+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: weight bearing post surgery  (Read 3308 times)

SteveT

weight bearing post surgery
« on: November 01, 2010, 05:20:29 PM »
I'm trying to prepare for surgery and want to inquire about how mobile people are in the first week or two.  I've got some tendonitis in both of my wrists (I'm 51 and have a three year old and a one year old ... you get the picture) so I think I might have some trouble with standard crutches, particularly if there's a period of complete non-weight-bearing.  But in some people's accounts, they're getting around pretty well very quickly.  Can people weigh in on how walking goes those first week or two?  Are you on two crutches but putting partial weight on the operated hip?  If so, how much?

Steve

Kennesaw-Jac

Re: weight bearing post surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 06:32:44 PM »
I am almost 2weeks and using a walker instead of cruches.  Walker more stable and takes a load off arms. I worked hard pre op to work all leg muscles and keep range of motion. Walking good now with no limp and hope to move to cane in week or so. Dr. Does not want me on crutches since weight bearing continues to work well with walker. Gets easier every day.  Off pain meds and starting to feel a little normal. Make sure you have a recliner.  Better than bed. Don't try and bust ass.  Stay active once an hour and try and walk from the beginning without a limp.  Good luck.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 08:00:42 PM »
Hi

Most overseas surgeons and some US surgeons use elbow crutches.  Much easier to use since you use part of your forearm for support.  You might want to look into that.

Each person is different in the recovery.  I only used one crutch after leaving the hospital which helped me a lot.  I was a bit weak in my upper body.  Again, each doctor is different.

You should discuss this with your surgeon.  As what they normally use and what options you might have.

Few surgeons would ask you to be 100% non weight bearing.  The more expirenced surgeons usually allow you to place as much weight as possible.  If you have a very diffiuclt problem, they might say only 50% weight bearing, but that is very unusual.

As I told you I was on one crutch after the hospital at 2 1/2 days.  They teach you to do stairs in the hospital.  I was sight seeing in Belgium at 5 days post op, but that is quite normal for De SMet patients.  I was walking about a mile a day at 9 days post op.  Used one crutch for about 3 weeks.  Often forgot it in the house. You can also lean on kitchen cabines and things if you are getting around without a crutch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

SteveT

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 04:33:42 PM »
Thanks so much for the info, Pat.  Right on target and very helpful.  And thanks for putting together this site.  It's been an incredible resource.

Josephine18

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 11:41:47 PM »
I had to be partial weight bearing after both of my HSR surgeries which included lengthy stretches of using both crutches and a cane.  I also have problem with my wrists that became exacerbated by weight bearing through them especially when I was on crutches.  I bought and wore wrist braces (Ace TekZone Wrist Wraps) that have metal stays both on the volar and dorsal aspects which helped take some of the stress off of them when I was using crutches.  When I switched over to a cane, I found one that had a "Fritz" type handle was less stressful on my wrist than one with an umbrella style handle.

BerkeleyGirl

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 12:31:31 AM »
This might be a dumb question, but.... I'm also tentatively planning to have the surgery (I see Dr. Schmalzreid in LA this Thursday), and I'm wondering WHY exactly you can't be weight-bearing. Is it just to let the sewn-back tissues heal? (Which: tendons? muscles? fascia? all the above?) To let the bone grow into or around (or whatever happens) the device so it doesn't slip off with pressure? Is it to make sure you don't torque in some way that could throw off the careful placement the surgeon made? Question also applies to the 90-degree (or 120 degree) bend rule after surgery -- how for a week or so we're not supposed to bend at the hip tighter than these angles.

I can sure understand why right NOW, with nearly bone-on-bone in my right hip, I can't be totally weight-bearing on that leg or hip, and why I walk with a limp. But why the limp AFTER the surgery? I talked on the phone recently to someone who's had the HR and said there was no pain afterwards, just soreness around the healing. Is that why the limp?

I too am trying to prepare for post-surgery life. Thanks!

Lopsided

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 02:02:17 AM »
and I'm wondering WHY exactly you can't be weight-bearing.

You can be weight bearing. That is the whole idea. My surgeon had me up and walking the morning after surgery.

You use crutches, not because the metal joint is not weight bearing, but because you have just been cut open, dislocated, drilled and hammered, and all of your tissue around the joint is tender.

My surgeon imposed the 90 degree and internal rotation rule for six weeks so that all the tissues could recover.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 08:05:10 AM »
When you have your surgery, you will find your balance to be off since you have been sliced and diced.  So that is really what I felt my crutch was for.  The operated side is just not strong and seems to have a mind of it's own.  I could put plenty of weight on the operated side after a few days, but there is no control from the surrounding muscles and ligaments.  It doesn't take long for most to get quite a bit of it back.  I was off a crutch at 3 weeks.  Some take much longer, others shorter.  You will find doing the abduction exercises trying to swing your leg out to the side and lifting it directly up off the bed, very diffiuclt.  It is the last thing to come back for most people.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz