+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Size 44, what is the risk  (Read 2085 times)

lori.36

Size 44, what is the risk
« on: October 05, 2010, 11:21:38 AM »
I just had my appt with Dr Rector and he mentioned that I am a size 44mm, the lowest size that he will do.  I am wondering does the smaller than a 50mm put me in a riskier catageory?  Should I be seeing a top surgeon for this?  Everything I read says size smaller than 50mm, so I am wondering if they are refering to the BHR template that Dr Rector used of the size of the Femoral Head or the size o the cap.  Can someone please elaborate?  Thanks
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

B.I.L.L.

Re: Size 44, what is the risk
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 02:59:04 AM »
No takers huh ? , OK I'll bite. 
Yes I would get the opinion of one of the top surgeons if you have un-answered questions, a 2nd or 3rd opinion certainly can't hurt.  I went with a surgeon who had done about 75 resurfacings and wound up with a steep cup.   Don't be part of someones learning curve, just my $.02 

As far as a smaller size head and cup, I would be more concerned with perfect placement. Although the general consensus seems to be that bigger is better, at some point I'd be concerned with how much pelvis they need to hog out to make it fit, bigger isn't better if they whittle away your pelvis paper thin to make it fit. Proper size for your body and placement, placement, placement.... and don't be afraid to get others opinions and be a pain in the butt if need be, you only want to do this once. Good luck !!,  Bill.

littleb

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 11:48:34 AM »
From what I've researched less than 44 is where risk increases. That is why some doctor's won't do women. There is another site that gives all the info from the conferences of the top doctors. I got it from the yahoo group. I had my surgery with Doctor Su 7 weeks ago and I have a 44 cap. Had my first post op visit last week and he's very happy with placement and my recovery so far. Dr. Su tends to be a bit conservative and we had a long talk before surgery where he reminded me again that some doctor's won't do women because of size and bone density issues. I agreed to THR if he didn't like what he saw. 44 seems to be an okay number for him.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 08:16:15 PM »
If you are a small woman, you really need to only consider using the very best hip resurfacing surgeons.  Those that have done thousands.  They are really the only surgeons that generally will do a small woman or diffiuclt case.  You can't decide yourself that you are not a good candidate because you require a 44 cup.  You are not an experinced hip resurfacing surgeon. You also don't have other medical companies devices available to you.  The top surgeons use different hip resurfacing devices depending on the patient and their particular problem.

Dr. Bose of India does a large number of small women.  He did use the ASR for almost 1/2 his patients and has not had any revisions that I know of.  He is expiernced in working with small women.  You will find some hip resurfacing surgeons don't like doing AVN patients and others have great sucess with it.Each has their own expertise.

Get input from the top surgeons that have done a thousand or more.  Then  you will have real information to make a decision.  Patients just don't have that expeirnce to tell anyone if they are a candidate by listening to their story or concerns.  We can give opinions, but that is where it stops.  Use the top expeinced surgeons and get information you can rely on.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

lori.36

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 12:14:24 PM »
Well I am not a small woman.  I a 5'7" and athletic.  How does one get an opinion from the top surgeons.  I would like to stay in the US, so I guess I should talk with Dr Su and Dr Gross and what is the guy in Cali? 

Pat do you know how to contact these dr?  I really do not have a lot of money or time to fly around the country, I would rather do virtual appts or email.  Thanks for all of your help and ideas.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 10:16:27 PM »
Hi

Here is a list of all the top surgeons and their contact information.  The surgeons over 1000 resurfacings are at the top.  You can email Dr. Gross. I am not sure about Dr. Su. You can also email the overseas surgeons like Dr. De Smet and Dr. Bose.  Both will answer your emails and give you a free consultation. 

http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM