+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How often, how much, how fast, how far?  (Read 4173 times)

The Kid

How often, how much, how fast, how far?
« on: October 10, 2010, 11:06:20 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've been easing back into running since getting the go ahead from Dr. Rogerson back in late August only going 2x per week per his suggestion and keeping the distances down.  I've worked up to right about 6 miles although I did get in about 8 yesterday and it felt good.  I was just wondering from some of the other runners out there how you got back into running.  I'd like to pick it up a bit but would  like some advice.  For a little background, I'm almost 46 and prior to surgery ran about 5x a week with long runs on the weekend of anywhere between 10 and 20 miles.  I've got my weight down to my high school weight and am lifting weights regularly.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...The Kid 

LHR Dr. Rogerson 2/22/2010
LH BHR, 2/22/2010, Dr. Rogerson, Madison, WI Meriter Hosptial

Tommy

Re: How often, how much, how fast, how far?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 12:43:45 PM »
I followed the path as you at 7 months was doing 4 to 5 days a week with my longs being 12 to 18 at that point. I used my hip as the gage on how much to do, sometimes It said run sometimes I cross trained. I always stessed good running form over speed and distance. Good luck. 
                                                         Tommy

Dr Tupper  LBHR  6/02/09
Oklahoma
DR Gross Biomet uncemented RHR 5/6/22

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 02:47:42 PM »
Kid,

If you want to pick it up a bit, I'd suggest some hill repeats. They get you stronger without pushing the hip too hard. I like the treadmill for Tabata intervals, warm up or 1-2 miles then step on the side of the treadmill and take the grade up to 12% and speed anywhere from 7-9mph...with hands on the rails jump on (take care) and run uphill for 20 seconds/ then jump off with hands on side rails for 10 second rest...repeat for a total of 8 reps
then cooldown. It will kick you butt without hurting your hip. have fun!!!

best,

spencer

The Kid

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 01:15:29 PM »
Thanks for the input Tommy & Spencer.  You guys are machines, I hope to get back to half marathon status by next summer and actually do well maybe even set a PR.  Thanks for the input.

Tom
LH BHR, 2/22/2010, Dr. Rogerson, Madison, WI Meriter Hosptial

hipnhop

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 03:15:33 PM »
Currently, I cant run. I need a HR. You guys excite me to have my HR as soon as possible. I went form running 40 -50 miles per week to crutches. Arthritis is such a debilitating disease. Keep the inspiration coming. I hope to post some my new marathon PR a year after my HR.  Yey that's a slogan: Want to PR? Get a HR (its a start)!!
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

jjmclain

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 03:27:37 PM »
When is your surgery? Mine is next week and I can't wait. I am a triathlete, competing (not this past year though due to how bad my hip has gotten) mainly in Ironmans and Half Ironmans, and now walking is painful! I too look forward to a PR again some day. This site is fantastic and you will get so much information from it. I love reading all of the stories...it gives me hope that I will get my life back!!

Bob E

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 12:49:02 PM »
I'm one month post-op and doing great. Until reading some of the posts I'd decided to be content with no more than 5K's and sprint tri's but reconsidering. One thing I am going to do is take it VERY SLOW!!

sfinrecovery

• Right Hip BHR November 8, 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 07:19:53 PM »
Great to see there is an active recreational future for me there soon?  I have not posted for a while, going from doctors' interviews to dealing with the best surgical approach, etc.  Before my hip injury almost three ears ago, my life was active, enjoying outdoors, cycling, swimming and some of the best hikes in the workld.  Since that injury, I have only reminisced on going back to my tri-days, certainly swimming and cycling!  Hearing from some of you and how you have recovered successfully brings hope that I will be recreationally active again.

It has been two weeks since my right BHR surgery.  Post surgery depression, anxiety and uncertainty on how my hip will turn out is hovering over the wonderful future that I know lies ahead of me.  Patience, trust in the process and the understanding that "this too shall pass" are hard to swallow right now.  In reading the hiptalk I see so many ways in which some of you have recovered, sometimes slower, sometimes quicker. 

I will definitely post my experience when I feel in a better state of mind - in the meantime, any help in overcoming the depression and feelings of helplessness and self pity are welcomed.  Somewhere along the line I know this too shall pass, in the meantime, I feel I am drowning...

I sure my next posting will be better.  I am seeing my surgeon on Monday for my three week release... I am still on two crutches and very sore, so I am sure things will be getting better soon....

Safe healing for everyone!

Juan

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat