+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Roller blading as a build-up to ice?  (Read 7810 times)

johnoke

Roller blading as a build-up to ice?
« on: June 17, 2010, 04:55:40 PM »
I'm 5 weeks post-op today (6/17/10), feeling great, and am hoping to get back on the ice this season (Sep 2010). I'm a goalie, but would consider playing forward this season if I'm not ready for the rigors of the net.

I'm wondering if others think that's reasonable? I also want to start roller blading soon so I can get the muscles working. What are others' experiences in hockey rehab?

Thanks!

John

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Roller blading as a build-up to ice?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 10:08:05 PM »
Hi

Why would you roller blade?  Why not go ice skating? That is what your muscles are use to. It is best to stick with the sports you are use to doing.  Get approval from your surgeon first.  I would think you could get hurt as much with roller blading as ice skating - especially if you are not use to it.  You need to be careful for about 6 months. It takes that long to mostly heal and a full year to completely heal.  Personally, I would prefer ice skating when you are given permission to do so.  No matter what - stay conservative and don't push anything until you are healed.  You have plenty of time to play when everything is healed and ready to go.  You can't force yourself to heal - you can push to the point of injuring yourself and setting your recovery back or worse - requiring a revision.

Be patient.  It will all work out in time.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

johnoke

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 03:19:04 PM »
The motion of roller blades is very close to ice, and much more convenient since it's pretty hard to find ice in the summer. It actually works the muscles a little harder because of the friction.

At my 6-week visit, doc said I'm doing great. He said the bones will be fully healed at the 3-month mark, not 6. After that, he says, I'm cleared to do anything, including impact activities. He doesn't recommend running marathons, but says he has several patients who have! I'll wait till after 3 months and give it a shot.

For now, he said I'm ok to bicycle and use my elliptical trainer, which should help a lot. Now to just work up the motivation!

johnoke

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 09:12:19 AM »
I was roller blading at about 6 weeks. It really helped the stability of the hip. Yes, you need to have experience because you certainly don't want to fall, so I would only recommend it to those who have access to smooth surfaces and are confident in their ability.

jbc

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 12:02:35 PM »
Hey John,

Did your doctor say that the bones were fully healed at the 3 month mark?  I'm looking to get back to skating as well after my surgery in a couple of days.  From what I've read and heard the actual femoral neck bone is at its weakest at the 3 month point and then around 90-95% at the 6 month point.  Fully healed at the 1 year mark.  I'm pretty sure I'll be waiting until the 6 month point before I get back on the ice.  My doctor has already told me that he won't be giving his blessing for actually playing hockey again until a year has passed.

Joe

johnoke

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 01:10:02 PM »
hey Joe,
No, sorry if I missstated. He didn't say "completely healed," he said it was ok to resume normal activities, including hockey. Yes, he said it takes 1 year to reach full healing. I played hockey at the 3 month mark as a forward, and then goalie at the 5 month mark. I also had the advantage of having my physical therapist on my hockey team, so I followed his advice closely, and he prepared me with special exercises for goaltending.

I should also mention that I play "old man" hockey, so no checking. That would be more concerning, I'm sure.

Obviously you should listen to your doctor, but wow, that's a big difference. I'm sure he's recommending the safest approach, but you should have a talk with him and your PT at 3-4 months.

Good luck!

jbc

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 12:21:04 PM »
Hi John,

Thanks.  Yeah, I'll be pushing to get back as soon as I can as well.  I'm a former goalie myself only quiting in my later 30's after blowing an ACL in a motocross accident.  I play D now with the "kids" so it can get a little rough although technically not a checking league.  Hopefully, I progress well in PT so my return schedule is shortened.

Joe

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal