+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Osteophytes on Resurfaced Hip  (Read 2725 times)

dimples

Osteophytes on Resurfaced Hip
« on: September 28, 2010, 08:32:22 PM »
Hi Everyone,
Does anyone have experience with bony growth on their resurfaced hips?  My resurfaced hip is 2 1/2 years old.  On a recent x-ray, my Dr. pointed out some areas of bone growth on the top part of the joint.  He also said that I had areas of calcification in the surrounding tissue.  He said that it wasn't an issue right now.  It concerns me though, because bone spurs were the main reason my hip was resurfaced to begin with. Any similar experience from my fellow surface hippies?
Unfortunately, he said that my other hip had deteriorated rapidly over the past year. :-[ Guess I will be a bilateral hippy sooner rather than later.
LBHR 4/30/08

Luann

Re: Osteophytes on Resurfaced Hip
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 09:52:34 PM »
Hi Dimples,
 Wow, I hate to hear that news! My cartilage was actually almost perfect. The real reason I had HR was because of "bone spurs" that were on the joint and surrounding it.  My body had a hey-day making them on this joint, as I compared a raidiograph taken just 2 years prior and they were longer and more numerous. I asked my Dr after surgery if they might come back, and he said that they shouldn't.
 Do you have any pain or ROM issues? Did the Dr seemed concerned? Where are the new spurs located relative to the prothesis?   
 Thanks, hope they don't start causing you problems, Lu

F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

dimples

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 07:09:41 AM »
The main reason for my resurface was bone spurs too.  I was 42 at the time of my surgery.
The new bone growth is mainly on the top part of the hip. Although the tissue under the bottom side showed calcifications also. My ROM has never been great, but much better than before my surgery when the hip was almost "locked up" with bone spurs. I didn't expect them to come back on the resurfaced hip.  The Dr. told me they weren't an issue right now.  I'm concerned that they will be later on if the bone spurs continue to grow.  I am going to question him about it more when I go back for my next visit.
Thanks!

way2slow

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 10:09:50 AM »
As you probably know the term drs use is heterotopic ossification, HO. There is a drug that your dr can prescribe after surgery to lessen this problem. I cant think of its name at the moment but something to inquire about. I too have a propensity to grow bone spurs and will take this medication after my LBHR...next week! yikes. Kevin 

Luann

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 12:06:46 AM »
Hi Dimples,
 Please let me know what you find out. I will question my Dr next time I see him. Thanks, Lu

Luann

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 12:13:49 AM »
Oh, and good luck Kevin! I'm thinking you may be having your HR as I write this. Keep us posted on how things go! (My Dr. called the spurs osteophytes) Lu

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat