+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Man am I stiff  (Read 2371 times)

EMP

Man am I stiff
« on: November 24, 2010, 08:42:05 PM »
I'm in my 5th week of post op from bilateral BHR and I'm very stiff.  I'm doing the home exercises they gave me and just started PT, but I'm wondering from others how long it took to get your ROM back so you can put your socks on and tie your shoes?  Also any particular exercises or activities that can speed up recovery?  Thanks!

double trouble

Re: Man am I stiff
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 11:32:15 PM »
I am in week 8 of bilateral BHR. At week 5 I also was very stiff. I started outpatient PT 3x/wk at week 4 and it took 2 weeks and I started to see improvement. The improvement is measured by the week not by the day.
I still use the sock puller to get the socks on but can pull the socks from my ankle with my hands, if something falls to the floor I can pick it up the my hand.
In a week or two you will start seeing improvements but I found its a slow process, others seem to progress somewhat quicker but don't be discouraged you are not alone in your progress, attend your PT regularly and don't try to overdo anything you will see the progress soon
I still use crutches outside but can walk unassisted in the house for short distances gait is great but I concentrate on proper form, again not overdoing anything.

wayne-0

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 01:27:22 AM »
I am 2 yrs post op from my bi-lateral surgery and at week 5 still very stiff, don't worry about it. You will get better give it time. What helped me the most was aqua therapy. Getting in a 90 degree pool and doing my exercises really changed everything for me.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

EMP

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 09:15:10 PM »
Thanks for the feedback - I guess I just need to follow protocol and be patient................

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 09:21:30 AM »
I only had one side done but I noticed a huge change at about 6 1/2 weeks. I was very strict with the rehab exercises though, you have to work to get the range of motion back.
Good Luck. G

halfdone

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 09:46:49 AM »
I completely agree with Wayne.  Aqua/Pool therapy is very helpful if you can find a place to do it.  My ROM improved slowly but steadily with PT - even into the second year post op.  Well done for braving the bi-lat! Good luck.  HD

JD Shelnut

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 12:35:37 PM »
What is bilateral BHR as opposed to the standard BHR?

wayne-0

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 02:16:59 PM »
Bi-lateral is having both hips done as compared to only one side. Some of us had both hips done on the same day and some have the second one done on a later date. I was able to get mine done on the same day thus only having one rehab. I would think that rehab is a little tougher getting them both done on the same day. Looking back It never really seemed to be all that tough because i think i was very determined to get better and be able to live life again. I think the hardest part was the first 5-8 days getting out of bed, going to the bathroom, and taking a shower. I had a great helper the first couple of weeks that really took care of me.
Keep up the good work.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat