+-

Author Topic: Leg Length Difference  (Read 25216 times)

Kathe

revision?
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 07:12:39 PM »
Hi!

This is my first post to the group.  I had a resurface done on my left hip in 2005 and was thrilled with the result.  I travelled to India, but unfortunately could not afford to return and had my second surgery on the right side done in Canada. At that point the OA was advanced and I was assured that I would receive what the Dr. said would be a mid way op between a resurface and a THR.  I was given a full THR and have a LLD of 3/4 inch shorter on my THR side.  It has been 11 months and I still have a limp.  My doctor called it minimal and said to get a shoe insert. My question is whether I should be considering a revision ( with a different  doctor )and if anyone here knows of good...great otrtho doctor in B.C.  Or if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks
Kathe 

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy
Re: Leg Length Difference
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 07:39:47 PM »
Hi Kathe

Welcome to Hip Talk.  I am really sorry to hear about your LLD.  I guess no one can say what they would do in your case, but major surgery to get a revision is diffiuclt on the body and emotions.  Have your tried a shoe lift?  I think it might be worth a try for awhile to see how things go.  It is too bad your surgeon did not watch more closely when he was placing your THR.  I suppose you could try to get a second and third opinon about what the other surgeons suggest if you can find several really experienced ones.  I don't have many on my list for BC or even for much of Canada.  You can send an email and x-ray to Dr. Gross of South Carolina and ask his opinon.  He will give you a free consultation.  You could also ask Dr. Bose of India by emailing him.  They will give you free consults via email.  At least that would give you a little more information to think about.  Both Dr. Gross and Bose's information is on my doctors list  http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Kathe

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 08:23:35 PM »
Thanks Pat,

I really appreciate your reply.  Guess I will give the shoe insert a try.  I cringe at the thought of a revision.

Love the photo of you with the dogs   ;D

Kathe

Luann

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 08:35:11 PM »
Hi Kathe, I am the original poster with about the same leg lengh difference as you. At first, it really bothered me. Then I got used to the way it felt when I walked, but it still bothered me whenever I had to stand for long periods of time. While standing with the LLD, I would either have to spread my stance (to compensate) or put all my weight on my "good" leg with my HR leg bent. This was not comfortable enough for me.
  I have been wearing a lift now for the last 7 months now (I am 1 yr post op), and it has made all the difference. I wear a specialty shoe called a Z-coil, and so the lift is external (between the coil and the shoe). I do plan, however (for times when I can't wear the Z-coils) to get regular shoes made with higher undersole made. I hear that there are special stores that make the shoes custom to your height adjustment needs.
 I tried putting the lift on the inside of my regular shoes, but with a difference as great as 3/4 inch, it put my foot too close to the top of my shoe. I would reccomend getting at least one pair of comfortable shoes custom made for you with the heel of the shoe bulked-up to your needs, and trying to walk around in them, before I would go through surgery again. Good luck! Lu
 PS. Since I wear the Z-coils almost exclusively, do any hippies out there know what the stores are called that make the custom lift in regular shoes? Thanks, Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

sfinrecovery

• Right Hip BHR November 8, 2010
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 11:22:59 PM »
Hi, Luann,

thanks for starting this chat.  I do have a leg length difference as well, however, my difference is that the BHR leg is longer than the good one... so I am using the lifts on the good leg and going through the "testing" part of it.  Best!

Dear Pat,

I am interested in sending my latest x-ray to the couple of doctors that you all have mentioned who is willing to take a look at the x-ray and provide for an evaluation.  I have the CD form the hospital, how can I convert it into a file I can e-mail.  I have been able to convert it into a PDF, but I suppose that may not be enough?

Thanks!

Luann

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 04:18:27 PM »
Hi San Fran,

Thanks for your post. Actually, it IS my HR'd leg that is longer. I have the "lifts" on the shoe with the non-operated leg. I am getting very used to the LLD now, even when I do not wear a lifted shoe. I still perfer to use the lifted and therefore balanced shoes whenever I hike, work, etc. Just walking around the house, though, I'm often barefoot or in plain old slippers and do not limp at all, even with the 3/4" difference.
 Hope you find it more comfortable, too, as time goes on.   Lu

sfinrecovery

• Right Hip BHR November 8, 2010
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2011, 10:57:57 PM »
Thanks, Lu!  This particular posting has been very helpful in understanding my LLD... it seems like it is more commonly expected that I thought after a BHR?  I have had to take on the "lifts" improvements on my own.  I have looked for podiatrist and orthopedist second opinions that have indicated the LLD is "between 1/8" to 1/2" difference..  Since I am 6 foot tall the Z coils add to much height, so I am looking at orthopedic inserts that are custom made to the foot to address not only the height differential but also any balance issue, such as arch support.

The main concern is that with the limp comes pain.... I have not been able to secure pain free walking after 9 months post surgery.  It is still either the groin pain and glute pain, or some very deep set dull pain on the hip joint.  Maybe growing pains?  I do not have an answer yet.... but keep on looking at the options, considering ongoing exercises, Feldenkreis, stretching, some yoga and prescriptions that affect the nerve/ pain receptors like Lyrica.

Any other suggestions?  Best regards!  Juan

Luann

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2011, 04:44:13 PM »
Hi again Juan,

Sorry to hear you still have pain (do I understand it is just if you limp?) When you wear the lifted shoes, does it go away?

If it helps even a little, read a post I made a couple months ago (under Hosesback riders: The day of truth... reply # 17). I had some days, at almost exactly the same time in my recovery process, that sound much like what you are going through. I finally felt like things started turning around for me at about the 9-10 month mark. Not sure if, when the cold damp weather returns, I will have trouble again, but for now I am doing great. Maybe you're just going through a sore "healling stage", too. Wear your lifts, walk as balanced as possible, and hopefully it will pass.

PS. Another tip, I like to wear flip-flops in camping (public) showers, around the house, etc. I simply bought two different pairs with different height soles (that aproximately equaled my height difference) and swapped them out. They don't match, but I am comfortable!!

missmaam2u

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2011, 02:26:23 PM »

Hello there,

I was concerned about the length my doctor told me that your body will compensate for the difference.  It is 8 weeks from surgery.  I am walking around at the mall with ease and I am humble  in many ways.  Just to be able to walk anywhere is a wonderful feeling.  Keep your chin up my dear you will be a happy camper soon.  Don't forget to do you exercise Take your calcium and D3 vitamin each day.  Push yourself and keep the faith.

Memphis Rob

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2011, 01:09:58 AM »
Hello Everyone. My name is Rob. I just had the BHR on 12/16/11. The first thing, post op, that I noticed was a popping in the joint. I am not to concerned with it now that I have discovered this site both the difference in lenth was very noticeable. When I stand full on the leg with the new joint I have to stand on the toes of my unrepairede leg to make it reach the ground. This was explained by you all with the pelvis that was tilted. Now I don't feel that I have to make what I felt were frivolous calls to my physician, (David Lavelle, Memphis). I would appreciate any replies that you have though I am more comfortable now that I don't feel alone on Transplant Island. 

hernanu

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2011, 04:27:55 AM »
Welcome, Rob - you're at the right place.

I really think that you should call your doctor whenever you feel the need. Don't think of things as frivolous, your mental well being is just as important as your physical recovery. I called my doctor's office as many times as I wanted, and had no problems with it.

Having said that (remember the docs work for you), you aren't alone on that island - your body still needs to rediscover what it is to walk and move normally. This is where touching base with the doctor's office gives you more information.

Be pushy, you deserve the support of your doctor, and they are probably fine with giving it.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

cwg

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2011, 07:14:21 AM »
Ahh, if I only had known so many of these things.. Like finding out my right BHR leg is almost one inch shorter, 4 months ago... And five years after the surgery...!

..and then, that  the  newly adjusted (expensive) orthodics, with a right  foot  only lift,  would make such a huge difference...
It has.  Hugely

Do not despair, any one here who has had problems after your surgeries. Investigate more. And if a doctor does not satisfy you with a solution.. keep searching.
And seek trust an excellent physio or chiro.. They know their stuff

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip TalkModeration

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all.
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Advertisements