+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: sonogram reveals fluid  (Read 4298 times)

ahershberger

sonogram reveals fluid
« on: June 24, 2010, 11:21:33 AM »
Bilateral resurfacing Aug/Dec.08 Dr. Cook Leawood Kansas.
My right hip pain has developed into presurgery level pain and have found out today that there is fluid there. Does anyone know if revisions are done for this without having to go the THR route? I am also having the metal allergy panel done next week.
Alison H
P.S. Prescription anti-inflammatory gives me relief.

dw

Re: sonogram reveals fluid
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 09:12:23 AM »
The fluid is probably a symptom- what is causing fluid and pain (and apparently swelling if NSAIDs work) - that is what needs to be determined. Hopefully you can get the necessary tests to see what the underlying issue is.

stevel

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 02:26:56 PM »
Listen to Mr. McMinn's video interview, part 2 with Vicky Marlow listed on this website.  He had 10 revisions of 3000 + resurfacings of which 9 were due to fluid accummulation and 1 was due to pseudotumors.  The fluid accummulation could be due to faulty device placement.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 07:06:11 PM by stevel »
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

ahershberger

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 03:45:09 PM »
Thanks for these replies.

I understand from my doctor that I have (almost) the smallest femerol head and that there tends to be more problems with those although my left bhr is fine...I will find out in a couple weeks about exactly what metal allergy exists (if there is any) so that I may be able to keep one bhr! I sure hope so...

dw

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 03:55:03 PM »
since you have two - and only issues on one side, it seems to me that it wouldn't be allergies, but hopefully tests of reaction and also MRI/X-Ray can show what the underlying problem happens to be.

ahershberger

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 04:08:37 PM »
The weird thing is that every xray and ct scan show I should be fine. They look like textbook work; only when they did the ultrasound did they see fluid...that combined with the high ions is what has my doc concerned.

ahershberger

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 04:10:54 PM »
I guess my advice to anyone experiencing significant pain (especially a year after) is to be persistent until you find out why the pain is there...it isn't normal.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 12:07:37 PM »
Allison

My one recommendation would be to get some input from the really top expeirnced hip resurfacing surgeons so you have more information to make a decision.  Your surgeon has not done thousands as the top surgeons have.  Many of the less expiernced surgeons look at x-rays and say the device looks perfect - when the more experinced can see problems.

Dr. Gross, Dr. De Smet, Dr. Bose and a few others will give you a free email consultation.  Send them an email with a copy of your x-rays and information.  Get some more input.  Don't rely on one surgeon.  Not even good to do if you are using one of the top surgeons. 

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

ahershberger

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 02:16:31 PM »
Pat: Yes I told Dr. Cook that I had intended to send my xrays to other more experienced physicians and they gladly provided me copies. I will do this so I know that if a THR is needed that those experts agree.
Thanks.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal