+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: resurfacing after hip debridement  (Read 1708 times)

spiller

resurfacing after hip debridement
« on: August 18, 2010, 04:04:24 PM »
I had hip debridement over 2 years ago for an impingement. While the surgery offered some relief by removing some of the impinging osteophytes, my hip is starting to get worse again. I'm wondering if anyone here has had debridement and later went to a resurfacing? Also if the earlier debridement surgery has any effect on my chances of a good result from resurfacing.

Any input appreciated.

John C

Re: resurfacing after hip debridement
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 07:48:11 PM »
Hello Spiller,
I had an arthroscopic debridement about five years before my resurfacing (which was done a little over two years ago. See my recent post entitled "2 year update"). The doctor that performed the arthroscopy said that it might gain me 5-10 years before I would need a replacement, so he was about right. They did not deal with the osteophytes at that time, but debrided damaged areas of labrum and cartilage, along with a synovectomy. I had some relief for a few years. I do not believe that it had any affect on my resurfacing, and Dr. Gross never mentioned it as being an issue. It is certainly something that you should bring up with your chosen surgeon.

John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

TAJ

Re: resurfacing after hip debridement
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
Hi Spiller,

I had right hip arthroscopy debridement from Dr. Carlos Guanche in San Fernando Valley about two and a half years ago.  My personal doctor said I should try this before full replacement.  He said is should buy me a few years before full replacement was needed.  It did buy me a couple of years, but like you the hip got worse and I am now scheduled for resurfacing with Dr. Schmaltzried in LA for September 20.  He said the debridement will not affect the resurfacing operation at all.  I am really looking forward to the operation so I can hopefully get rid of the pain and limp of walking, and ideally get back to jogging and bike riding and running on the sand at the beach. 

Hope all goes well for you.   

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat