+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip resurfacing or hip replacement?  (Read 2113 times)

andrewmyhre

Hip resurfacing or hip replacement?
« on: August 24, 2010, 06:45:41 PM »
I'm a active 48 year old and I've had a range of motion issue in my left hip for the past 10 years.  The passions I can longer partake in are hockey, skiing the moguls, jogging, biking and tying my left shoe lace. For the past year the hip has become painful, especially after manual labor and/or lack of sleep and it is now effecting the follow through in my golf swing. Therefore, it's time to do something about it.  I met with a Dr Hartman in Burnsville Minnesota yesterday and received information on hip replacement and hip resurfacing. He does both and I'm certain I'll do one or the other this fall.

I was told that hip resurfacing would enable me success in more activities and that it likely wouldn't last over 10 years and that the hip replacement could last 15-20 years and would limit my activities.  He stated the PT and recovery would be the same.

If this information is accurate, could it make sense, if I'm going to need two procedures in my lifetime, to do resurfacing and then replacement?  How much of a 'bummer" will it be to have this done again in 10 years? Are there other questions I should be asking while making this decision?

I realize only I can determine how important these activities will be for me in my 50's .... I'm trying to make the best decision.  Thank you in advance ....

Dayton96

Re: Hip resurfacing or hip replacement?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 07:53:10 PM »
Andrew:

Let me be the first (but probably not the last) to suggest you run, not walk, to another surgeon for a second opinion.  I believe Dr. Rogerson in WI would do that for you.  So would Dr. Gross in SC.  Both names and addresses can be found on this site.  The consultation is free, can be done by mail, and I don't think either one of them would agree with your doctor.  Exactly how many hip resurfacings has Dr. Hartman done?

Mac 
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

andrewmyhre

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:05:51 PM »
Thanks Dayton.  During my information gathering, I've become fully aware of the value of a experienced surgeon and it's become clear that Dr. Hartman may have a hidden agenda or is simply misinformed. What about Dr Hartman's analysis was most flawed?

Dayton96

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 10:27:25 PM »
Andrew:

Except to say there is no evidence to suggest a 10 year limit on the life of a hip resurface, such as a BHR, I would recommend that you take a day and start reviewing the posts on this web site.  Just look at the discussions that went on for the past year concerning cemented/cementless, BHR/Biomet, Dr. Su/Dr. Gross.  There is a lot of information contained on this site.  Then go to the yahoo group, that deals with many of the same issues:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/surfacehippy/

Many of your questions will be answered on yahoo and surfacehippy.  Plus, you have the added option of emailing individuals who have posted and asking them for additional information on a particular implant or doctor you might be interested in.  Most of the folks here are more than happy to tell you about their doctor, or their implant, or their physical therapy. 

I started my research last Spring.  Like you, I have to have a hip resurfaced,  sooner rather than later.  I am so glad I took the time (and had the time) to ask the questions I've been asking and to exchange emails with other people who are in the same situation I'm in.  Please don't allow yourself to get rushed if you can help it at all.

Good luck,
Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

DirkV

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 12:56:29 AM »
Hi Andrew,
It's kind of ironic that I have a similar concern 2 1/2 yrs post-op. This surgery has given me my (active) life back. Many of the same activities you list.
* I no longer am in pain - and cranky - after doing yard work around the house.
* I can go on somewhat competitive group bike rides and not have it be a crap-shoot as to whether I'd have hip related problems on that particular day.
* I'm playing hockey again (goaltender), and *really* enjoy the ice time and camaraderie.
The results are better than I could have imagined.
I'm generally a positive-attitude person, but when I had my, belated, 2 yr check-up last week, I asked a lot of questions related to whether I was over doing it. I mean I could probably take up gardening or something instead of hockey and come to enjoy it :-) .
The surgeon's reply was along the following lines: "you had this surgery so you could regain an active life. Everything looks fine. Keep on ripping it up!"
I'll do just that.
I think that 10 yr estimate you had quoted to you is suspect.
Keep lookin' up!
-Dirk
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

Lopsided

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 04:27:05 AM »
I was told that hip resurfacing ... likely wouldn't last over 10 years and that the hip replacement could last 15-20 years and would limit my activities.

Now that sounds totally backwards. The whole idea of resurfacing is that if done right it can possibly last much longer, as well as greater range of movement. The only issue with ten years is there is little data so far for longer than that.

I had my surgery last week and the doctor said '99% it should last you ten years' and I replied 'I want fifty!'

Find a good doctor. Find the best!

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

andrewmyhre

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 06:34:16 PM »
Thanks Mac and Dirk,
Agreed .... be as informed as possible. After a great deal of research and communicating with helpful "hippies" ..... the most important thing - Find a experienced Doctor!  I just made a appointment with Dr. Palmer in Stillwater Minnesota. He's been doing resurfacing since 06' when it was first approved by the FDA.  The process continues .... Thanks for the help.
Best,
Andrew

sfinrecovery

• Right Hip BHR November 8, 2010
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 10:56:02 PM »
Thank you all for the great advice and stories.  Does any one know a gret doctor in the Bay Area (San Francisco)?
Juan

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal