+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Right Hip 10/22  (Read 5072 times)

Cisco Kid

New Right Hip 10/22
« on: September 21, 2010, 07:50:53 PM »
Hi All.  I'm scheduled for a hip resurfacing Oct 22, 2010.  It's being performed by Dr David Mayman at Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. I was thinking about putting off until next year, but I'm tired of the pain and not being able to participate in activities I enjoy like tennis, hiking, etc.  It's been three years now since the pain started.  I always thought it was muscular until an MRI in Jan, 2010 showed OA.  An x-ray at HSS last week shows it's now bone on bone at the top of the fermoral head.  This site has been a great with helping me make my decision on a Resurfacing vs Hip Replacement and on what to expect. I'll follow-up post surgery.

Thanks All.

Ben

Luann

Re: New Right Hip 10/22
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:44:52 PM »
Good Luck Ben! Soon you will be doing all those things you want to do... seriously! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow!  Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

Luann

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 10:47:31 PM »
Opps! I mean, tomorrow next month! ;D  Lu  (PS. read the posts on prep at home and start getting ready if you haven't already)

littleb

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 01:30:42 AM »
HSS is a great hospital with great staff. Good Luck.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 09:41:53 AM »
Good luck! I had the same bone on bone situation, the difference is incredible - you'll love living without that pain.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Cisco Kid

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 11:26:19 AM »
Done. My right hip was resurfaced by Dr Mayman at HSS yesterday. HSS and Dr Mayman are great. Only issue I've had so far is that my left thigh stayed numb until tis AM. I took my first steps today with a walker. I went out of my room into the hallway and back. Pain got to about a 5. Not bad. PT was very happy with how I did the first time. They might give me crutches this afternoon.

Ben

Luann

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 02:07:22 PM »
 Congrats and happy healing, Ben... Good times are just a few weeks away for you!  Lu

Cisco Kid

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 10:00:06 AM »
Hi,
Walked about 200 ft and walked up and down 6 steps yesterday ? Pain was actually less despite the long walk. I'm going to be released to go home today. I can't say enough about how great the staff at HSS and Dr Mayman has been. My wife is studying for a personal training certification and asked Dr mayman about the hip muscle groups effected by the surgery. He took his time to go over each muscle group and tendon they have to touch for the procedure.

Ben

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 02:44:43 PM »
Sounds great Ben! it gets better as you go, make sure you do all of your exercises if you're doing PT. Great recovery. I'm on 8 weeks, walking without a limp and have goen back to working out at the gym (under PT supervision, to begin with).

Congratulations.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 04:11:30 PM »
Ben

Congratulations on the new hip.  Will be looking forward to your posts about your progress.  Take it easy and keep in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Cisco Kid

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 11:47:22 AM »
I've was on 2 x Percocet every five hours the first three days after surgery. When I got home on Monday I cut that back to 1 x every 5 hours. I don't like some of the side effects I've been having (nausea, drowsiness, itching) with Percocet. Today I'm going to try 2 X Tylenol every 5 hours. Had my first home PT session today. Exercises went well, though some were quite uncomfortable. PT told me that I really don't need him based on my ability to do the exercises, but I'll do PT for 2 weeks anyway. My right surgical thigh is swollen about 3 inches larger than my left. Incision looks good.  A lot of bruising, but my surgeon told me that this is normal. My wife told me that I'm not longer walking with a limp for the first time in three years.

Ben

Cisco Kid

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 11:32:40 AM »
Hi,

One week post Op. Hip feels pretty good. Muscles feel like pulled and stretched like they should. Pain pretty much doesn't get above a 3 or so. Went to Costco with my wife yesterday.  When I got back, the muscles felt pretty tight.  Ice therapy helps a lot.  I would recommend to everyone to ice their hip on and off daily.  Got off the percocet and went to back to vicodin which I was taking pre-surgery.  Perc was giving me to many side effect. Just taking one Vicodin about and hour before PT. I decided to stop the in house PT and continue the exercises with my wife helping. She is a Personal Trainer and a Spin instructor.   I don't feel the PT is providing any value add, though it could be he's not very good at what he's doing.

Ben

jimsecreto

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 10:51:49 PM »
for me the question wasnt do i want or need a hip resurfacing - -i didn't want work to evaluate me if i was up to standards with a hip replacement so i needed a surgeon with the guts to do it...I had a nasty cyst on the femur. So I was Lucky to have Dr. Su perform it . Sooooo get in get it done and be grateful  - I am. BEST WISHES AND GOOD LUCK!!

hipnhop

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 12:28:50 PM »
Ben, thanks for your posts. It is really inspiring to me. I am looking at HR soon. Keep posting . How are you?
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Cisco Kid

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 05:01:39 PM »
Hi,

A little over two weeks post op. Have about a 1 - 2 inch infection in the incision. No temperature, no pain. Just some pus and drainage. My surgeon put me on Keflex for a week. Got on a stationary bike yesterday for the first time. Had to raise the seat about 4 inches higher than before surgery due to muscle tightness.  Did 10 minutes with no resistance on the bike. Went well.  Was a little more sore yesterday night because of it. I've been totally off pain meds for over a week now. Not even taking OTC pain meds. Switched to a cane over the weekend.  Didn't take long to get use to it. Except for the small infection, so far, so good.

Ben

Cisco Kid

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 08:43:45 PM »
4 weeks post op now. No pain. Hip just feels like a pulled muscle with limited flexibility. I still can't pull my right leg high enough to put on socks. Been on a cane for about two weeks now. Around the house, I go without the cane when walking short distances.Drove today for the first time. Not bad, but I wouldn't feel comfortable driving longer that 15 minutes or so. I could feel the leg tightening up. Of course I want to be over this and be able to do the things I had done before the arthritis hit. One step at a time.

Ben
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 08:44:52 PM by Cisco Kid »

hipnhop

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 06:29:20 PM »
Ben, keep it up. You'll be back to normal soon. Take it easy. I'll be joining you in a few.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

23109VC

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 12:23:57 AM »
Any update?  How are you doing now?
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster