+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: My femoral neck is fractured---getting THR on Monday  (Read 3074 times)

ReneeP

My femoral neck is fractured---getting THR on Monday
« on: December 09, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
After a week and a half of groin pain, and a trip to the doctor yesterday where the PA diagnosed tendonitis, I got a call back today saying the surgeon looked at the x-rays taken yesterday and my femoral neck is partially fractured.  The PA told me yesterday there was a spot on the x-ray she was concerned about and would have the surgeon look at when he came in today.  I am incredibly upset and disappointed...I've followed all the post op rules, and was finally past the initial recovery period and feeling better.  I knew this was a risk going into the resurfacing surgery,but I never thought it would happen to me.  I am now on crutches with NO weight bearing until Monday.  If I had known this would happen, I would have waited to have any surgery, but I just had such high hopes for a resurfacing.  I guess it's easy to say after this happens.

Renee
Renee

Right BHR 11/8/10
revised to THR 12/13/10
Dr. John Keggi

andybc

• Right BHR November 25 2010 Sarah Muirhead-Allwood
Re: My femoral neck is fractured---getting THR on Monday
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 02:38:08 PM »
I am so, so sorry to hear this, Renee. What rotten luck.

The thr will sort you out, without any question. As you know, the failure rate is lower than for resurfacing and it's one of the best of all operations ever devised.

I will be thinking of you during your recovery phase. Take it gently. Be a patient patient and you will feel like new before too long.

With best wishes.

Andy

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 05:00:34 PM »
Renee

I am very sorry to hear about your femur neck fracture.  We all think it won't happen to us, but unfortunately a few people do have problems.  I hope when you get your THR, the pain will dissapear and you can get on with your life.  A MOM THR is not a bad solution and hopefully will work well for you. Please keep us updated when you can.

Again, my heart goes out to you and I wish that no one ever had to face a revision, but sometimes it does happen.  Usually to the other person - we hope.  Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

jjmclain

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 09:22:17 PM »
Renee,

So sorry to hear this. I will be thinking of you. Good luck and I hope with the THR you will be pain free.

June

littleb

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 12:42:19 AM »
I am so sorry to hear this as well. Any idea how it happened? I fell about 10 days ago and I'm still having some groin pain but figured if I can walk, go up the stairs and get in and out of the car without crying I didn't break anything. I called the doctor and that was their feeling as well but I am delaying going back to PT since they told me to take it easy for a bit.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

ReneeP

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 09:51:50 AM »
I'm not sure what caused it.  I'm only 4 1/2 weeks post-op (the pain started at 3 weeks), and I've been doing everything the way I'm supposed to.  The PA basically said my femoral neck couldn't handle the stress.  I'm still in a bit of shock over this...I've talked to the ortho office twice and don't even know what to say or ask.  I can't talk about it without ending up in tears.  When I see the surgeon on Monday I plan on asking a lot of questions, and hopefully won't end up a blubbering baby.

I have to add that a couple of years ago I sent my x-rays to Dr. Bose and Dr. DeSmet.  Dr. DeSmet said I would be a good resurfacing candidate, and Dr. Bose said the neck of my femur is long and may not be conducive to resurfacing.  I guess he was right.  I just wanted it so badly and Dr. DeSmet thought it was okay and so did my surgeon, so I went for it.  I knew this was a possibility but I never really thought I'd be in that small percentage of people who have this problem.  I'm just REALLY dreading another surgery and recovery.  I'm also only 42 and now God only knows how many revisions I'll end up with in my life. But it is what it is and I have no choice, unfortunately.

Renee
Renee

Right BHR 11/8/10
revised to THR 12/13/10
Dr. John Keggi

toby

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 01:27:17 PM »
Renee,
Just want to express how sorry I feel about your situation.
I wish you all the best for Monday and hope that this new hip will be for life.
Toby
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

Luann

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 05:30:48 PM »
Hi Renee,
 I just wanted to say I cannot stop thinking about you since read this. I am so sorry you're having to go through this. You did the right thing, though, I do believe. I hope you do too. I told myself, If I have problems, no matter what, I will always be glad I tried HR first. Otherwise, I would have always wondered...
 My thoughts are with you. Good luck with your next new hip.  Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

revision

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 06:29:19 PM »
Hi Renee,

I had my right hip resurfaced in June 2009 and had a revision to a MoM Total Hip Replacement 5 months later in Nov 2009. I understand how you are feeling. I also had both my resurfacing and THR at the age of 42.

I was devasted, emotional,and worn out when I was told I had to have a revision to a THR. It took a lot out of me and I had to come to terms with this. I have 3 young kids and had a family to look after. I was also very active and thought this would be the end of activities and possibly work for me.

The good news is that I am 44 now and feel great. The THR works really well. I can do everything I want to do.

Renee, I know that this is a difficult time for you but please believe me that a THR is also a good solution. It is difficult to got through surgery and recovery again. Unfortunately we are in that small percentage where it doesn't work out.

I hope all goes well for you and I will be thinking of you.

Very best wishes

Revison

bothdone

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 06:48:02 PM »
Hi Renee

My heart goes out to you.  I can only imagine how devasting this is for you.  I hope your THR turns out well and meets your needs.

Good wishes to you.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

ReneeP

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 07:19:27 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I appreciate the words of support and the advice.  I keep wishing I would wake up from a bad dream.  I know a THR is still a good option, and I'll get through the next few weeks and eventually be back to a normal life. 

Does anyone know why this happens?  I followed all the rules, and have really taken it easy.  I can't believe it only lasted a few weeks.  The other stories I've read about fractures occurred months after the initial surgery.

Renee
Renee

Right BHR 11/8/10
revised to THR 12/13/10
Dr. John Keggi

obxpelican

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 07:59:30 PM »
I am also sorry to hear of your revision Renee.

Women, especially smaller women tend to fracture more often than men, there is probably a reason for it, might be due to the size difference. Up to 6 months everyone has much more chance to fracture.

A MOM THR is a very good replacement for your HR, you should not suffer from many limitations and the large MOMs do not tend to dislocate and large MOMs should last for a long time.

Godspeed be with you Renee.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 10:32:56 PM »
Sorry to hear about the fracture, Renee - All I've heard about the MOM THR says it's a very viable replacement. Again, sorry you have to go through this again.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal