+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bilateral BHR 9/28/10  (Read 3345 times)

double trouble

Bilateral BHR 9/28/10
« on: November 08, 2010, 05:55:51 PM »
Bilateral BHR surgery was performed by Dr Scott Marwin at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases on 9/28/10.
61 year old male 6'1 220# good physical condition.
Required 2 units of Blood due to blood loss and resulting low blood count.
Incisions were 10-12" 38/44 staples
Transferred to Acute Rehab (Rusk Rehabilitation) resident in hospital on 10/2/10. Both PT and Occupational Therapy was excellent. Was able to walk with "Lobster Crutches" climb 2 flights of stairs and dress with various aides from a Hip Kit (grabber/long shoe horn/dressing stick/sock puter on prior to discharge on 10/9/10.
Received minimal 4 in home PT sessions.
At 4 weeks enrolled in excellent outpatient PT driving myself. At 5week driving my manual transmission car.
Still require crutches to walk at 6 weeks unable to walk with stability unaided.
Can see improvements week by week. The PT program I am attending is helping progress greatly.
Looking forward to transitioning to cane(s)

littleb

Re: Bilateral BHR 9/28/10
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 12:13:49 AM »
How are things going?
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

double trouble

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 10:24:10 AM »
Hi,
Road to recovery continues--Went off crutches this week --no cane walking unassisted. Still wobbling a bit in my gait, working at PT to correct that condition as well as on my own.
Went back to work (full days-office environment) at week 9 driving and taking mass transit (railroad and subway).
Sleeping on either side or stomach, able to to take escalators or climb/descend stairs (had to climb 3 flights this week - ADA elevator out of order)
Basically pain free (take regular Tylenol 1X in AM to get going) still feel weakness in lower legs, probably from the years of improper motion due to the OA, attending Good PT sessions 3x/week.
See progress in weekly increments--not day by day

littleb

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 01:51:51 PM »
I'm glad to hear things are moving along and so are you. Lots of stairs can still be tiring for me with one hip, I can imagine more so for you. Happy to hear all aids are gone. Good luck with your continued recovery.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

double trouble

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 03:30:11 PM »
thanks for the thoughts and Happy Holidays -- hopefully not a white Xmas not ready for skiing yet!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat