+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: More on travelling abroad for BHR  (Read 7249 times)

Global092

More on travelling abroad for BHR
« on: December 12, 2010, 02:11:02 AM »
Hi to the Team @ Surface Hippy & all members
Very much a newbie to this site(only arrived on it 24hr ago).
What a tremendous resource and so pleased I found it.
I am going to need to have some form of repair carried out on an ailing right hip & so far have made up my mind if suitable I will go for a resurfacing job rather than a hip replacement as I am still a very active person(would like to be more so) and it looks from my reading that Dr Vijay is one of the "men" to go to if you want a proper job carried out. The idea of recuperating beside the Indian ocean sound fantastic also.
I am in NZ and our winter is May - September and I was thinking sometime in that window( if it fits) would be ideal.
Notice on an earlier thread on this topic that it is also the really hot time in India and I was wondering just how hot it really got and if it affected recovery in any way.
The operation in most cases sounds like a breeze compared to replacement & I have many friends who have replacements with varying outcomes and of course limitation on their scope of activities.
One of my colleagues who ended up with a hip reconstruction was warned against BHR because of the metals downloading from the prosthesis and in some cases lodging in the liver and causing liver cancer. Have looked thru a large number of posts I can find no discussion on this matter. Have come across the studies on metal ions in the forum but they make no mention of cancer. I dont wish to be alarmist but i also dont really want to end up with the big "C" making the cure worse than the complaint.
I would welcome any guiding hints/tips that any of you are happy to share with me.
Thanking you in anticipation Global092

toby

Re: More on travelling abroad for BHR
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 07:30:11 AM »
Hi 'Global',
Welcome to the site.
Firstly, I just need to say that in all the research that I and numerous others have studied, there has been no link with MOM replacement and cancer. So whoever your colleague is who mentioned this to you needs to show you research and then you can share with us!
As you are in NZ, it's worth noting that recently a brilliant HR surgeon from the UK-Mr Mark Bloomfield is now working in NZ. He's done about 1200 HR procedures and really is one of the best. However, you are absolutely right Dr Vijay Bose is also in the top group(read Vicky Marlowe's site/current experiences too).
BW
Toby
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 08:42:15 AM »
You will have zero issues with metals debris if you go to an experienced hip surgeons who has performed a lot of resurfacings.

Those debris are caused from devices that are incorrectly installed (edge loading).

Yes, people have had to have revisions for improperly installed devices but I've never seen a link to cancer.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Lopsided

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 11:52:33 AM »
Notice on an earlier thread on this topic that it is also the really hot time in India and I was wondering just how hot it really got and if it affected recovery in any way.

Real unrelenting heat and humidity can drain you if you are not used to it. I enjoy it and have adapted physically. If you enjoy it, it will probably help your recovery. I suggest you always wear a hat and dark glasses when you go out. In the hospital you will be in aircon all the time.

I did the opposite. I went from tropical (Bangkok, the hottest mean average temperature in the world) to Belgium in August. That was shock enough, I would not have liked to have gone in the winter.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Global092

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 01:39:04 PM »
Thanks for prompt reply to the topics raised in this post. I am so relieved - and yes I will check out where Mark Bloomfield is. From your post Toby it reads like he only does THR and not BHR. Is that the case plse?
Cheers Global092

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat