+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 28JUN10 Resurfacing by Dr. Gross SC  (Read 1720 times)

DES

28JUN10 Resurfacing by Dr. Gross SC
« on: July 10, 2010, 04:11:40 PM »
Hi - An initial post, will send more of my story along the way. In short, I've been active in sports all my life. Since age 55 (I'm 62) I've been participating in masters racquetball and softball. I've won gold in both at a state and national level--up until 2008 that is... My right hip reached the point where I was, the month of June, walking with a cane and struggling with stairs. I looked at the beach where only a couple of years ago I was jogging and knew it was impossible to even walk out to the ocean without a lot of pain.   

No more! There are not words to describe the amazing and wonderful experience I've had with Dr. Gross, Lee Webb, Nancy, and Providence NE Hospital in Columbia SC. These health care professionals are simply the best medical team I have ever encountered. The afternoon of my surgery, I was up and walking. Dr. Gross came by the next morning and said "you're doing great, you're only 4 hours away, you can go home...(!)"

Currently (12 days out), I'm walking with one crutch and no pain (just stiffness, as if I'd played in an weekend racquetball tournament. The Polar Ice machine is my new best friend...) I plan to follow this 6 week rehab to the letter and the same with the 6 months afterwards. My goal is to participate in the Senior Olympics (Nationals) in June 2011 -- so there's some definite rehab and work ahead of me.

But for now, what a gift! I can stand up and walk again without pain. And again, what a great experience with Dr. Gross and his team--they are simply top notch.  There's some video in progress on this adventure as well :-)  I'll post more info as things progress. Again, quite a road ahead but I'm so, so glad I did this!!

dee
(ps.1 Thanks to this great site I found Dr. Gross)
(ps.2 You can't tell from my name, but I'm a 62 year old woman :-)

obxpelican

Re: 28JUN10 Resurfacing by Dr. Gross SC
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 12:08:30 AM »
Dee,

I am so happy to hear you are doing so well, I too was cured by Dr G, Lee and crew, they are really good people.

I think it takes going through a Dr. Gross experience, the hospital and all the great nurses and PT people to understand what we Dr. Gross Hippys say sometimes.

Here's my recovery log http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=1055.msg6307#msg6307

I look forward to reading and watching your recovery.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 11:01:15 AM »
Hi Dee

Welcome to Hip Talk.

Great to hear about your new hip. Yes, Dr. Gross and team are really great.  I know that from meeting him several times and reading tons of stories like yours.

I am so glad you are having a quick and easy recovery.  Do be a bit cautious during your early recovery.

Thanks posting your story and age.  I had mine done when I was 61.  We are not over the hill in our 60's and we can still have a resurfacing if we have good bone density.  An important message for older women.

Good luck.  I will be looking forward to reading more about your recovery.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

mari

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 03:03:01 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly with you.  I was 62 when Dr. Gross did my hip 1 1/2 years ago, and I received wonderful care too.  I am so glad I went that route. Unlike you I had to travel a long distance, but it was well worth it.
Right Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross February 2009

JeanM

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 11:44:57 PM »

Congratulations and welcome to Surface Hippydom!
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat