+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: wierd symptoms??  (Read 1706 times)

arc1

wierd symptoms??
« on: November 18, 2010, 03:50:41 PM »
To reintroduce myself, I've been told that it's a question of time before I need a resurf/replacement.

While walking my dog today I was able to differentiate symptoms a bit, and came to an odd conclusion. As I've posted here before, the thing that gives me the most trouble is walking. I can ride my bike 100 miles, but can't walk 2. Today I noticed that what I was feeling was not so much a direct, bone on bone kind of grinding pain, but that things were just kind of shutting down. My legs start to feel numb and sort of lose power, and there is refered pain down my leg(s). I can certainly feel a specific pain/stiffness in my hip, but the worst part seems to be the referred stuff.

I have an appt to revisit my doc (Keggi) in a few weeks. Is this wierd, or familiar to you folks ??? 

mickoc19

Re: wierd symptoms??
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 05:10:08 PM »
I also had no pain in hips.  I was a runner, been running for 30 years and over the past 4 years or so all my pain was referred to my groin.  Gradually got worse until I had to stop running.  Walked with a limp.  Couldn't put my sock on, tie my shoe lace  and struggled to get in and out of the car.  The last thing I thought I needed was a hip resurfacing, but x-rays showed I was bone and bone.  8 weeks post op now - walking with no limp and finally able to tie shoelaces!  Back to work next week.  Certainly recommend the op.

Mick

ReneeP

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 07:46:31 PM »
I was just resurfaced by Dr. Keggi last week.  For the past few months before surgery,  my hip pain referred to my knee and it was worse than any hip pain I ever had.  It's gone now. :)  I have a friend who had a THR last January, and she had more pain in her knee than in her hip.  I think it's pretty common to have referred pain,and other odd sensations.

Renee
RBHR 11/8/10
Dr.John Keggi
Renee

Right BHR 11/8/10
revised to THR 12/13/10
Dr. John Keggi

bothdone

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 08:53:56 AM »
I agree with the previous posts.  The worst pain for me was down the outside of my thigh.   Before my first BHR I had a very severe limp which I didn't realise was so bad until I saw myself walking on a video - horrendous.  I had the second BHR at an earlier point.

Hope all goes well.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

resurface

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 04:18:33 AM »
Same as everyone else with the referred pain: IT band, knee, even between the tibia and fibula.  Came and went.  Like you, I could go for a 100 mile bike ride with no issues.  I can tell you immediately after surgery almost all the referred pain was gone.  Good luck... your just like the rest of us. 

RobB

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 12:03:48 AM »
Yep, as the others said, the referred pain can at times be worse than the hip itself. For me it was a slow aching throbbing in the knee that was just unbearable. I also sometimes had odd, uncomfortable sensations down my shin, and occasional burning around the ankle. Basic (A/P view) x-rays always showed a little bit of cartilage remaining in the hip joint. It didn't appear to be bone on bone, but it felt like that to me. When Dr. Bose got in there during surgery (one month ago), even he was surprised to find that around on the back side of the femur, not shown on the x-rays, the cartilage was gone. What I felt was happening (cartilage gone) was correct, and it hurt like hell.

Rob

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal