+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3.5 weeks post LBHR - unassisted walking question  (Read 1958 times)

alst

3.5 weeks post LBHR - unassisted walking question
« on: December 10, 2010, 11:22:48 PM »
Hello board,
I am today three and  a half weeks post LBHR. It is progressing and healing well. I used walker for the first week and started using cane from week two. Every day brings some slight improvements, but the leg is still somewhat stiff in the area of the incision and some swelling remaining in the thigh-knee area, even though it has significantly subsided from the peak of swelling between days 5 and 14 after the surgery. In turn, when I am trying to walk unassisted, w/o cane it is still quite uncomfortable and my limping increases, which worries me. My question to the board is when on average it is safe/one suppose to start walking unassisted. Thank you much for feedback. Best. Al

littleb

Re: 3.5 weeks post LBHR - unassisted walking question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 02:26:13 AM »
Didn't your doctor give you a protocol sheet that answers these questions? I was on 2 crutches for 3 weeks, 1 crutch for 3 weeks then cleared for cane until I could walk without limping. Each Doctor is different, but if you are stiff and limping you aren't ready.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

jgenese

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 08:22:31 AM »
Hey Al, congrats on your new hip! I was about 4 weeks when I started to comfortably walk unassisted. My physical therapist made that decision based on my progress. PT should get you to the point of walking unassisted but be patient, everyone is different. I'm at 7 weeks now and walking great but the muscles still feel a little stiff although I am a little sore from PT. Good luck to you!

Lopsided

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 08:38:20 AM »
My question to the board is when on average it is safe/one suppose to start walking unassisted.

Simply, when you can walk without a limp, you can walk unassisted. Until then you should continue with a stick.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 10:04:10 AM »
A mirror is the best thing when you are just starting out walking to see exactly how you're doing.....

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 12:52:23 PM »
My surgeon suggests that you use a walking aid until you don't limp. If you don't use a cane or crutch early on when you are still limping, you could do some damage or impede your recovery.  Best to always be conservative.  Each person is different.  You body will tell you what to do.  It is telling you it is not healed yet.  3 1/2 weeks is still early for some people.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

muzza

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 02:58:56 PM »
Healing time varies, not only from individual to individual, but from side to side in any given  individual. I was walking without any aid in four weeks with my right BHR, but it took about seven weeks with my left BHR. Despite the longer healing time the left feels better than the right.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear