+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: back pain  (Read 2705 times)

sharleen

back pain
« on: June 24, 2010, 06:59:44 PM »
I find this web site amazing because at least I can vent my frustrations with you guys and not complain to my friends and family. They of course don't "get it" because none of them have experienced it and think that because you are 9 weeks after the event then you must be fine! The latest vent of my frustration is the terrible back pain that I now have after sitting for any length of time. I see a physio once a week and she is trying to sort it out but nothing seems to be working. I know I complained a while ago about my limp but this all seems to be part of the problem. It is obviously muscular but who do you go to to sort that out? How can I go from extreme hip pain and now on to extreme back pain. It doesn't seem fair. I am exercising like mad but am beyond frustrated. I have absolutely no pain in my hip and never have done after the surgery but this back pain is almost worse! Please one of you tell me that it's going to be OK and it will go away!
S

moe

Re: back pain
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 07:54:08 PM »
Maybe your back is adjusting to the new alignment in your hip and needs more time. Is the pain while you are sitting or after you get up? Have you tried different types of chairs? I find that a straight back chair works best for me. moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

sharleen

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 08:37:07 PM »
It's after I get up or when I get out of bed (that's not so bad) but it just seems to be getting worse rather than better. The first few weeks after the op I was fine...or as far as I can remember with everything else that was going on.
S.

Lopsided

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 10:02:11 PM »
Sharleen, now that your hips are reinforced with chromium steel, your back is not as strong as your hips and you might need to strengthen your back. You could ask your physio for some back exercises and posture tips.

Hope this helps.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Jeff

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 10:18:02 PM »
Sharleen,
     Certainly check with your surgeon, or your PT person.  I am 10 week post op LBHR, and have existing lumbar spine issues.  Some of my back pain went away after surgery and some returned after surgery.  I continued walking, as this also a very good treatment for back pain and back issues, but the back pain seemed to increase.  I continued my PT and walking even more and worked through the back pain and it went away, but thats just me.  I noted that for me that initial back pain was improved after surgery.....to me indicating that the hip resurfacing improved conditions, but during rehab when my back pain increased I wasn't sure......but determined that my back was probably not strong enough.  I contiued walking, and perhaps for you,... your PT person can offer massage for back and help target weak areas and help you strengthen those areas.   As said by many....you have been through major surgery and your body needs to heal and adjust....different stretching exercises for your back may help as well...go to your health experts, they will help.

Good luck, Jeff

resurface

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 08:47:04 AM »
Sharleen

Hi.  Assuming that you had no other back complications, keep in mind that all the soft tissue is connected [no pun intended].  So the hamstrings attach into the rear of the pelvis and quads into the front side [generally]... all affecting posture and the back.  While I have no back issues (@ 7 weeks post surgery) I am often sore after my rehab sessions which consist of stretching and deep tissue massages.  What PT folks tell me is that the good side is still compensating for the surgical side and on the surgical side you have shortening of everyting to protect the body.  Hence, the reason that my PT plan has so much stretching and messaging in addition to the strength program.  My PT people spend a great deal of time focusing on the the piriformis.  Mine is tight and they feel this is a key element. This approach is working for me.  It may be worth a discussion at your next PT session. One other note, I have been asked to stretch 3x a day.

I hope this adds a bit... good luck.

ahershberger

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 04:02:56 PM »
Back pain was my first complaint after both hips were done...however in my case the pain then went into the outside hip area which i thought was bursitis and has now progressed into the groin. This has been over a year and a half period. I am awaiting confirmation that I will require a revision.  I too was told to strenghthen my back so I went to extensive phsyical therapy; then I had the steroid shot into the hip; with no relief except for prescription strength NSAIDs, I then told my surgeon I wanted to send my xrays to the overseas experts and he then sent me for a ct scan and blood work. my ions are 10x the normal high and a sonogram reveals fluid...and so i wait to see...i am a petite woman with a small femoral head and apparently i fit the category of those possible revision candidates. Would this have happened with THE best surgeon? who knows....I just hope to keep my left bhr provided my metal panel comes back clean.
Best of luck.

Lopsided

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 10:22:21 PM »
... after both hips were done...then I had the steroid shot into the hip.

You had a steroid shot after your hips were done!

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

AnnieS

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 12:47:53 PM »
I had really bad back pain when I first started PT which they helped me with by giving me easy stretches to do (eg sitting on a chair, bending over to touch each foot with the opposite hand, or as close as I could get).  The stretches helped tremendously.  They also do a lot of trigger point work, where they find the tight muscle and push at it until the muscle releases.  Finally they have me doing a variety of back strengthening exercises.  The result:  no more back pain sitting down and just a little bit at other times if I am tired.  I always get nervous  when I get a new pain thinking something has gone wrong but so far, knock on wood, any problems have resolved themselves relatively quickly.  Basically my muscles are have gone so unused for so long, I think they rebel every time I try something new.  I am now about 12 weeks out.  Having pain on the side of the leg approx at the sight of the scar after walking much further than I had walked before.  It has only been a few days. 

sharleen

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 10:08:22 AM »
thanks for your info. I am exactly 10 weeks today. The best thing that I did was to go and have a 90 minute sports massage (deep tissue)a couple of days ago. Oh my God - it hurt so good if you know the expression. I will now do this once a week. I am now stretching a lot more and am doing various exercises that everyone has suggested. I feel SO much better and my limp has gone! YAY!!!! Thank you so much everyone.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat