+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How Long Till You Could Cut Your Own Toenails ?  (Read 61737 times)

Lopsided

How Long Till You Could Cut Your Own Toenails ?
« on: September 18, 2010, 02:23:36 AM »
I would like to see a poll, "How Long Till You Could Cut Your Own Toenails?"

Please Pat, I am not being flippant. I think cutting your own toenails is is as much about freedom and regaining dignity as walking unaided.

I am one month out now, and just use a stick for confidence, I can put on trousers without sitting down, I can drive an automatic. So I am close to being independent.

But I would still like to know how long it took others to get to get their foot high enough that they did not have to call a family member. I think this would be a useful poll.

Dan
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 02:26:48 AM by lopsided »

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Luann

Re: How Long Till You Could Cut Your Own Toenails ?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 09:47:08 AM »
OK, Dan, you crack me up! I thought only girls cared about this. By the looks of my husband's toenails... never mind!
 I think I could do it at about a month and 1/2. Because I knew it would be a problem, I cut them down to "nubbins" a day or two before my surgery (a very painful ordeal for my hip even then!).
  Now,at 3 and 1/2 months postop, I sit in a chair or on a stair-step and put the heal of my foot on my HR'd leg at the edge (of the chair/step) to be able to steady it and reach it well. Not really painful to do anymore, I think the position is more due to range of motion issues I'm still working out.
 PS. if you think cutting them is hard, try painting them!  :D     Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

Lopsided

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 10:24:36 AM »
Lu,

Once again, I am glad you take me seriously.

Dan

Luann

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 11:44:53 PM »
Do you think any one else will take us up on this issue? Perhaps they haven't even thought to cut them yet? Yuck!  Lu

Lopsided

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 08:59:18 AM »

Do you think any one else will take us up on this issue? Perhaps they haven't even thought to cut them yet? Yuck!  Lu

I really hope other people will get on this.

Either no one else has cut their nails, Yuck! As you say.

Or no one else considers this important, which I fail to understand.

Painting nails might also be important, but applies to fewer people.

I suppose this could have been how long till could tie your own shoe laces, or how long till you could dry between your toes, also important.

But I think for a benchmark that would be as useful as any poll, toenails will do.

In the meantime, Lu, it is just you and me.

Dan

MarkNC

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 07:35:24 AM »
Okay...I'll jump in too.  ;D

My surgery was mid June.  I cut my toenails solo around 2 weeks ago...felt a little weird stretching the connective tissue, but no real pain.  I sit on the bed and prop my heel on the box spring (slide the mattress back about 2 inches...) also a great way to easily put on socks.

Lopsided

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 09:31:13 AM »
Done it, nearly two months!

Not particularly easy, or comfortable, and not the most even cuts. I did it sitting in the chair drawing my knee up. Although I can just about get my knee high enough, I cannot twist at that height, so my knee was in my field of view for the two smallest toes.

Independence, dignity, and roughly cut toe nails. That's what a lump of steel in your hip does.

Luann

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 11:54:36 PM »
Yeah Dan! Glad to hear you were finally able to make the world a more beautiful place (nothing harder on the ol' eyes than unkept toenails!). How are you doing overall?  Lu

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 07:58:47 AM »
6-7 weeks

mickoc19

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 12:30:24 PM »
8 weeks

Tin Soldier

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 03:38:29 PM »
No data here since I haven't become a hippy yet.  However, that particular move - pulling the knee up to face and looking over your knee to cut your toenails (Ouch) is the first move that I made where I noticed inflexibility.  That was at least 5 years ago, I'm 41 now.  Now I can barely tie my left shoe.  I will be extremely happy when I can officially vote, because it has been so long since I have been able to do that within a lot of pain.  You should see my toenails!  Just kiddin, my lovely wife cuts mine, and the kid's, and the dog's.  My kids run away when I ask them if they can cut my toenails for me and tie my shoes,... Hey, I did it for them.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Tarhoo2

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 06:32:34 PM »
For all of these activities -- tying shoelaces, clipping toenails, etc. -- I found it helpful to sit on stairs, once the proper healing time had elapsed, of course, and reach down to do whatever. In fact, even after almost three years, I still do a stretch every morning where I sit on the stairs and reach down as far as I can.

maxi

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 06:22:49 PM »
just came across this thread.
my nails needed cutting badly at 6 weeks and it took me another 9 days after till i could just manage it. independance is a wonderful thing indeed ...   ;D
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 10:32:35 PM »
I cut my nails before surgery knowing that it may be a while after surgery until i could cut them again. I never had them cut by someone else. I managed to cut them by sitting on the living room couch and leaning over. The couch was just the right height and I could just manage to do them, although it wasn't easy. It would not have been much longer until I would not be able to cut them myself at all.

I managed to cut them right before my 6 week post op recheck using the same method. It was much easier although it was tight stretching to do them. I was very careful. I guess that would have been 5 1/2 weeks post op. I didn't want the doc and nurse to see long ugly toenails on me. What things vanity will make us do!   ;D ;D  And yes, I cleaned up my nail clippings after I was done.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

FlbrkMike

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 10:37:43 PM »
After both surgeries by 3-4 weeks (probably 2 weeks after the first) I could, while sitting in a chair, put the foot of my operated leg on top of the other knee.  This allows fairly good access for putting on socks and cutting nails.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

katekosar

• Disney Olympic 2006
Light bulb moment.
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 08:38:39 AM »
My initial reaction to the thread was "that's what pedicures are for."  And then I realized what a fabulous idea it would be to have one before the HR on 4/27.  Spa, here I come!

8)

kate

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 09:23:24 AM »
I had the spa pedicure on my to do list before tomorrow but I ran out of time so I had to get hubby to clip them.  I can't remember the last time I could cut them - so have been going for pedicures mostly.  I asked my health fund if I could claim them since I couldn't reach my toes (half jokingly) - they said no (if they had of said yes I wouldn't have been joking).  So now they have to pay for bilateral BMHR tomorrow.  Think they might have been better off paying for the pedicures for a little while :)  (cost wise for them it might have been a better business decision...  lol...  just kidding)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:24:51 AM by Lori Cee »
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

hernanu

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 09:42:07 AM »
I had the spa pedicure on my to do list before tomorrow but I ran out of time so I had to get hubby to clip them.  I can't remember the last time I could cut them - so have been going for pedicures mostly.  I asked my health fund if I could claim them since I couldn't reach my toes (half jokingly) - they said no (if they had of said yes I wouldn't have been joking).  So now they have to pay for bilateral BMHR tomorrow.  Think they might have been better off paying for the pedicures for a little while :)  (cost wise for them it might have been a better business decision...  lol...  just kidding)

Funny. I admire your comic guts in asking them. I never even considered a pedicure, since I'd have to overcome all of that south american machoness to do that, and I'm not mature enough for THAT.

I was able to cut them at 5-6 weeks, on the bed, I sat, put my leg on the bed, turned my knee out and bent my knee, putting my foot on the bed. I had been doing stretches at outpatient PT to put my foot on my knee, but this gave me a lot more stability. It was still tight, but eventually became more comfortable as my ROM increased.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

blkhank

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 08:58:48 PM »
I'm 7weeks post op. I'm aloud to be full weigh bearing  for a week. I can't touch my toes so I just went in and had my first pedicure. Hay it works. :)

Spanielsal

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 01:50:31 PM »
still can't paint my own toenails but loving the pedicure excuse. it sounds like lots of you have more ROM than me. am 8.5yrs post LHR with Cormet.  Shoes and socks can be difficult, but i guess i am just grateful not to be in such pain anymore.  I am loving this page with all of you out there who have gone through the same thing, i'd been feeling pretty alone. thanks guys. Sal
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear