+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Taking supplements before surgery (women)  (Read 1916 times)

LMS

Taking supplements before surgery (women)
« on: December 04, 2010, 09:00:12 PM »
I was wondering if there is any benefit to taking supplements such as a multi vitamin, or calcium/magnesium/vit c (I think it's c...), iron a month (or more) before going into surgery?

thanx
Lynne

Luann

Re: Taking supplements before surgery (women)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 09:06:17 PM »
If I remember correctly, I was told to take an iron supplement (not just a regular one, but a special kind of iron... can't remember the chemical name) a month before sx. If you have already scheduled yours, ask your Dr. It helps boost the oxygen carrying ability of your blood. Do ask your Dr first, though. Good luck, Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 09:53:09 PM »
Check with your doctor if you could take calcium too.   I did vitamin C post op which is supposed to help with healing.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

jjmclain

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 05:10:06 AM »
There are certain supplements like glucosamine/chondroitin and fish oil, etc. that they have you stop before surgery as well as I think NSAIDS. I was allowed to continue to take my calcium/Vitamin D supplement and was put on Vitron C (Iron with Vitamin C) because I had donated my own blood which they gave back to me after surgery. I am still on the Vitron C for another week. I am 3 weeks post-op.

Every doctor has a different protocol so just ask your surgeon.

LMS

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 10:51:31 AM »
I figured the more time before hand would help to build up bones, etc would be an added bonus since women are already compromised with possible deficiencies.

I had a new copper IUD put in approx 3 weeks ago & I'm still bleeding. So this is another worry for me. (My GP wants to see me in 2 weeks if it hasn't stopped) Good thing I'm seeing the surgeon on Tuesday. 

I remember when I asked him about chondroitin/glucosamine supplements back in 2006, 1yr before my scope, he told me not to bother with them, that in his opinion they wouldn't be of much benefit to me but if I wanted to take some, I could.  But I'm being suggested by well meaning clients (in the health trade) that I really should be taking the calcium/magnesium/vit D, B6, C & iron supplements.  I used to have to take these & B12 years ago because I tended to be deficient but latest blood tests for the past 3 yrs showed normal levels (I had been told to stop back then).

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat