+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hello all  (Read 4369 times)

JGardner

Hello all
« on: September 28, 2010, 01:49:20 PM »
Hello.  I'm scheduled for surgery 14 Oct on my right hip and figured I'd introduce myself. I've been cycling and racing for about 40 years now and hope I got at least another 20 in me.  I'll keep fellow cyclists updated on my progress and rehab so as to share the wealth of info provided by this site.  (Thanks Pat!)  My intended goal is to be able to resume racing in April 2011 and attend the Masters Road Nationals in August 2011.

Luann

Re: Hello all
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 06:30:21 PM »
Good Luck! I have now doubt you'll reach your goals. Many of us who enjoy sports and rowdy activities are doing very well with HR! I am an equestrian (some extreme-ish riding!) and at 4 months, I am almost at 100% of my previous riding ability, only better and without pain!!
 Read about all the preparation you should be doing before surgery on this great site and get excited about returning to your beloved sport!  Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

JGardner

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 03:50:33 PM »
Well this is it.  Surgery scheduled for Thursday at 1030.  Putting the final touches on getting the house ready for my return.

toby

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 05:00:31 PM »
JC,
As a reasonably athletic guy, after years of major problems and rapid deterioration in the few months prior to my HR, I went in for my op without any fear or anxiety. I knew it was my time to concentrate on ME and nurturing a newly aligned hip. Maybe I was pretty lucky bit I genuinely found the whole HR experience straight forward and rewarding.  Just go and enjoy-cos it really is a new beginning.
Best Wishes from a UK hip buddy.
Toby
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

Luann

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 04:53:25 PM »
JGardner,
 Thinking about you today, here's hoping your sx goes well! You'll be glad you did it, and it will just keep getting better. Remember that these next few days!  Let us know how you're doing when you feel up to it!  Lu

JGardner

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 10:46:05 AM »
Thanks Luann.  Well I'm home now.  Surgery went well.  I'm walking around and doing my exercises. I see my surgeon Monday(25 Oct) to have my staples removed.  Then my coach and PT will get together to design my recovery plan.  I'm taking it easy.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 10:54:19 AM »
JGardner - Congratulations on your new hip.  Glad to hear everything went well for you.  Take it easy during the begining of your recovery.  Don't overdo your activities.  You will have plently of time for that.  Let your body heal at it's own rate - you can't push it like you could during training for a sport.  If you push too hard, you will get swelling and have to take it even more easy.  So go slow in the begining and plan on what a great summer you will have next year.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Luann

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 07:32:36 PM »
Yeah!! Glad to hear it went well! Do what the Dr's instructs and keep getting better! Keep us all posted! Congrats! Lu

JGardner

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 10:17:52 AM »
Update...  Four weeks after my surgery (14 October) and with the OK of my Dr., I rode 40 miles on Saturday and Sunday.  My recovery is going very well.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 12:52:10 AM »
There is hope.  Thanks for your story.

I missed out on a multi-day cycle tour with my buddies this year due to my hips.  Thinking about calling the doc right now.  2 new chromoly hips under the christmas tree?  ;)  Actually that's too soon.  But I have to say that these great stories about RS are getting me more primed for doing it and I may do it this spring. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

jjmclain

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 07:04:02 AM »
Tin Soldier,

You will be happy if you decide to get the surgery. I am 3 weeks post op today and even though I still have pain and swelling in my leg from the surgery, the hip pain is gone. I am a triathlete and look forward to competing again pain-free! However, I am going to follow doctors orders and not do anything that could damage my new hip...in other words, you will not catch me outside on my bike until probably at 4 or 6 months. I don't want to risk a fall. I figure I have the rest of my life to get it back. If you have the surgery, you will be back cycling with your buddies by the time the weather is warm again!

June

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat