+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fying Post Surgery  (Read 2048 times)

matti

Fying Post Surgery
« on: July 06, 2010, 01:40:51 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has any advice when flying back from surgery. I'm scheduled for r. hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross in August and am getting ready to book a flight. Should I request a bulkhead seat? Should I try to book a non-stop flight?

Thanks,

Matti

roosevelt heights

Re: Fying Post Surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 03:37:12 PM »
Depending on the airline, some charge an extra fee for bulkhead or emergency row seats...some are only booked the day of the flight via the counter at check-in, so I would contact your airline and ask...

Lopsided

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 10:17:43 PM »

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice when flying back from surgery. I'm scheduled for r. hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross in August and am getting ready to book a flight. Should I request a bulkhead seat? Should I try to book a non-stop flight?

Matti, I hope you can get a good seat. I have got a flight book for a couple of weeks after my operation, and the airline have not been too helpful so far. They have just said that I should ask when I check in.

I think you should get a non stop. The less messing around with airlines and the quicker you can get home the better.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 07:26:28 AM »
When I scheduled my flight from Ohio to Belgium and back, I told them I was having a hip replacement.  United Airlines gave me a normal seat going, but a free upgrade to a bulkhead seat returning.  I really liked it coming back since I could actually stand up and stretch at my seat.  There is quite a bit more room in the bulkhead seat.  You just need to talk with the airlines yourself and see what you can do.  I flew 4 years ago.  The flight was 8 1/2 hours and I got up and walked every hour.  I had to give myself extra shots of heprin in my stomach before my flight.  I was also able to use the handicapped restroom using the bulkhead seat. That was a bit larger and easier during the longer flight.  They put my crutches away during take off, then gave them back to me during the flight.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Jerome Arnold

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 12:22:58 AM »
Hello Matt,
I just had my surgery on 23 June 2010.  Dr. Gross was also my surgeon and I opted for the BioMet uncemented recap.  So far I am feeling wonderful.  With each day I am feeling stronger.  Now to answer your question.  I live in California, I flew from Raliegh, NC to Tennessee, to California.

I would recommed the following:
-  Purchase Immodium just in case...why you will be given a stool softeners post surgery and you may ingest foods or drink that may affect your bowl movements.  I may case, I had a productive response to the above to day before my return to home.  The immodium was immediately affective and I had no issues on my way home.
-  I waited to fly 4 days after surgery.  I think this made my travel much more tolerable
-  Ice the night before and the day of your flight
-  Columbia, SC is about an 90 minutes from Charlotte International and over four hours from Raleigh's airport.  Where ever you are departing, stay at a hotel in the city in which you are departing from.  This was a huge benefit as I was minutes away from the airport.
-  Communicate in advance to your air carrier that you are recovering from surgery.  They will arrange for wheel chair transport and will also facilitate your processing through TSA.  I used Southwest and they were incredibly kind and efficient.
- Even through you will have priority seating (meaning you should be able to board early), get to be the first to board and select your seat.  I sat in the first row, aisle seat, right side as my operative hip was my left.  This enabled me to extend my left leg.  I also stood, kneeled on the seat and bowed resting my hands on the arms of the seat.  It sounds unpleasant, but it really was not that bad...
-  If you can afford it, business class or first class may be an option

Safe Travels,

Jerome

matti

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 04:37:10 PM »
Thanks for all your help! I ended up booking a non-stop flight out of Charlotte NC and will be taking a shuttle to the airport- They've given me a bulkhead seat and the ride to the airport is 90 mins.  Will definitely ice and take immodium.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear