+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hypertension from Pain?  (Read 1463 times)

Tin Soldier

Hypertension from Pain?
« on: November 29, 2010, 03:37:26 PM »
I've got bi-lateral OA from impingement.  I'm a 41 year old male and my blood pressure has slowly increased in the last 5 years, which is consistent with the slow increase in pain over the last 5 years.  I was pre-hypertensive prior to finding out about this problem about a year ago.  Doc labelled it esssential hypertention.  Ok, I can sort of buy that.  I don't really feel stressed out all the time, though.  Now, every so often, I'll be in the hypertensive zone (>140/>90).  Certainly there are many other factors that add to one's BP.  For several weeks, after a cortizone shot I felt like I was high all the time.  High on life, I felt great.  I should have checked my BP during that period, didn't.  I was thinking it was probably lower simply because of the reduced pain.  I think I'm a fairly pain-tolerant individual, but maybe constant small doses of pain from tying shoes, getting in and out of the car, walking up stairs, bending over,... is adding up.

Granted, reduced pain will indirectly reduce BP.  On the flip side, FAI or pain in your hips will reduce exercise, thereby increasing BP.  Throw in a little depression with coming to terms that you will need news hips at the ripe old age of 41 and,... yeah, I know.  It's probably all related and it seems quite possible that my hypertension is indirectly related to FAI and pain.

Anyone out there notice a decent sustained drop in BP after getting new hips/RS? 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

jjmclain

Re: Hypertension from Pain?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 06:39:34 PM »
I was told that swelling and pain can increase blood pressure. I have chronic hypertension...it is hereditary, no other cause as I am an athlete. However, on medication it has remained low. That is until the last 6 months as my hip got progressively worse...I saw a slight increase in my BP. Right after surgery a couple of weeks ago, my BP was low. When I came home from the hospital when a lot of the swelling started and I didn't feel great for a day or two, my BP was high! As the swelling went down and I felt better, my BP is low again or back to normal.

Not sure if this is medically correct or not. Just what happened to me and what I was told! I can't even remember who told me.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 11:28:26 AM »
Thanks - seems reasonable.  I noticed that I tend to hold my breath and tense up a bit right before tying my shoes, bedning over, or sitting down or getting up.  I think it's unconscious anticipation of the of pain I'm going to receive when doing that action.  I'll have to be more Zen-like and exhale as I go forth.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

jjmclain

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 11:43:56 AM »
Holding  your breath does increase blood pressure! I am a fitness instructor and personal trainer and I always make sure my clients breathe! If you can't exhale properly, count to yourself. That always works.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear