+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shallow acetabular cup placement  (Read 7805 times)

edfskins

Shallow acetabular cup placement
« on: November 04, 2010, 12:49:18 AM »
Thanks Pat for this wonderful resource  ::)  I'm so impressed with everyone's knowledge, willingness and ability to provide such helpful and compassionate answers; lots of questions and concerns spinning around this newbie's head.  I'm hopeful that someone can help me with my issue.  I'm 46, 174 pounds, very fit and 14 days out of surgery with Dr. Pritchett. All seems to be going well thus far, I've just recently been able to back off the narcotics (only had one today) and recently had my post surgery appointment in Seattle.  While viewing my x-rays I asked about my acetabular cup angle.  He held up the protractor and said that it was 30 degrees.  Dr McMinn and others shoot for 40 degrees, problems can occur when the angle is 55 degrees or above, but I haven't heard of any potential consequences of having a shallow placement like mine.  I look forward to hearing from my fellow hippies and hope everyone is doing great :D  Much Thanks Erik   

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Shallow acetabular cup placement
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 02:37:49 PM »
Surgeons will adjust the cup angle to better fit your physical body build and for the activities you are going to participate in.  Women that dance often get a slightly different angle.

I can't tell you any more about your cup angle, but I am sure things will be fine.  Stay in touch.  Take it easy.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

stano

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 09:03:06 PM »
Pat,

can  a doctor go in and reset the angle of the cup if it is the reason behind the pain?

tHANKS

STANO

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 09:22:31 PM »
Hi
I only know of several cases where the doctor reset an acetabular cup.  Maybe there are more, but it is difficult and only the very top doctors would try.  Normally, if there is pain, unfortunately, the wrong angle has caused increased edge wear which causes high metal ions and a revision usually is done.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz