the lovenex. I had some pains in my belly and upset stomach. Kind of like a light flu feeling. Again it could have been anything. I am also taking Celebrex. But really no big deal giving the shot. Do not worry about it you can do it.
Jay

ginnie

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 12:35:32 PM »
Are there any food restrictions like there is for the coumadin ? I know I could not eat salads or any kind of green vegetable after my first resurface with the coumadin ,, that was hard .. I love salads .. oh and THANK YOU ALL for replying ,, it really helps with my anxiety ,, reading all these side affects really can get one worked up !

Lopsided

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 09:54:12 AM »
I don't understand, can you explain the connection between blood thinner and salad.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 10:43:31 AM »
Hi

Vitamin K which is found in many vegtables and salad ingredients can change the levels of Coumadin/warfrin/blood thinner  when you are on it longterm.  When you are on it regularly as people with valve replacements - you need to monitor your level.  If you eat a lot of veggies and salads, it means your dose of warfrin needs to be higher.  People that use it all the time like those with valve replacements simply eat their normal diet and then adjust their dose of blood thinner to match their life style.  People that don't understand a lot about it think you should not eat certain vegetables and salads. Again, it is an issue that you need to reasearch and learn about if you acutally use it long term.  I don't think 14 days of shots for hip replacment is that much of a concern. Personal opinion.  Always ask your surgeon if you have questions about your treatment.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Jerome Arnold

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 12:06:39 AM »
Ginnie,
I am presently taking Lovenox and have completed 7 of 10 injections.  After three injections, I really don't think twice about giving myself these injections.  I found the best way to inject yourself is at a 90 degree angle.  My first injection was about at a 45 degree angle which I think caused slight discomfort and bruising. 

Jerry

Hitman

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 03:38:45 PM »
I'm two weeks post-op for my right BHR.  The Lovenox shots are really messing me up.  I feel weak and I can't stand up or sit up even for more than an hour.  This is killing my PT.  I had blood work done yesterday and am waiting for the results.  My counts may be out of wack.  The doctor may take me off the Lovenox.  Let's see.

john

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 03:45:21 PM »
the shots don't hurt a bit
measure everything compared with the hip pain we have all endured until we got them fixed and nothing compares
it's been 4 years since I had my second BHR and I couldn't be happier with the results
any of you out there wondering if it's the right thing to do
my advice is, find the best skilled BHR surgeon nearby and get it done
this website was an incredible resource and support for me pre and post op and I just stopped back to say thanks

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat