+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Treadmill Use  (Read 4809 times)

tcarroll

Treadmill Use
« on: July 25, 2010, 07:09:47 PM »
I had BHR done on May 7,was wondering if treadmill use say three to four times a week at 5 to 6 mile intervals would be good or bad.I work Utility Construction during day and currently not back to work,But i was going to get a treadmill,i am back on my recumbent bike,same as i was before surgery.Any suggestions.

Thank's

Tim

dw

Re: Treadmill Use
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 09:13:14 AM »
What does your Dr. say/allow? That's the place to start. Other than that, most folks are encouraged to walk as much as tolerated - helps in the recovery. If you're already peddling, I'm sure you're doc will encourage walking.

jack

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 06:15:06 PM »
I would think walking is great for you. Running on the other hand is not according to my doc. He wants me to be xrayed after 6 months and get permission before doing any impact activities such as running. Your doc knows what is best for you!
Right BHR by Dr. Clarke  5-19-10

My BHR Story

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 05:39:54 PM »
I did 30 minutes jogging on the treadmill tonight.

It's amost two years since my op.

I was in agony afterwards, and the pain in my groin is still present some 3 1/2 hours later.

I can't believe really.

Surgeon told me everything was fine when I last went to see him for the DePuy recall tests.

I thought that you could return to running post op.
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 02:34:01 AM »
I did 30 minutes jogging on the treadmill tonight.

It's amost two years since my op.

I was in agony afterwards, and the pain in my groin is still present some 3 1/2 hours later.

I can't believe really.

Surgeon told me everything was fine when I last went to see him for the DePuy recall tests.

Gav mate have you seen another surgeon about your hip? As I don't think they always tell you the complete truth if something is not right. Especially in a case like the asr. Even if your guy says your HR is perfect you obviously carnt use it to it's full potential so I personally would seek another unbiased opinion.
Danny

I thought that you could return to running post op.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 01:15:28 PM »
Gav-

There are many questions but the short answer is you should be able to run again.

Were you a runner before?  How soon before your surgery did you stop?
Did you do PT to regain strength and flexibility in all the muscles?
Is the pain muscular or in the joint?
How was your walking before trying to run?
Did you try running in the pool before impact running?

I am less than four weeks out.  I have hip flexor and groin pain.  But I started PT and have been doing my exercises religiously.  I started aqua jogging a week ago and definitely feel my groin area.  My plan is to do everything I can to prepare to run in a year because it has been 10 years since I have been able to run.

Best wishes

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

John C

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 02:46:11 PM »
Gav,
Yes, we should normally be able to return to running after resurfacing, and two years should be a very safe time frame. However, one thing that my surgeon repeated a number of times is that I will always need to build slowly back to any new activity, or even just returning to an activity after a break. I have found this to be true as I return to seasonal sports like tennis and skiing each year. You mentioned spending 30 minutes on the treadmill, but I am not sure if that is something that you have gradually built up to over time. From my doctor's advice, I would have needed to start out at about 5 minutes or less the first few times, and then build up slowly as my body allowed.
I started running at about six months, but I was very conservative in my approach. I ran only on dirt trails (preferably uphill) or sand (treadmills were too much impact for me), so there was very little impact. I would run for a couple of hundred yards, then walk for awhile, etc. If I felt any discomfort at all, I would walk for the balance of the trail.
Hopefully by now your pain was gone away, and maybe you can build back while carefully monitoring it so that you do not get a big flare up again.
Good luck.

John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

bothdone

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 03:27:06 PM »
I like your post John.   Very good advice.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 11:02:18 PM »
Gav, I am at 1 year with one hip, 9 months on the second. I started on the treadmill about a month ago, having done about 9 months on ellipticals and bikes. I built up to about 10 minutes on each, then figured I would try the treadmill.

I spoke with my surgeon to clear it, then went conservative. I did 5 minutes walking on the treadmill for about a month, have just started running one minute for every five I've walked. I am at about 18 minutes, but 15 of those are walking. I expect to be running more, but at my own pace. My goal is to play an hour of soccer in about a year, so increasing stamina, running with full strides are important. At the same time, healing (I've heard) continues until 2 years out, so I want to make this gradually strong.

I've also gotten a slide board (simulates skating) to get the sideways strength (cutting, etc.) but I'll be conservative with that as well.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:03:38 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Gav

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 07:19:42 AM »
Thanks for your posts folks.

I still don't think it is alright. I usually go to the gym 3-5 times per week, so I'm in fairly good shape.

Seeing Doctor next week so I'll mention it to him.

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 10:16:51 AM »
Hey Gav, I noticed one thing when I do the treadmill - I'm up to 20 minutes, 15 walking / 5 running. If I follow it with my usual workout on the leg press machine, I've gotten groin discomfort (can't really call it pain) when I bend down to touch the ground (stretch), really when I come up. This happened a couple of times out of maybe 30 times I've done it, but it was enough to get me to stop doing the leg presses.

I think, in my unqualified medical opinion that I'm straining the illeopsas muscle, which is one of the more common issues for us. It only happens on my right side, which is the last one done.

I also asked a trainer at my gym to watch me as I walked / ran. She spotted an issue with my stride on my right leg - apparently my left leg bent properly as I moved, but my right leg was straight forward, almost stiff on extension and contact, and that may be what was putting stress on the smaller muscles. I had that soreness during stretching for about a day, laid off the treadmill until then.

I'm at about 11 months on that leg now; it points out that as much in shape as I may be in my large muscles, the smaller ones need to come up to speed and they may take much longer. I'm going to vary my workouts so I don't combine the treadmill and the leg press machine, but I expect my right leg will eventually get as strong as my left in the smaller muscles as in my larger.

Maybe you can try some muscle release or massage on the illeopsas and that may help.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:19:13 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Gav

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 12:26:11 PM »
Thanks for that.

Been for ultrasound scan today.

Radiologist said that everything looks in good shape, but I am suffering from bursitis, which I don't know too much about other than its an inflamed bursa containing some fluid, which usually acts as a shock absorber. I'm quite relieved that it is this rather than a potential implant problem.

Hopefully it can be treated using a cortisone shot, or ultimately removed, to ease the discomfort.

Has anyone else suffered from this, and what treatment did you have? Did it work?

Thanks

Gav

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat