+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip resurfacing incision  (Read 3620 times)

CarolUK

Hip resurfacing incision
« on: September 18, 2010, 06:02:18 AM »
I was puzzled to see that my hip resurfacing incision was much longer than my fellow hip replacement patients in hospital - my incision is 10.5 inches long, beginning upper-mid thigh and extending well into my buttock. I raised this with my consultant at my 8 week post-op appointment and sort of wished I hadn't when he explained the reason.
Unlike a total hip replacement where the removal of the head of the femor provides a clear view of the acetabulum for the surgeon, with a hip resurfacing the femor has to be pulled out of the way with retractors to permit access...
Consequently there can be increased soft tissue damage which obviously impacts on recovery and rehabilitation.
I had considerable swelling which took several weeks to subside and am struggling with muscle atrophy - exacerbated by using a walking aid prior to surgery - at 9.5 weeks post-op.
I have the same condition in my left hip as I had in my right (femero acetabular impingement) but would have to be crawling on my belly before I put myself through this again  :(

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Hip resurfacing incision
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 09:29:04 AM »
My surgeon, Dr. De Smet of Belgium who has done over 3000 resurfacings explains a large incision allows the doctor to do the surgery faster and easier.  My surgery took 45 minutes.   I had no swelling or bruising.  I was on one crutch after leaving the hospital in 2 1/2 days and did not take any meds other an Advil at night for stiffness.  I was sight seeing at 5 days post op and did not need a crutch at 3-4 weeks post op.  I was walking over a mile a day by 10 days post op.

A large incision does not mean slow healing or problems.  The difference on the recovery is very subject to the surgeons skill and how the perform the surgery while placing the resurfacing components.

I just wanted to make sure new people realize that not eveyrone has problems after their resurfacing.  A really expeirnced surgeon generally won't do a lot of soft tissue damage.  If you follow stories from patients of the really expiernced surgeons compared to the less expiernced, you will often see a difference with their recoveries.  I was with 8 other people - none had swelling or bruising and all were on one crutch.  I was not an exception for most De Smet Patients.

We all have different recoveries and I think it is as important to tell about the easy recoveries as well as the diffiuclt.  The more diffiuclt your problem before surgery often results in a much slower recovery.  It took months for your hip to deteriorate and to depend on walking aids.  In that case, it will take months to heal.  There is a lot of muscle problems to overcome.  Just placing a new hip does not remove all the previous damage.  It takes a great deal of time.  I had a very painful hip and no meds would relieve the pain, but did not use a cane or help before surgery.  Therefore, my recovery was much easier.  Each person is different and each recovery different. Fortunatley, most people are somehwere in the middle.

I am sorry for your long and slow recovery.  It must be good to be out of pain and getting more active.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

pc

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 01:28:29 PM »
I concur with Pat. Although my surgery is only 11 days post op, my recovery is going extremely well. My incision is almost 12 inches and quite sightly, however I experience almost no pain what so ever. I walked this a.m. 2 miles, one crutch, with very little limp. I am focusing on training my body to walk upright and without a limp. The longer I walk the easier it is to keep form. I suppose after a half mile everything is warmed up and flowing well. I have taken no pain medication since coming home, the day after the surgery. The surgeon (Dr. Hickman SLC, Utah) has performed upwards of 700 procedures and has an impeccable record. The anesthesiologist who assisted was very good administering the medication and I contribute my recovery to them. Additionally, as mentioned in other posts, I have always kept in high physical condition and spent the 2 months prior to surgery trying to peak with strength and aerobic conditioning.  Most days I spent 2 hours daily between strenght and aerobic conditioning. I expect some tough days ahead and hopefully will take them in stride, but 11 days in I wouldn't change a thing and in fact am enjoying the new challenges related to recovering. I can't wait to test three miles, then four, start biking again, and pushing towards a fantastic ski year. On yesterdays walk I actually started felling the old drive I used to have when I was running marathons. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who fought having the surgery for over a year. Rick

CarolUK

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:22:32 AM »
Thank you Pat and pc for your comments ;D My post does sound rather gloomy but this could well be down to impatience on my part and unrealistic expectations.
My muscle atrophy is definitely exacerbated by the extensive usage of a walking aid prior to surgery - I didn't realise at the time, that this was a possible repercussion.
The post-op swelling was probably made worse because I developed an allergic reaction to "something they used during surgery", which we will never know. My leg and buttocks were angry red and boiling hot but once the clinicians realised what it was, heavy doses of antihistamine calmed it quickly.
I don't think I mentioned my age before; I'm 46. My range of motion in my operated hip is greatly improved post-surgery and I endeavour to walk, cycle and do my exercises regularly to promote muscle strength and repair.
I don't know how many resurfacing operations my consultant has carried out to date - is there a way of finding out?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 09:09:30 AM »
The easiest way to know how many resurfacings a surgeon has done is to ask him/her.  Sometimes their office will tell you.  Always go to the source to get accurate info.

I hope things start to go better for you.  Patience will be your best friend.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

lori.36

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 10:50:34 AM »
Carol,

Sorry about the pain, especially at the 9 week mark, must be frustrating.  I am contemplating getting the BHR, so I appreciate all stories so that I know what I am in for.  Thanks and good luck healing.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

edfskins

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 03:08:10 AM »
My first post :)  I'm 11 days out of surgery with Dr. Pritchett in Seattle and feel I'm doing about average.  It's interesting reading the various posts and comparing other experiences and recovery time lines with mine.  I left the hospital on crutches, two days post op, and was walking 2 miles on one crutch by day 5.  Yesterday I walked for two hours, in addition to my 3 rounds of home PT exercises, and suspect I overdid it a bit.  I'm amazed that so many hippies are off medication so quick, including you Pat.  I've had significant bruising around the incision, post op, but it's greatly improved and never caused much pain.  My pain is primarily in my lower quad, between my 10 inch incision and knee, and feels like I was hit with a sledge hammer.  I don't understand why this area is so sore and wonder if it was deeply bruised during dislocation?  Everything is getting better, will continue to do so with time, but I'm a bit concerned that I still need meds to sleep.  I had a percocet at 5:30am this morning and then didn't have anything all day.  I had nagging pain all day, was fairly uncomfortable and discouraged and didn't take a walk outside or do much PT.  Is it ok to continue with the meds so that I can sleep and do my exercises?  I'm 46, weigh 175 and was very fit going into surgery.  Curious why I have so much pain still????   

Lopsided

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 03:42:07 AM »
and feels like I was hit with a sledge hammer.

Well actually you were hit with a hammer, not a sledge hammer, though. That is how they get the two components in place.

Not surprising you are bruised. Ice it every resting moment.

Sounds like you you are overdoing it a bit.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

jgenese

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 08:29:39 AM »
edfskins,

Try slowing down a little. 11 days post op and walking for two hrs. No wonder. You don't enen know what your body went through. Give it time to heal. It's been 10 days post op for me and I'm feeling great...sore still but great. I wouldn't think of walking for two hours right now. Remember...Ride the wave   ;)

JohnnyG

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 09:34:26 AM »
I used opiod painkillers and 2 sticks for the first 3 weeks but persevered with the exercise and rest/icing. Now at 7 weeks I feel completely normal. Just keep at it! Good luck, G.

EMP

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 09:57:03 AM »
Hello fellow hippys

Well I'm 8 days post op on my bilateral hip resurfacing with Dr. Su at HSS.  I have incisions on both sides between 10-12 inches.  I was also a bit surprised on the size of the incision and need for 38 staples on one side and 42 on the other (can't wait for these to come out!)  I'm still pretty sore and trying to get off the meds, but still need them before PT.  I'm progressing at probably an average rate, although envy those stories you read of people running marathons or squatting 900 lbs 3 weeks post op!  I guess I do need to be a bit more patient because I had bilaterials.  I'd be interested in hearing form other bilaterials on their progress 2,3,4.... weeks post op.  Thanks everyone for your openness to share your experiences.  Reading these posts really helps!

Ewald

TMoney

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 03:30:26 AM »
This is a line a recall well from med school:
"wounds heal side to side, not end-to-end."
Take home message is don't fight through a small incision when exposure i better with longer incision

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear