+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip Resurfacing - Two Years Later!  (Read 4525 times)

sgoulet

Hip Resurfacing - Two Years Later!
« on: November 11, 2010, 04:48:36 PM »

Greetings from Houston, Texas! On December 10, 2008 I had a Cormet Hip Resurfacing prosthesis using the direct anterior approach performed by Dr. Stefan Kreuzer.  The anterior direct approach (also known as “Smith Peteresen”) is relatively rare in the U.S. as many surgeons have not yet been trained with this approach.  The reported benefits of the direct anterior approach are the avoidance of detaching the major muscle groups from bone to access the femur as the muscles are spread versus being cut or detached.  My incision is located on the front of my thigh, beginning at groin height and going down about 5 1/2 inches.  Two years later, I am doing very well...and am at 100%, and performing the same activities as I was pre-surgery - with no pain!

Here is some information about me at time of surgery:

* I was 43 years old, athletic and am a competitive cyclist and triathlete.

* In the three years preceding my surgery, my right hip became progressively worse, losing range of motion, the loss of ability to do basic life functions (tying shoes, lifting leg, etc.) due to osteoarthritis. About 5 months prior to surgery, I got to the point where I couldn't even ride my road bike or ride a stationary bike due to onset of pain that would start after about ˝ hour into the exercise.  While my pain level and loss of function appears to be less than many others on who have had hip replacement on SurfaceHippy, given my relatively young age, it was to point where I had to get something done.

* I researched different surgical techniques and settled on the hip surfacing procedure versus full replacement, considering my age and the minimal impact of the procedure on my femur.  Once I decided on the hip resurfacing procedure, I had to pick a doctor and the surgical approach (posterior, anterior, cemented, uncemented, etc.)  While I am definitely not an expert of these variables, I chose Dr. Kreuzer and the direct anterior approach.

Post Surgery   

* Based on the outcome of my surgery, I would highly recommend this procedure and my doctor, Dr. Kreuzer. 

* Following surgery, I didn't have any formal physical therapy, but used an indoor spinning bike to get aerobic condition and strength back to my leg.  I combined it with a lot of stretching.

* My range of motion is very good in my operated leg…even better than my non-operated leg.  The range of motion was almost 100% right after surgery. 

* The only issue I have right now is nerve "deadness" on the lower front and outside of my thigh beginning just below the bottom of my incision (incision starts at the front and top of my thigh at the top pants pocket and is about 5.5 inches downward from there).  There was damage to my lateral femoral cutaneous nerve which innervates the skin on the lateral part of the thigh.  It doesn't affect mobility, but is dead to the touch at the skin.

* I currently cycle (road cycling) competitively in Texas and recently placed third place in a Texas state cycling competition.  I have not lost any fitness or power due to the surgery, and probably have gained a lot back due to the corrected hip.  I was able to begin cycling following about 8 weeks after surgery.

In summary, I would highly recommend the hip resurfacing procedure with Dr. Kreuzer.  More specifically, I recommend the direct anterior approach given the fast recovery time.
Right leg – Cormet hip resurfacing – Direct Anterior approach – Dr. Stefan Kreuzer
Houston, TX – December 10, 2008

Big Bill

Re: Hip Resurfacing - Two Years Later!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 12:31:57 PM »
Hey Steve ....long time...Big Bill here....I concur with the statements about your experience !

....Not only about the Cormet device, the approach,Dr. Kreuzer and getting our active lifestyle back...I just had my 2 year back in July and Dr.Kreuzers' research team,headed by Dr.Kumar,were very happy of my results. More individuals need to be aware of the Direct Anterior approach, along with Dr. Kreuzer and the fine hospitals and medical facilities here in Houston, Texas! I also had the numbness as you stated, but is not to the degree it once was. Glad to see your post and to hear of your sucess with resurfacing!!! Stay in touch !

Big Bill,  aka  C.A.S.H.   Cormet Anterior Surface Hippy   8)

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 04:27:01 PM »
Congrats on the 3rd place finish Steve! Keep up the good work.

take care,

spencer

pc

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 08:06:29 PM »
Congrats on your recovery. I had my hip resurfaced almost ten weeks ago using the tradition posterior approach. While I can't compare one procedure over another, I can say that recovery results probably have more to do with conditioning both prior to the surgery, as well as activity level post. surgery. I was in top physical condition leading up to the surgery which gave me the strength, conditioning, and mental attitude to be aggressive after surgery. Post surgery, I took no pain medication and within a few weeks (4) I was walking up to 6 miles daily as well as cycling up to an hour a day on the stationary bike at a fairly intense resistance level.

Today I walked (10 miles) at pace which was close to a jog. In fact I could run if I was given the go ahead from the doctor. My range of motion is more than prior to the surgery. I can put on socks and lace shoes with no problems. Today I clipped my toenails with very mild tightness. I even touched my toes from a standing position. I can't recall when the last time I was able to do that. I am riding my mountain bike and stationary bike without concern to resistance level. I haven't attacked the mountain because I am somewhat nervous about taking a fall. I do ride full out on the rolling hills surrounding Park City. Around the incision (10 inches) I have full feeling and really don't notice the area where I was cut. I will admit that I experienced more tightness in the beginning, but worked diligently on a daily basis stretching. Like you I have forgone any PT work. In fact, my doctor advised that most active people can do well by doing daily walks and stretches. It was my choice.

Like you many of us have lived a wonderful life of competitive activities. Mine was running and my hope is I will return to my love within the next few months. I appreciate your passion of your experience with your surgeon and his approach, but I think that people (at least I did) spend too much time looking for utopia regarding procedures and surgeons. In my mind I wasted a full year comparing this doctor vs. that doctor, do it in the states or abroad, this approach vs. that approach. Don't get me wrong, I highly recommend taking the operation seriously and by all means become educated prior to making a decision.   

I would recommend finding a surgeon with great experience, regardless of their operating procedure. Next make sure that you are at the top of your physical conditioning prior to surgery. Lastly, work hard rehabilitating. The result will come quickly! Once again congrats with your success and hopefully at two years I can post a two year message similar announcing new hardware around my neck from winning my division at a running event.

sgoulet

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 02:41:49 PM »
Hey Big Bill!  Glad you are also doing very well!  It's been a long time since we have talked.  It is easy to lose touch once you start feeling better.  I, too, had a good report from Dr. Kumar!  - Steve

Spencer: Thanks for the congrats!  I enjoy cycling and competing and it is the best thing I have found to keep myself in good shape!  Hope all is well.  Still want to come to Tucson to do some epic riding with you!  - Steve

PC: Thanks for the words of wisdom. While the surgery and physician worked well for me, everyone is dfifferent, and I, by no means, am steering people in any one direction.  I am just happy to be pain free again and doing the things that I like to do.  Let me ask one question of you. What has your doctor said about running (in your case, competitively?).  My doctor says that I can run, but would rather that I didn't given the chance that it may cause premature wear and tear on the impant.  At the most, I want to do some triathlons, with minimal run training, but would like to run at least a 13.1 as part of a half ironman distance event.  I think that as long as I am not putting in 30+ miles a week of "training" on the run, I should be ok.  Of course, I'll be averaging 8:30 per mile versus a lower number without training, but hope to make up the difference on the bike  :) - Steve
Right leg – Cormet hip resurfacing – Direct Anterior approach – Dr. Stefan Kreuzer
Houston, TX – December 10, 2008

Luann

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 09:22:44 PM »
Congrats, Steve, and thank you for letting us all know how you are doing. Too many hippies do not check in often enough!  Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 06:24:14 PM »
Hey Steve,

Come out to Tucson anytime. Mt Lemmon is epic and I have some secret hills that no one in their right mind rides.

best,

spencer

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat