+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Post surgical pain of Hip Resurface compared to other surgeries???  (Read 1977 times)

23109VC

I'm wondering how much pain I will be in after the surgery is done.

I don't have much to benchmark against as I haven't had many surgeries except for a hernia operation and a vasectomy.  the V was easy.  I was in/out (no pun intended...) in less than an hour...

My hernia surgery was NOT arthroscopic.. it was the "old fashioned" way.. The doctor had warned me that it woudl hurt "a lot" in recovery.  and he was right.  Once I woke up and the pain meds wore off..it hurt like crazy.  any major movement I had searing pain in my pelvis from the incision....  i was taking vicodin for pain..so it wasn't like I needed morphine or anything..but it did hurt.

any of you have a hernia surgery - and if so - was the pain recovery from the hip resurface similar to / less than / etc. the hernia???

thanks.

Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

Lopsided

Re: Post surgical pain of Hip Resurface compared to other surgeries???
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 05:01:33 AM »
I'm wondering how much pain I will be in after the surgery is done.

None!

At least, it should be none. A little discomfort at times. In fact one of the worse aspects is the pain medication. Certainly all patients have different experiences, but I enjoyed the whole experience.

The idea of the operation is that it gives you back part of your life and gets rid of pain.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 07:54:04 AM »
Your pain should be well controlled.  Each doctor has different methods from moraphine pumps to pills to meds in your IV.  Very few people have great pain.  Occasionally someone finds the meds are not stopping their pain, then they change your meds.  I would not worry about being in pain with your hip resurfacing.  Many of us took little meds after leaving the hospital.  I only took Advil.  So concentrate on being out of pain and active again. Be positive and not worry. Also ask your surgeon what method will be used and explain that you are worried about your pain level.  It is a concern your surgeon should discuss with you.

I had open heart surgery to replace my aortic valve 10 weeks ago.  Did not have much pain there either.  They really control pain in the good hospitals.  I had more pain weeks later as my chest healed and I did things I haven't done in a long time.  Even then, I have plenty of Tramodol.  The surgeons make sure you have what you need.  Either your surgeon or family doctor should be working closely with you. I will say the hip resurfacing was a piece of cake compared to open heart surgery!  :o

Pat
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 07:56:22 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

23109VC

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 10:07:08 AM »
thanks!  I'm not really "worried"..m ore curious.

I have to have my hip fixed...it's not an option to "wait" anymore...  i just remember the day or two after my hernia surgery,, despite being on vicodin, my incision area was very sore.  if I sneezed.... OUCH... wow that hurt.  it was VERY hard to even get from mmy bed to the bathroom....  after a few days I was fine.. but that first few days was not fun.  maybe he should have given me better pain meds....  i don't know... maybe there is something about hernia surgery that is painful vs. other surgeries.. i have no ideae.. i'm a lawyer, not a doctor...

it sounds like everyone here has been posting that after s urgery they are in less pain than before - in that hte arthritic pain is gone.

I was wondering if there was a tremendous amount of surgical pain from the incisions....  that people still had to deal with for some time.  sounds like what pain there is, is minimal, and/or controlled with meds.

thanks.

Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

DirkV

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 01:45:10 AM »
Hi, From participation in hip resurfacing community, I've heard anecdotal theory that the better, more experienced surgeons have outcomes where patients have less pain. This was total unvalidated hypothesis, but regardless, most people don't seem to have high levels of pain from the surgery.
Let me add to the comments that post-op pain was minimal. I heard that they don't let you out of the hospital until you have a bowel movement, and that the heavy narcotics (oxycontin, oxycodone) are constipators. I had minimal pain, and avoided the pain killers after a day or 2. On day 3, I did take one as a precaution for the 6 hr car drive back home.
After a few days, the incision area felt like they had left a brick in my butt, but no bad pain. As the weeks went by, the size of the brick shrunk and gradually went away.
Good luck,
-Dirk
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

Lopsided

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 08:07:20 AM »
I heard that they don't let you out of the hospital until you have a bowel movement

Walking up and down stairs, that was the qualification for leaving hospital. Thankfully they were not interested in my regularity, which returned without intervention.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal