+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Plateau  (Read 1819 times)

Lopsided

Plateau
« on: September 30, 2010, 09:39:27 AM »
Six weeks out, and I was making progress pretty much daily. Not an even progress, some days I got stronger, other days I got more range.

Now I seem to have reached a plateau, not sure that I can perceive that I am improving. I know I need to get a lot stronger, my left leg is still smaller than my right, and I definitely need more range of movement. I can dry my foot now, but I cannot cut my toenails.

I get 'startup stiffness' and seem to need more sleep than before the operation. The good thing is that I can walk for miles, and this does mean a lot to me. Walking freely, with a good stride shows that the operation is a success already.

I realise that I cannot expect to improve at the same rate as the first week, or I would be superman within a few months. But what is meant to happen after six weeks? Does it get better imperceptibly? Are there lots of up and downs? Do I get better in jumps at irregular intervals?

There are lots of stories on this site about people who are recently done, and success stories of people months and years later. What happens in the medium term?

Thank you.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Luann

Re: Plateau
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 02:28:57 PM »
Hey Dan, me again. I have a lot of these same questions. Espcially the first year of recovery. I still (at 4 months +) have the start-up limp when first standing, laying down. The last couple of days, for some unknown reason, I have been a little "achey" deep down in the joint with a little muscle soreness, so I did not ride yesterday, and actually took some Advil.  I still feel a little sore today. I did also feel the "platue effect" at about 3 and 1/2 months. I bet it is different for everyone, depending on their fitness before surgery, age, amount of joint damage, health of the rest of their joints, etc. Just dont' be discouraged. I remember HR patients on this very website say that they did not feel 100% healed for a year or more. Just keep enjoying your walks (I know I do!) .
 I do look forward to hearing from people who are further out than us.
 PS-  I'm still taking you seriously- take heed world!  Lu     
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

resurface

Re: Plateau
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 02:58:33 PM »
I am 5 months out and as far as a "plateau" affect, a few thoughts to consider:

(1) The injury caused by resurfacing has a great deal of room for recovery (for the injury itself) - so for many this "fast" recobery is done by 6 mo.  My analogy: If you start on a running program, you may see major improvements after 6 months... do you usually keep improving at the same pace.  Likely not.
(2) After the 6 mo window, we are feeling great but our available post surgery range of motion does not jive with what our muscles, tendons and ligaments are ready for.  As my PT said, you have had a limited range of motion for years... it doesn't get better overnight.
(3) I have found that I had to keep telling myself to stretch more, recommit to the rehab, try new exercises, etc.

Finally, as we all know, this is major surgery.  It just takes time.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat