+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Steve, newbie bilateral, two months from today.  (Read 1624 times)

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
Steve, newbie bilateral, two months from today.
« on: November 12, 2010, 10:46:29 PM »
Hello everyone! Now it's down to two months to go. January 12, 2011, I will be in Columbia, S.C. with two new hips. I can't wait to get on with it. It's starting to get a little scary when I think about it, but I don't want to go on with this pain and restriction on my active lifestyle (former active lifestyle). Can't stand it! I limp and hurt all the time :(. I'll really look forward to Spring after this winter! ;D 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:53:04 PM by newdog »
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

powderhippy

Re: Steve, newbie bilateral, two months from today.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 11:16:04 PM »
Steve...Rest easy. You are in the best of hands with Dr. G and Lee. All that pain will be a distant memory this time next year. You'll be seeking out anyplace to walk, as the pleasure of just walking will be a delight.
As a bi-lat myself, you won't find any difference with your new hips. BUT, follow Dr. G's program to a T...His success rate is not a fluke. You may feel like you can do things earlier, but listen to what he says thru those first 6 months. July 4th will be more for you then just celebrating our nation's birth...!   Give a big hello to Dr. G, Lee and Nancy for me.
Best, Shelly Perlmutter
Dr. Gross/Lee Webb  Left hip 9/6/06 cement,  Right hip 6/23/10 uncemented

double trouble

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 07:17:26 PM »
You will be surprised how quickly the 2 months will pass. I am 6 weeks out of surgery for Bilateral BHR. Although still using Lobster Crutches, driving my manual transmission car for 2 weeks and started walking a few steps unassisted yesterday.
Started a strong outpatient PT program 3x/week for about 2.5 weeks ago, which I highly recommend as it has helped my progress greatly.
But as newdog recommend follow doctors instructions and do not overdo anything early in your recovery.
Best Wishes

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 09:30:50 PM »
Thanks powderhippy and double trouble. The support and positive feedback mean a lot. When my surgeries are over I want to help others on this site too. I am focusing on thinking about  lots of long walks and hikes next year. Shelly, I will give a hello for you! ;D
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

TMoney

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 03:23:12 AM »
I am six weeks out from a LBHR - tremendous early results. Progressing well in therapy, lost a many years old limp & am back to my old self. Didn't realize the ripple effect of chronic pain leading to less activity on my psyche. My wife remarks she has her old husband back again.
Have to say I got a little nervous in the weeks leading up to it (them actually) - had a L carpal tunnel release, & a piece of hardware removed from R clavicle from a prior injury. Would suggest getting a script for ambien or lunesta for those preop jitters - I tossed & turned my last preop week & was exhausted.
Good luck!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 09:29:22 AM »
Hi Tony

Glad to hear you are doing well.  People don't realize how much pain and inactivity react on their bodies and personality.  I am glad you are feeling better.  It is nice your wife has her old husband back!  Enjoy that new hip and take it easy during your early recovery.  Have fun!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Gino

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 11:43:08 AM »
For pre-op anxiety my regular doc prescribed a short course of Xanax. Worked like a charm.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear