+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How much time do I need to take off work? (desk job)  (Read 4793 times)

23109VC

How much time do I need to take off work? (desk job)
« on: December 09, 2010, 10:52:07 PM »
I'm going to have my left hip resurfaced in late Feb of 2011.

I haven't told my employer yet...but will soon.  I don't know how much time Ineed to take offf of work.  I know that WHAT you do will make a big immpact on the answer to that question.  I'm not in a job that requires physical labor... I'm a lawyer. I work at a desk a lot.. I do go to ccout so I'm not sitting "all" day..but I don't have to walk that far and can sit most of the tiem I woudl be in court... my job is pretty low stress in terms of physical activity.. so I would asssume I can get back to work faster than others who have jobs that require more physical activity.. but even though my job is "paper pushing"...  how long shoudl I give myself to be on the safe side before I go back?

Dr. Gross' info / staff  said that some patients in my type of work go back in as little as two weeks..seemed kind of fast to me..but maybe that is normal??  i understand that at two weeks I'd be on a walker or cane...which I could do... i'm jus wondering if most people go basck that fast or if they take off more like a month?

I have vacation/sick time so I can take2 weeks, 4 weeks, longer if I have to... but I don't wantto tell them 2 weeks when in reality I'm gone a month...

thanks!
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

Dayton96

Re: How much time do I need to take off work? (desk job)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 05:52:59 AM »
Good luck on your February surgery.  I'm scheduled to have my hip resurfaced by Dr. Gross in March.  I'll be interested to hear about your experiences.  I spend half my work time behind a desk and half my work time on my feet.  I could arrange my schedule to stay at my desk for a month or so after I return from surgery, but I really don't want to.  Instead, I told my employer that I would be off for the week of surgery (I'm driving to SC from OH) and six weeks after that.  Like you, I've heard the stories about amazing recoveries, but I have also heard stories about long recoveries where folks need the extra time to "get right" with their bodies and new hip.  I figure If I didn't need the entire time off I could just go back to work early with my cane and everyone would marvel at my speedy recovery.  I enjoyed reading your earlier posts on your decision process. 

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 08:46:24 AM »
Hi, I'm coming off my second resurfacing, the surgery was a week and a half ago. I had the first in August. My work is similar to yours - I'm a software engineer and spend at least 8 to 10 hours in front of  a computer per day.

I took 5 weeks after my first procedure, despite most people involved thinking that I had a great recovery. I think for me, that's the least I needed to let my body overcome the overall shock of major surgery, to get the most basic mobility, and to feel confident about my body.

I was on a single crutch within two weeks, driving within three, but I believe I needed more time to sit for long periods of time, to let the physical therapy make me stronger and more flexible and to mentally let me be back at full strength.

I am a type 1, charge ahead personality, but I figure that at least when you have a major procedure (as well as mine went, couldn't have been better), that you owe it to yourself, not your practice, your work or anyone else, to treat yourself well in this regard. I figured the projects can wait, this is something that will form the basis of your health for the next 20 years, surely I could spare five or six weeks to heal.

When I returned, I made sure I took time to walk every 15-20 minutes, even if it was to check with a colleague personally instead of emailing. It loosens your body and allows you to work longer. My advice is not to be a hero and think of yourself - at least 5 weeks.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 10:05:45 AM »
If that were me I would put down that I'll be off 3-4 weeks, that's doable, 2 weeks is doable if you have a fast recovery.  I could not have done 2 weeks, I was walking without a crutch @ day 13 around the house but I was still tired a lot after being up during the day a short time.

When you are healing your body is using a tremendous amount of energy.

Just my opinion, although we all are different.

Chuck

BTW here's my recovery journal.  http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=1055.msg6307#msg6307
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

BerkeleyGirl

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 02:59:00 AM »
Hi. I'm only 8 days post-op, so I don't know much, but I'll pass on what my surgeon, Dr. Gilbert (San Francisco), advised that could be relevant to your situation. He said the worst thing people do after resurfacing is sit in a regular chair. He said we should recline when not walking. I don't know if this is tissue healing, hip joint healing or blood clot avoidance, or maybe all three.

A couple days ago I tried sitting at my kitchen chair for 15 minutes or so, and I felt a kind of numbing in my lower legs, which made me nervous. I went to the sofa and put my legs up, which helped.

I too have a desk job. My main concern won't be getting to/from work but the length of time just sitting. I had my surgery on 12/10, and I'm scheduled to return to work half-time on Jan. 10; I've left open the possibility that this could be working from home. I'm supposed to return full-time as usual on Jan. 17. If sitting is still uncomfortable, I'll get one of those big plastic chair-balls, or rig some pillows and foot rests or something.

justal883

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 08:20:17 PM »
Good luck on your impending surgery. I had my right hip done on July 8 and went back to work part time (2 days a week) after the third week. I went back full time at the end of August. Even though I felt pretty good and my doctor (Dr. Su) said that my healing was off the charts, I felt that it was better to take it easy. So, what I am saying is that if I were you, being that you have a desk job and will be sitting for long periods of time, two months would be my guess. Sitting for long periods of time actually does feel worse than walking.
Again, good luck and welcome to the club.

23109VC

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 02:11:35 AM »
I sit at work a lot, but I have the ability to get up and walk around whenever I want.. I"m not tied to my chair...  what I do NOT have easy/ready access to at work is a bed or big couch... so sitting down and elevating my leg would be harder...

if I have the ability to get up and walk around when I feel the need, will thatmake it easier? or do I really need to have a way to sit down and comfortably elevate my leg?  I could do some work from home if I arrange it with my office...

maybe I should bring a sofa to work and stick it in my office?  :)
Sean

andybc

• Right BHR November 25 2010 Sarah Muirhead-Allwood
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 05:40:08 AM »
Sounds like your job is similar to mine, in that I'm largely working from a desk but have to walk along a 30 yard corridor fairly often each hour.

I went back just before the 6 week point, last week. It honestly hasn't been too bad. As long as I use a stick to walk it's fine. Start up pain is a bit uncomfortable, though. Although I haven't really managed my exercises  since being back, in a way, I think it helped as I was effecitively doing exercise of a different sort. By the Friday I was quite sore and started my (overdue) op physio, which I think has helped.

The main problem, for me, at least, was that once I was back I was expected to work at normal capacity, but I have been very firm about what I will and won't do. If at all possible, I strongly suggest you do that, too.

Ideally, perhaps I might have had another two weeks off, but, to be honest, I was desperate to return as I love my job. (I suspect my long suffering family were quite relieved, too!).

I see quite a few people get back in much shorter time but some take a fair bit longer, so, as always, it's an individual thing. I'm afraid you won't really know until you see how you are after the op.

The main thing to remember is that you've got many years ahead in which to impress your boss, so don't rush back!

Best wishes and good luck.

Andy

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 09:08:10 AM »
I was out 4 weeks and was very comfortable when I went back. I may have been able to go back at 3 weeks but i decided better safe than sorry. Another factor was that it was easier to cut my short term disability claim short than it would have been to extend it.

Cutter3

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 12:28:44 PM »
I was out of the office just 1 day short of 2 months, although I worked from home after 4 weeks post-op.

For me, it wasn't so much the office work, it was the commute - I drive ~60 miles one way, so it wasn't possible for me to sit in a car for that long for quite a while.  I have a desk job as well, and after returning to the office, I had to force myself to get up and walk around - otherwise, my hip would stiffen up and become quite uncomfortable.

Ask your doctor on his recommendation - both best and worse case scenarios.

fenceman

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 02:15:19 PM »
I went back 1 week after surgery, lasted 1 hour and took another week off.  Even at 2 weeks it was tough and I only worked 1/2 days for another week.  I would say 4 weeks for a desk job and some walking.  Really depends on the person and their recovery.
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

23109VC

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 02:37:18 AM »
I'm back at work!

This week I stopped in a couple times for a few hours here and there, butmdid no work...mostly spent all the time talking to people and answering questions about how I am doing.

Today, Friday, i went in for a real day, and worked almostmthe whole day.  I was in around 8, butnleft at 3.

Next week I will try a fullweek.  Keep in mind, ohave a desk job....I sit most day, on the computer, phone,and some walking within my building.

I work in a courthouse, and imwent through the metal detector....I did NOT set it off!  It must not be that sensitive!  Or it's broken! 
Sean

halfdone

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 07:45:13 AM »
I work in a courthouse, and i went through the metal detector....I did NOT set it off!  It must not be that sensitive!  Or it's broken! 
Government facility?  Maybe they forgot to turn it on or decided not to because of budget cuts.  ;D

Nice to hear that you have made great progress in your recovery.

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 11:34:24 AM »
Sean,
That's funny about the metal detector. ;D Sound like you are really doing great!

Steve
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear