+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Prolotherapy?  (Read 1381 times)

BerkeleyGirl

Prolotherapy?
« on: November 14, 2010, 03:29:46 PM »
A friend who was told he had to have knee surgery for "bone on bone" arthritis tried prolotherapy and it solved the problem after several injections. This treatment involves an injection of dextrose (sugar water, essentially) in the joint to slightly irritate it and trigger the body's response of growing more tissue; the theory seems essentially homeopathic. It's been written about in genuine medical journals, but most MDs don't endorse it. Proponents say that's because it's almost too simple a "cure" for a complicated problem. (I don't know about that, but....)

My doc's website says that since prolotherapy only stimulates growth in tendons and ligaments, it's not suitable for advanced hip osteoarthritis.

The prolotherapy people say it's most effective for knee, shoulder, neck and spine joints -- much smaller joints than hips -- but they also claim success with hips. Given the huge deal that joint replacement surgery (whether HR or THR) is for the rest of our lives, I'm wondering if it's worth a try. Has anyone attempted this? I realize that since this is a hip resurfacing site, most of us have had the resurfacing... but do you have any intel?

NewTurn

• L-BHR Nov 2009. Soon R
Re: Prolotherapy?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 01:55:54 PM »
Hi BerkeleyGirl,

I tried a few alternative therapy options and prolotherapy was one of them.  I did it for 6mos and it provided very little relief, if any.  It was probably more of the placebo effect.  Looking back I would say it is a complete waste of time and money, and having the injections was definitely not fun.  I am 1yr post op LBHR and feel great and have absolutely no regrets.  I am now looking into doing my R hip, and I am not even thinking about prolotherapy.

Prolotherapy cannot make cartilage grow.  I agree it can probably help with ligaments and tendons.  But if you are bone on bone, I believe prolotherapy is not the way to go.  At least that was my experience.

Thanks,
New Turn 

BerkeleyGirl

Re: Prolotherapy?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 02:00:05 AM »
Thanks, New Turn. That was my sense. Surgery is such a big deal that I wanted to consider all options. I appreciate you sharing your experience. I probably won't bother trying prolotherapy.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat