+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Now a Bi-Lat hippy  (Read 4151 times)

powderhippy

Now a Bi-Lat hippy
« on: July 02, 2010, 05:20:55 PM »
Had surgery last week with Dr. Gross.  Got a new uncemented right hip and a week later all is well. Been here in South Carolina by myself and it has been easy. Have a nursing service provide a check in to see how I'm doing. Dr. Gross and Lee Webb put a dressing on the wound that does not have to be changed for 8 days. Makes thing waaaay easy.
So, I'll follow Dr. Gross's protocol and then at the 6 month mark with all restrictions off , will get back to doing all the great things I did when I was just a "simple" one hip hippy the last 3 1/2 years...LOL,
Thanx to all for their bi-lat input.  Hope to be backpacking the high mountains this time next year.
Best,
Shelly Perlmutter
Left hip 9/6/06 Dr. Gross
Right uncemented 6/25/10 Dr. Gross
Dr. Gross/Lee Webb  Left hip 9/6/06 cement,  Right hip 6/23/10 uncemented

tedroberts

Re: Now a Bi-Lat hippy
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 03:42:25 AM »
Shelly, welcome to the bi-lat "club".  Since you are experienced with recovering from resurfacing surgery this one should
be easier.  However, no two resurfacing recoveries are exactly the same.  I had both done at once and got to compare
and contrast my right and left in real time.  Anyways, good luck and heal fast, we want to see you back on the slopes.

Ted Roberts, BHR Bi-lat 1-7-09, Dr. Nelson, Edina, MN   
Bi-Lateral BHR 1-7-09 Dr. Nelson, MPLS, MN

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 12:56:13 PM »
Hi Shelly

Great to hear you now have equal hips!  :D

Hope to see more photos of you this winter on the slopes!  I am glad everything is going well for you.

PLease keep us updated and Good Luck!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 04:37:15 PM »
Shelly,

You will do just fine, I am glad to hear you are doing so well, but of course you got your hip done by arguably one of the best hip surgeons in this country.  Lee and Dr. Gross are 2 of the best human beings around.

Keep us all updated.

Chuck

Had surgery last week with Dr. Gross.  Got a new uncemented right hip and a week later all is well. Been here in South Carolina by myself and it has been easy. Have a nursing service provide a check in to see how I'm doing. Dr. Gross and Lee Webb put a dressing on the wound that does not have to be changed for 8 days. Makes thing waaaay easy.
So, I'll follow Dr. Gross's protocol and then at the 6 month mark with all restrictions off , will get back to doing all the great things I did when I was just a "simple" one hip hippy the last 3 1/2 years...LOL,
Thanx to all for their bi-lat input.  Hope to be backpacking the high mountains this time next year.
Best,
Shelly Perlmutter
Left hip 9/6/06 Dr. Gross
Right uncemented 6/25/10 Dr. Gross
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

powderhippy

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 07:41:41 PM »
Thanx Pat, Chuck and Ted.  Your words are great comfort and why I love this site.  I'll probably take off early winter skiing as my restrictions lift mid-December. I know the component bone grow is good at the 6 month mark but like my last surgery, I waited a full year before rippin it up on the mtn, so that my mind would feel knowing the bone is fully grown in. So might just golf (yeah I know, such a bigger adrenaline rush then skiing..LOL) and hang on a beach this winter.
I will look forward to skiing updates from all my hippy friends this winter. Maybe the following winter of 11/12 we can get a Hippy Ski Cat Skiing trip together down here in Durango or anywhere the snow flies..!
Also looking to still get that Hippy White Rim Mtn. Bike trip together sometime next year.
You guys are all just so wonderful.   
Hugs to All, Shelly
BTW Chuck. Do I take Mendenhall as one of my top Fantasy RB's this year? And will Wallace be a good WR for the Steelers this year????  Since I won my Fantasy league last year, always looking for those sleepers...LOL

stevel

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 09:40:56 PM »
Hi Shelly,

Congratulations on your new right hip resurfacing.  You are wise to pass on this ski season, which will be hard to do from January - March, 2011.
I waited 6 months before skiing in late March 2009 and I appreciated your advice to follow the Dr's. protocol and not ski before six months.  I skied conservatively the last two weeks of the season and waited until the Winter 2009 - 2010 before really shredding the slopes.  It seemed like I was in competition to return to full form in six months, whereas in hindsight, it was not that important.  After all, I am not a professional athlete.
Now you have a cemented Biomet on the left side and an uncemented Biomet on the right side.  I suppose you will be a test case to see which side lasts the longest even though the left side is already 3 1/2 years old.  Hopefully both sides will last a lifetime.
Best wishes on your recovery.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 03:13:49 AM by stevel »
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 02:26:29 AM »
Dr. Gross has a mess of downhill ski folk, once that cap gets good bone ingrowth you will be good to go.  It's hard to beat your bodys strongest and hardest part, your bones.

I've taken some falls, I've played softball, whitewater rafted III and IV rapids and water skied a lot on my new hip and I can say I've never felt better.

Take Mendenhall, Wallace is the bomb, I look for good things from him.

BTW, you are smart for taking the conservative path.

Chuck

Thanx Pat, Chuck and Ted.  Your words are great comfort and why I love this site.  I'll probably take off early winter skiing as my restrictions lift mid-December. I know the component bone grow is good at the 6 month mark but like my last surgery, I waited a full year before rippin it up on the mtn, so that my mind would feel knowing the bone is fully grown in. So might just golf (yeah I know, such a bigger adrenaline rush then skiing..LOL) and hang on a beach this winter.
I will look forward to skiing updates from all my hippy friends this winter. Maybe the following winter of 11/12 we can get a Hippy Ski Cat Skiing trip together down here in Durango or anywhere the snow flies..!
Also looking to still get that Hippy White Rim Mtn. Bike trip together sometime next year.
You guys are all just so wonderful.   
Hugs to All, Shelly
BTW Chuck. Do I take Mendenhall as one of my top Fantasy RB's this year? And will Wallace be a good WR for the Steelers this year????  Since I won my Fantasy league last year, always looking for those sleepers...LOL
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

powderhippy

Re: Now a Bi-Lat hippy Update:One year later
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 03:29:13 AM »
Hey Everyone,
 Well yesterday was One Year since I had my 2nd hip done by Dr. Gross. Its all been great. Been running, doing 10 mile hikes, mtn biking again and walking the golf course all the time.
That concern I had about favoring a one side or the other, was totally unfounded. Look forward to ripping it on the mountain this winter too.
 The uncemented hip (my new one) was even easier to rehab than my 5 year old cemented one.
Pushing more weight then ever at the gym. All the best to the other hippys on this site. Its been awhile since I checked in, but letting all who are considering that "other" hip, fear not...!
 Plan on making a video this December on hopefully a sweet pow day....Have a great summer,
Shelly

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 04:47:30 AM »
Shelley-

Thanks for checking in.  It is always encouraging to hear from those on the other side, especially if it has been successful.

I am definitely looking forward to running and skiing again.  Also cycling with no pain and my knee not splayed out to the side will be awesome.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 01:58:35 PM »
You are in the bi-lat club. Best wishes with your recovery.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

powderhippy

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 04:29:33 PM »
Thanx for the replies. Steve, looks like your 6 months are up and Dr. G will now let you abuse those new hips like never before...Here's to a lifetime of contentment with those uncemented babies..!
Dan, that knee will come back to the bike (is that like chickens coming home to roost?) and you'll be powering up hills in no time. I waited to long on my first hip, but had perfect timing on my other.
Hi to John in Sun Valley too.... Again, thanx Pat for a great site....regards, Shelly

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 01:34:28 AM »
Shelly,

Yeah, I can't wait. I'm getting the mountain bike ready and I am looking forward to doing some back packing. Light at first, of course. You know, Dr. Gross is the only doc I look forward to seeing. For good reasons of course. The one I dread seeing....hmmmmm.....lets see......my urologist!   :(

Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Recent Posts

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:16:11 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear