+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Curious after a fall  (Read 2550 times)

littleb

Curious after a fall
« on: December 05, 2010, 02:30:12 PM »
I'm at 3+ months and last week I took a fall in the rain. Unoperated side knee gave out, I landed on it with operated leg going straight out in front of me, full weaight of the rest of me handing forward over the operated leg. Definately passed the 90 degree mark. I got up and walked away, couldn't have broken anything but boy did I over stretch those poor healing muscles. Still hurts a lot and I of course have started to wonder, is it possible the cup could have shifted at all? It was a lot of force. I may be just a worry wart but I'm thinking I may call Dr. Su tomorrow.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

obxpelican

Re: Curious after a fall
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
Just an opinion.

I've fallen hard on my operated hip 3 times, the first time was late fall post-op after my Aug surgery, everything held up fine.

Again, my opinion, your cup is deep in your body in your pelvis I personally think you had a better chance of a neck fracture than you would a cup slip, cup slips are more than likely the result of a surgical mistake.

Ice, anti inflamatory meds like advil if you are allowed and rest.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

littleb

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 01:24:35 PM »
I spoke to Dr. Su's office last week and they felt if I was able to walk without searing pain then it was probably the muscles that were injured and I should take it easy. Well it's almost 2 weeks now and tthough the quad pain is gone I still am having pain around the join that reminds me of the pain I had prior to HR. I am going to call again tomorrow.

Chuck, did you have this lingering pain? Did you go in to the doctor or just talk on the phone? I didn't actually fall on the hip, more of a split forward.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

andybc

• Right BHR November 25 2010 Sarah Muirhead-Allwood
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 10:05:05 AM »
Well, they're probably right but I think it would be worth considering an X Ray just to check all is well.

Andy

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 10:43:17 AM »
I spoke to Dr. Su's office last week and they felt if I was able to walk without searing pain then it was probably the muscles that were injured and I should take it easy. Well it's almost 2 weeks now and tthough the quad pain is gone I still am having pain around the join that reminds me of the pain I had prior to HR. I am going to call again tomorrow.

Chuck, did you have this lingering pain? Did you go in to the doctor or just talk on the phone? I didn't actually fall on the hip, more of a split forward.

I had a lot of pain from the bruising, none from around the hip joint that I could tell.  I would really be surprised if it was your cup, fracture of the femral head is always a possibility though. Your first 6 months is when you are most likely to have a fracture.  

If you are still feeling a lot of pain I would ask for a script for an x-ray, what can it hurt, and it will make u feel better if it turns out to be nothing.

Just my opinion.

Chuck
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 11:43:48 AM by obxpelican »
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

donnawarrick

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 08:00:20 AM »
Hi I also took a hard fall exactly three months after surgery.  I landed on a door jam on both knees, and felt myself turning to avoid my left hip.  Instead I banged my right hip and low back on the door post.  I thought I was okay, then started having panic attacks about something going wrong or being loose, etc.  I had a horrible week worrying about it and the pain I was having in both knees and right hip and low back.  So I called my doctor, told him what happened, scheduled and appointment and had x-rays of everything.  The relief of knowing for sure that everything was still okay was like a breath of fresh air.  Give yourself the gift of NOT worrying about it.  Love, Donna

johnmarken

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 05:32:20 PM »
I've taken quite a few tumbles post resurfacing surgery almost 3 years now. I took a pretty good slider 4 months post surgery biking probably 20mhp on the replaced  side. Hip hurt, shoulder hurt, hand bloody and I was scared. I was able to get back on and finish the last 20miles to the car. I called the doc later in the week to see if I should come in. The response was if I could walk I was likely fine. I'd had a difficult recovery prior due to groin/psoas pain which took a good year and yoga to resolve. But the fall, and other falls and dings biking, climbing etc hasn't seemed to affect the hip specifically much if any. Probably should still try to avoid such:>)

larry2458

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 04:45:12 AM »
I've taken quite a few tumbles post resurfacing surgery almost 3 years now. I took a pretty good slider 4 months post surgery biking probably 20mhp on the replaced  side. Hip hurt, shoulder hurt, hand bloody and I was scared. I was able to get back on and finish the last 20miles to the car. I called the doc later in the week to see if I should come in. The response was if I could walk I was likely fine. I'd had a difficult recovery prior due to groin/psoas pain which took a good year and yoga to resolve. But the fall, and other falls and dings biking, climbing etc hasn't seemed to affect the hip specifically much if any. Probably should still try to avoid such:>)
i've had a few offs from my bikes too, as well as falls.the last bike related fall was hard enough to break 2 ribs on the replaced side.normally i would check my hip first but that fall hurt my breathing so much i didn't bother.
as you say, its best to avoid falling, but..............
lbmh 16th october 2008

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat