+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Travelling for Surgery - Suggestions / Ideas... First class tickets???  (Read 2548 times)

23109VC

I'm going to be travelling from San Diego to South Carolina to see Dr. Gross for my surgery.

I'm already thinking about the travel... Flying in will be no problem.  But I was wondering about any issues while flying out after the surgery.  I'll be one of those "handicapped" people who get to board first.. :)  will sitting in a coach seat drive my hip nuts and shoudl I pay for a first class ticket.. or am I being overly cautious about the pain / discomfort I might be in while travelling??

The most extreme surgery I've ever had was a hernia operation...and I only had a 15 minute ride home from that one...  this will be my first "big" surgery and I will have quite a commute home... :)

any other suggestions or ideas that I may not anticipate?  those of you who travelled for your surgery may be able to help me out with things that perhaps never dawned on you when you went..but now that you've "been there done that" you would be able to give some invaluable advice that will make my adventure a bit easier..

thanks.
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

jodieshane

Re: Travelling for Surgery - Suggestions / Ideas... First class tickets???
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 05:57:08 AM »
I'm heading there in Feb. My wife found out that gettting an additional seat in coach would be cheaper. We're thinking it would allow enough room for the "ice machine"...

Lopsided

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 06:15:31 AM »
Big seats make a difference. I am not sure about fist class though, it depends on what you can afford.

The longer the flight the more comfort you want. I had a twelve hour long haul flight, and I chose an airline that had an inbetween class, bigger seats than economy, but not the luxury of business. The extra hip room and leg room made a big difference in comfort. The hostess was helpful in getting me ice for my ice pack regularly.

Although they allow you to get on the plane first, really you might want to get on last.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 06:47:15 AM »
We drove home 8 hours in a hyandai elantra the Sat following my surgery, I actually drove home 3-4 hours of the trip.  In the end it all depends on how well you do post op.

If you can get 1st class I would do it though, I am not saying I was comfortable and I paid for it the next day as I swelled up pretty good, I used the ice machine and elevated the next day and I was fine 24 hours later.

Make sure to make your wheelchair reservations early, don't try to crutch the airport you will be tired without having to crutch all over the airport.  Make sure to do the foot pumps you will be taught on your way home, be as active on the plane as your hip will allow you to be.

Many people have walked your path and everyone made it home albeit a little sore and a lot tired.

Chuck

I'm going to be travelling from San Diego to South Carolina to see Dr. Gross for my surgery.

I'm already thinking about the travel... Flying in will be no problem.  But I was wondering about any issues while flying out after the surgery.  I'll be one of those "handicapped" people who get to board first.. :)  will sitting in a coach seat drive my hip nuts and shoudl I pay for a first class ticket.. or am I being overly cautious about the pain / discomfort I might be in while travelling??

The most extreme surgery I've ever had was a hernia operation...and I only had a 15 minute ride home from that one...  this will be my first "big" surgery and I will have quite a commute home... :)

any other suggestions or ideas that I may not anticipate?  those of you who travelled for your surgery may be able to help me out with things that perhaps never dawned on you when you went..but now that you've "been there done that" you would be able to give some invaluable advice that will make my adventure a bit easier..

thanks.
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

jgenese

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 07:28:39 AM »
First of all good luck on your upcoming surgery. This was my first major surgery as well.
Usually when you have to fly under these circumstances you have to notify the airlines that you will need handicap boarding and they require a doctor's note. They will board you in bulkhead seating meaning you will be right up front with nobody in front of you. It will be easy for you to get up and stretch. Just remember to do your ankle pumps and butt squeezes during the flight. I would'nt waste my money on first class seats. Remember even though they're first class seats, they are still just seats. Call the airline. They are very helpful with these situations and once again, good luck to you!

JohnnyG

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 08:46:02 AM »
I flew from Belgium back to Ohio in the USA. It was an 8 1/2 hour flight.  I called United to set up my flight and told them I needed wheelchair assistance both ways.  I was getting a hip replacement.  I flew economy - sardine class - to Belgium.  They did, however, give me a free upgrade coming back to the bulkhead seats.  That was great since I could stand up in front of my seat every hour.  I also walked around the place to exercise.  The upgrade to the Bulkhead seat also allowed me to use the restroom in first class. That was very nice.

I would call the airline and talk with them.  I don't think they are always as nice, but it is worth a try.

You flight is about 4 hours, so that is not too bad. Be sure to get up and move around.  I did not fly until 9 days post op since I was overseas.  I am not sure what Dr. Gross recommends.  You definitely will stay close to the hospital for a few days.

I was lucky and did not have any swelling or bruising, but you do get tired of sitting in the seat.  I wore my TEDS and gave myself 2 herprin shots in the tummy at the airport before my flight.

Good Luck with your upcoming surgery.
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Gino

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 11:34:11 AM »
Take the train, see the beautiful country, avoid being sexually assaulted and/or irradiated at each airport there/back by the TSA goons, great large seats, walk around, go to the club car, snooze.....what's not to like?

23109VC

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 12:15:09 PM »
Gino-

I actually thought about taking the train or renting a van andn driving back and sightseeing. My wife is going with me she could drive. 

We decided to fly...we want to get back home soon.  We have three small kids and grandma/grandpa will be watching them while we are away for the surgery.  I will be gone about a week.... Taking another week or multiple days to come home on a train would be more time away from the kids.

I called m airline - us air, and they said i would automatically be reassigned to bulkhead seating due to my hip surgery.  I have sat in that area before, as I remember the seat is a regular coach seat but with a substantially larger amount of legroom.

I would think that having bulkhead seating would be sufficient?
Sean

obxpelican

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 04:29:11 PM »
You will do fine in those seats, it's having to do the major leg bend that would have been a pain in the butt (sorry for the pun).

You will be taught how to sit back when you go to SC, it's basically kicking your operated leg out and kind of laying back so you don't break the 90 degree rule.

BTW: I was a really bad patient as I broke that 90 degree rule MANY times.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

23109VC

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 01:43:28 AM »
I do that now!!!  There are times when bending to 90 degrees hurts, so I sit with my bad leg straightened out.....

Thanks!  I'm sure the flight back will be fine. 
Sean

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM