+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Finally on the other side!  (Read 1694 times)

ReneeP

Finally on the other side!
« on: November 13, 2010, 10:33:31 AM »
I had my right BHR on Monday, and all went very well.  My surgeon said it was a classic, textbook case and it went as well as they could have wanted.  I came home on Thursday, walking on a cane.  I've been off of pain meds since Wednesday, although the muscles are still pretty sore.  I still have a lot of tightness...I think because of the swelling.  So, I've been icing a lot.  I also still have a bit of a foggy brain and I'm really tired, so I haven't walked far...just around the house a little.  PT is coming out to the house on Monday or Tuesday,and I am looking forward to getting back to normal.

Did anyone else feel like their leg was longer after their resurfacing???

Renee
Right BHR
11/8/10
Dr. John Keggi
Renee

Right BHR 11/8/10
revised to THR 12/13/10
Dr. John Keggi

John C

Re: Finally on the other side!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 01:52:01 PM »
You will find a number of posts on this forum from people who have felt that their leg is longer. In many cases, it is just a temporary feeling, and goes away with time. In my case, my surgeon places a pin in the bone during surgery in order to get exact measurements, and mine came out longer by 4mm, which is a small enough amount that it has proved not to be a problem at all, though I did feel it at first. There are some threads on here from people that have had larger differences that needed to be compensated for, through things like shoe lifts. Some surgeons take measurements during surgery, and can give you an exact measurement, so this is worth asking about if it concerns you.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

ReneeP

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 07:44:02 PM »
Thanks,John.  After I posted, I did find a number of posts about leg length. I'll give it some time before I worry about it...sounds like it could resolve as I recover.
Renee

Right BHR 11/8/10
revised to THR 12/13/10
Dr. John Keggi

jjmclain

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 07:46:16 PM »
Hi Renee.

I had a Left BHR Thursday with Dr. Andy Engh and all went well, so I am on the other side too! I came home today, Saturday. If I had wanted to I could have gone home after one day, but I wanted to make sure I had all of the necessary PT in the hospital. I was at the Mt. Vernon Inova Joint Replacement Center and I was treated like a Queen! I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

I too have tightness and swelling, including bloating in my non-operated leg and in other parts of my body. I always get that from surgery and the IVs. The operated leg will be swollen with some bruising and tightness for awhile. I have to say all of the pain I had before surgery is gone!!!! I feel about 10 years younger.

I came home on crutches (I have a 50% weight bearing limitation) and am walking great with them. I am so excited I received a BHR because I am a small woman and I had some cysts, but my bones were strong and he had no problems with the surgery. I was worried beforehand that I'd have to get a THR.

Good luck with your recovery!

June

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat