+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Post op knee pain  (Read 3096 times)

ReneeP

Post op knee pain
« on: November 23, 2010, 09:28:15 PM »
I'm 15 days post op from a right BHR.  I'm very happy with how I'm progressing.  I can walk with no limp until I get fatigued, and I started driving today with no problems.  The one thing that has bothered me since surgery is that my knee is so achy, and the right side (outside) still feels incredibly bruised.  I wasn't really expecting knee pain, but it's actually bothered me far more than any post op hip pain.  I made the mistake of walking around Target tonight, and it really made my knee ache.  I'm taking tylenol and ultram for the pain.  Has anyone else had this knee discomfort?  How long did it last?

Renee
Renee

Right BHR 11/8/10
revised to THR 12/13/10
Dr. John Keggi

JD Shelnut

Re: Post op knee pain
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 03:07:20 PM »
Sounds like you had surgery on the 8th. My BHR (left) was on the 10th. I came out of the gate flying, with four days of walker, then cane, now off cane around the house. I know the pain you're talking about. I understand it to be a byproduct of both the physical trauma sustained to the leg during the procedure itself and the reaction to all the blood in various parts of the leg. That blood and trauma causes the bruising, which results in that pain and tenderness underneath the knee and along the IT band, etc.

My main symptom now, aside from the obvious stiffness, is being just plain tired. I feel like I am a zombie pretty much everyday. Plan on a total of 4 1/2 weeks off of work too. What about you and energy and return to work status?

ReneeP

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 09:00:45 AM »
Thanks for replying!  My energy is coming back, but I'm still pretty darn tired at the end of the day.  The knee pain is slowly improving, but it's still pretty achy at night.  My plan is to go back on December 6th to work, but I'm not sure I'll have the stamina to last all day.  I work in a school and I walk a lot and I'm on my feet a lot.  I can sit frequently, too, though.  I have enough sick time to take another week after that if I want to, but then I'll have nothing left for the rest of the school year.  I have my 3 week check-up on Monday, so I'll ask the PA what he/she thinks about going back to work.

Renee
Renee

Right BHR 11/8/10
revised to THR 12/13/10
Dr. John Keggi

JD Shelnut

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 07:08:25 AM »
Your PA will most likely tell you to do what you feel like. There appears to be a wide gulf of recovery speeds, and the PAs, therefore, stay pretty flexible in the recommendations. I know you are cautious not to drain all of your sick leave. I wouldn't push it though. I have heard so many people reitterate the importance of not going back or pushing too soon. Storming back into life too quick can have long term effects. Will you accrue some new sick days after the new year?

I think I am going to drain down to the 13th. I do have a few days leftover beyond that, but not too many. I just know that I don't have the "get up and go" mentally or physically to endure the rigor of middle school teaching right now!

ReneeP

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 10:44:37 AM »
Our sick time starts at the beginning of the school year.  So once it's gone, I don't get any back until next fall.  However, my husband has a serious, long term illness and I'm going to apply for family/medical leave so I can take days to help him when necessary.  I can always use a couple of those if I get sick or if one of my kids gets sick.  I'm also looking for a new job, although that's not happening very fast in this economy.
Renee

Right BHR 11/8/10
revised to THR 12/13/10
Dr. John Keggi

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 05:22:24 AM »
I had the knee pain as well, a dull ache made worse by rubbing it, lasted about 3-4 weeks.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 03:58:18 PM »
It is very common to have knee pain, unoperated hip pain, back pain and even shoulder pain.  The body is completely out of balance while trying to recover.  You have been out of balance for a long time with the bad hip and now you have had surgery.  All of your body is trying to compenstate for the surgery to your body and the new hip.  Give yourself plenty of time to heal and eventually, most other pains will go away.  Sometimes it takes 6 months or a year.  Depends on how long your hip has been bad and how bad it was.

Take it easy.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Cutter3

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 04:46:48 PM »
Renee - I'm now 9 weeks post-op and am also having knee issues, more than likely, as others have said, due to compensating on a bad hip for so long.   Mine was internal pain, not like a bruising or anything external, but like my knee is out of alignment.   I went to the drug store and purchased a knee brace (the neoprene type - cost under $20) to wear during the day, and the situation has improved dramatically over the last week.   Might be something to try.

jjmclain

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 05:52:11 PM »
I had a LBHR on November 11th...3 weeks ago tomorrow. I too have experienced pain in my leg, foot, behind the knee, tenderness, etc. and lots of bruising on my leg. The pain seems to be after I have been sitting or laying down. To get relief, I walk around and move about!!! My husband even massages my foot for me when it is screaming in pain!!! Sleeping at night for now has been quite a problem for me. It seems as if it is the pressure of laying or sitting that causes it. However, during the day, or if I am up, no pain whatsoever, and I have no problems walking a couple of miles with my crutches. Even when I get that numbness, throbbing pain in my leg (it moves around!), the hip and leg still feel strong and I feel as if I could walk without crutches no problem and stand on the operated leg by itself. (I am limited to 50% weightbearing until tomorrow).

Anyway, I went to my surgeon today just to make sure everything is okay. They took several x-rays and moved my hip and leg into all kinds of positions (no pain whatsoever) and the hip looks great! They seem to think the pain I am getting is due to swelling pressing on the nerves in my leg as well as all of the brusing I have down the back of the leg from the surgery. Due to my being an athlete, he said I have pretty dense muscle tissue and they have to pry that open during the surgery, etc. Ick...I don't want to even think about all of that!

As Pat always says, it takes time to heal. My doctor said that as well. He prescribed Lyrica, which is a nerve pain, and wants me to try that for a week. I go back on December 10th for my 4 week follow-up and if the Lyrica doesn't help, of course I am to stop it.
 I will let you know if that brings relief.

ReneeP

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 06:37:56 PM »
I am happy to report that the knee pain has pretty much disappeared this week (week3).  Now I'm dealing with groin pain, but even that is slowly improving.
Renee

Right BHR 11/8/10
revised to THR 12/13/10
Dr. John Keggi

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 09:49:03 AM »
Glad to hear it, in the first month you get all kinds of weird sensations; I had a headache for three weeks while my neck got used to its new position as a result of my leg length being corrected. Posture is a lot better than it used to be.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear