+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Left hip resurfaced for osteoarthritis by Jeremy Latham in Southampton U.K.  (Read 53417 times)

hernanu

Good suggestions. I've been going through the motion on the floor, although at 6 weeks, it's still slow going. The PT people had me doing 200 lb (90 kg?) leg presses at 10 weeks for 30 repetitions. Nowhere near what I was doing previously, but seemed good for both strenght and stretching. Unfortunately for a non-patient person, pacience is important now.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
Well I weigh about 200lbs now anyway! I found stability a limiting factor in the squat. I have access to a Smith machine as well so I might try that for variety. I can find plenty of ways to torture myself without putting it at risk!

gary2010

Re: Left hip resurfaced for osteoarthritis by Jeremy Latham in Southampton U.K.
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2011, 08:40:44 AM »
T+ 21 weeks 6 days.

I spent 4 of the past 8 evenings training with Guro Rick Faye, founder of the Minnesota Kali Group, on his annual U.K. seminar tour. The hip coped well; groundwork felt a bit creaky at first but got easier as I warmed up - it was never my strong point anyway.

Several times last night I unconsciously got up from the mat without putting a hand down. Now whenever I've tried to do this since the op I've been unable to 'feel' the start of the motion and just floundered around; I wondered whether this was just weakness in the abductors or if some nerve connection had been lost. After a few repetitions the muscle was fatiguing so I gently assisted with a light hand pressure, but the muscle memory is definitely still there, I feel fine today, I'll work on this for the rest of the week.

gary2010

« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2011, 11:41:12 AM »
T+22 weeks 6 days:
Just to prove it's not all plain sailing, today finds me walking like Douglas Bader! Using the abduction machine last night, at quite a light setting I felt a sharp twinge in the left groin area, enough to make me stop immediately. I got on the bike which felt all right but found myself losing strength and slowing down, so I quit after about 12 minutes. Today I am very stiff and sore and can only raise my left knee with difficulty, curiously, abduction is no weaker than before. I've no choice but to back off for a while. I'm coming to the conclusion that the machine is a bit harsh for this stage of rehab.

Until that everything was going fine, last week I was jogging round the soft mats in the gym and ready to start proper running at the 24 week point. It does feel like I've torn something though, no idea how long it will take to heal.

Lopsided

« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2011, 12:15:20 PM »
Sorry to read this Gary. Get the ice pack out.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

gary2010

« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2011, 05:13:53 AM »
Given the location of the discomfort, I don't think ice would bring much relief! I resorted to voltarol and a bit of codeine last night because I was struggling to get in and out of the car. First time I've taken any medication since about week 3. I can walk today so I think I've got away with it, still a bit stiff, I wish I knew what was going on in there - tendon chafing on the edge maybe? When I did it I wasn't using heavy resistance or extreme range of motion so it's a mystery.

gary2010

« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2011, 08:39:07 AM »
T+23 weeks:
Pleased to report that I feel a lot better today; my chiropractor diagnosed a psoas sprain. It seems this muscle can partially compensate for weakness in the gluteus medius so it all makes sense now. It follows that seated abduction machine is not suitable for rehab so I'll stick to side raises and 'air kicks'.

Looking around the forum trouble with the psoas and it's tendon seems to be very common among the newly resurfaced.

This was the worst setback I've had so far as it put me back to square one for a little while, but a worthwhile lesson nevertheless, as I was starting to feel invincible. I reflect that without the surgery, a prang like that would have left me lame for more than a week.

jjmclain

« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2011, 09:38:57 AM »
Gary,

You can abduct using resistance bands (the ones they give you in PT even) as well as adduct, and flexion and extension. My PT actually said it is better than the abduction machine and the cables. You can really isolate the muscles and work in all planes of motion. Just be sure to keep your core stabile and aligned. Work both legs, even the non-operated side because it will force you to use your stabilizer muscles on your operated side.

June

hernanu

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2011, 12:05:30 PM »
True, my PT has me do bands around my knees, then clamshells (knees bent, on one side, 30 raises without moving the hip) always do both sides. I've only had a twinge in that area once, while touching my toes once.

gary2010

T+ 26 weeks
I saw the surgeon yesterday, he's pleased with my strength and range of motion, I'm making excellent progress notwithstanding my recent prang, which seems to be tendon or ligament irritation and recovering normally so nothing to worry about.

I'm going for a little run on sunday, not goal-oriented, just to work on my gait and see how it feels; I've loosely committed to a bit of cross-country at the end of the summer. I shall stick to grass for a month or two anyway.

I feel I'm about half way.

phillwad

Gary - thanks for the detail documentation of the work it takes to get back to doing the "fun stuff"  I am just 2 weeks post op and enjoying good long walks and planning my next bike adventures.

Cheers - Phill - Cleveland - USA

gary2010

Welcome Phill, good luck with it, I'm enjoying the running now!
G

hernanu

That's good news, Gary - so no repercussions from the strain?

gary2010

No, I lost about 4 weeks progress, but I'm back on track now. The surgeon actually said he'd never seen a patient doing as well at 6 months - and he's done over 700, so I think I can relax anyway!

Lopsided

No, I lost about 4 weeks progress ...

No you haven't, Gary. Progress is not even and you cannot map it. A bit of up and down.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

phillwad

I am 3 weeks post now this weekend

Walked 3 miles yesterday in an hour - good trip outside, also got on an exercise bike for a little time this week.  Still doing range of motion

gary2010

Sounds good Phill, I'd say it's going well.

T+ 30 weeks 3 days
I started weighted squats again last week 20x60 and 12x90 kg, and kicked the heavy bag around a bit last night, maybe 30% power, but it's been a long time. I honestly didn't know if I'd ever have a round kick again, I feel a bit clumsy sometimes, as if I don't quite 'own' that leg, but now I believe everything will be possible eventually.

gary2010

T +33 weeks 4 days

First road run last night, a modest 4k, the pace dictated by a much younger partner; no ill effects this morning, I can round kick with the operated leg quite comfortably, though not full power; squats now up to 12x100kg.

The interesting thing is that I can run on consecutive days without getting sore, although I'm only doing short durations at the moment. I've never been able to do that, even in my 20s I used to have a long one once a week, and the hip would always stiffen up.

Still a lot of work to do, it's so long since I've felt normal I can't remember what it's like...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 05:51:53 AM by gary2010 »

hernanu

Nice. I've noticed that I'm doing some stretching (carefully) that I was never able to do. I can get down to the floor palms to the ground with the legs straight like before, but I had problems with the stretch where you sit, pull your feet together towards you bending your knees and then let the knees go sideways.

I could never get a good stretch (my instructors could not figure it out, resorting to pushing sometimes). Now I can easily stretch those sideways (again - Carefully) and without any strain get past my best when I was in full training. Really cool.

I'm glad you can do consecutive runs without problem, seems like there are some things that we'll be able to do that we may not have been able to before.

gary2010

T+ 36 weeks
Nothing much to report now, just enjoying training like a nutter again and wishing I had more time! Back to regular kickboxing class, extending the runs, squat 12 x 110Kg the flexibility is coming back as well.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat