+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Knee pain after LBHR  (Read 1849 times)

jgenese

Knee pain after LBHR
« on: December 14, 2010, 07:33:06 AM »
I had a LBHR Oct 22 which feels awesome, but I noticed after the surgery, the outside area of my knee was very tender to the touch. It is still tender to the touch and I even had trouble sleeping last night due to the pain. Has anyone else experienced an issue similar to this?

jjmclain

Re: Knee pain after LBHR
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 08:01:12 AM »
I have! The outside of my knee and behind my knee and all down the back of my leg! I am 4 weeks and still very bruised. They do a lot to your leg during surgery. Plus if you are on blood thinners, the bruising doesn't heal as fast until you go off of them. Mine has gotten a lot better since I went off Coumadin on Friday but there are still some areas tender to the touch. Some people bleed out into their tissues and it causes the bruising down the leg. That is what I was told. It does start to get better!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 12:02:46 PM »
Sometimes it takes  months to get the body back into normal balance and all the joints working properly. They have all been stessed due to the bad hip.  I wonder if you have any back pain?  Sometimes back pain will cause pain into the hip, leg or knee.  It is called referred pain.  I have had that when my back is out of place.  I use to go to the chiropractor quite a bit.  I still throw my back out now and then, but seldom get any referred pain.  Just a thought.

Usually no matter the cause, time is the healer.  You need to be patient.  Perhaps a few tylenol or advil at bedtime will help. It is always best to get your sleep since you are still healing from your surgery. Even icing the knee before bedtime might help.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

jgenese

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 08:01:55 AM »
Pat,
I do have a sore lower back and that is part of the problem, but because I was limping for some time prior to surgery and afterwards, I was putting a lot of stress on the iliotibial band which runs from the side of the knee,(where I am experiencing pain), to the buttocks. I really have to pay attention to my gait when walking and usually this will take the pressure off of this band. It's been so long since I had a normal gait that I really have to be concious of it everytime I'm walking. I had a long discussion about this at PT yesterday and it all makes sense, even my sore lower back. Good call on that lower back issue.

JohnnyG

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat