+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: joint noise  (Read 4778 times)

Gaz

joint noise
« on: November 16, 2007, 08:51:08 AM »
My father has had both hips re-surfaced (Birmingham), one hip about 4 years ago, and the other about 3 years ago. He occassionaly gets a squeaking / grinding noise from one hip, and gets a stabbing pain at the same time from his hip to groin.
He has had limited mobility since the resurfacing due to a back problem, so only walks about 800 yards a day (the pain is not caused by his back).
We have been back to the surgeon who couldn't see any problem. Anyone with similar experiences or know of problems with re-surfacing?
Thanks
Gaz

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: joint noise
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 09:24:49 AM »
Hi

I do know some people have the noise problems - sometimes from muscle not being strong and tight, sometimes from lack of lubrication.

One person posted a story that was very active and a climber.  After he climbed for a few hours and become dehydrated - his hip resurfacing would start to squeek.

The hip is really a bearing consisting of the cap on the femur bone and the cup in the acetabulum.  Bearings need lubrication and in the case of hip resurfacing - it is lubricated from body fluids.  One reason that they doctors don't normally give really older people metal on metal hips is that they are not active enough to keep the hip lubricated.  You need to move and that somehow gets the fluids into the joint.

I am not medically trained and not a doctor - so all I am writing is from what I read.  I am a mechanical engineer and do understand bearings need lubrication.  I am guessing that since your father is not walking much - the hip is not getting used enough to be lubricated.  There are some fancy, very technical articles I have seen, but don't know where to find them right now.  But I think everyone understands when the hinge squeeks - it needs oil.

Here is Dr. De Smets explaination about the squeeking
http://www.surfacehippy.info/faqsqueakinginhip.php

I have bad problems with my back and understand why he is not walking much.  Has he thought of doing some water therapy in a pool.  That helped my back and in turn helps me be more active.

He needs to find a way to get back to doing more walking so his hip gets lubricated more.  Hoefully his back will get better.

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

gc

Re: joint noise
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 12:53:15 AM »
My father has had both hips re-surfaced (Birmingham), one hip about 4 years ago, and the other about 3 years ago. He occassionaly gets a squeaking / grinding noise from one hip, and gets a stabbing pain at the same time from his hip to groin.
He has had limited mobility since the resurfacing due to a back problem, so only walks about 800 yards a day (the pain is not caused by his back).
We have been back to the surgeon who couldn't see any problem. Anyone with similar experiences or know of problems with re-surfacing?
Thanks
Gaz

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM