+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Five Week Mark-- Please advise  (Read 4249 times)

JDShelnut

Five Week Mark-- Please advise
« on: December 14, 2010, 05:17:25 PM »
I am a 37 year old male and will be at the five week mark tomorrow. I had a great operation, was done with the walker in three days, and the cane about a week beyond that. I had the usual swelling, bruising for the first couple of weeks and began outsourced physical therapy a couple of weeks ago.

Mainly, I am just really, really tired. I will sleep 8-9 hours a night, but I feel like I slept 3. I just went back to work yesterday and I teach.....so I am super whooped. My PT is not too rigorous, but I also just had major surgery. What I mainly want to hear is what should my expectations be between now (five weeks) and over the next month.

**I was a gym rat who worked out six days a week, about an hour a  pop. I am NOT ready to go get on the elliptical for 45 minutes right? PT is slow and I am still a "newbie" at 5 weeks right?
When will I probably be "turned loose" physically, to work out on my own?

** Is the fatigue normal? I am soooooo tired.

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
Re: Five Week Mark-- Please advise
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 05:34:42 PM »
Fatigue is normal, your body believe or not is still doing a lot of healing, work your way back slowly.  You should in the next month start to pick up more and more energy.  By around 8 weeks I was able to play 18 holes and I walked a lot of the course making my buddies drive the cart.

Among the things to expect, startup stiffness, can last a year---- ROM can take a year or better to really come back strong and you will develop a lot of aches and pains if you push it too much.

Most imoportant, up to 6 months you are at the most rick of neck fracture, be CAREFUL!

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

jjmclain

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 10:59:16 PM »
JD,

Any chance you could be anemic? I donated 1 pint of blood 2 weeks prior to surgery, which they gave back to me immediately after the operation. I was found to still be anemic but they didn't give me anymore blood because I was up and crutching around. Instead, I was put on Vitron C (Iron with Vitamin C which helps the absorption of the Iron) until I hit my 4 week mark last week. It really helped. Just an idea because I don't feel that overwhelming tiredness and I will be at 5 weeks this Thursday. However, everyone is different and it was major surgery. I hope you start getting back your energy soon!

One more thing on that topic. After I donated the blood, I felt weak and tired for a couple of days when I was at work (I teach fitness classes.) until I was on the Iron for a few days (I had to take it from the time of donation up until the day before surgery.)

JM

JDShelnut

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 11:40:19 PM »
Thanks for responding guys! Chuck, how does neck fracture get into the equation? I haven't heard of that yet? McClain, I am glad you have had a better experience with energy here at the five week mark. But what should be our fitness expectations at five weeks? Would I be less tired if I tried to workout BEYOND my three day a week PT, which is by no means that strenous.

I basically have no idea of the protocol, but my PT said she will let me know when to "take off" and do my own thing. Is that about right? Just use the 5-8 week time window to just do the moderate exercise assignments they prescribe and save all the "back to normal" workouts for times further out in the post-op experience?

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 11:50:27 PM »
Femoral neck fractures, they are most likely to happen post-op to 6 months, in other words don't do anything crazy, don't fall if you can help it.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

littleb

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 04:00:46 AM »
The science on femoral fracture post op has do do with the bone having to recover from the surgery. There is a study somewhere that indicates that bone density goes down for the first 6-9 months post op and recovers to presurgical levels between 1 year - 18 months. Take it easy. People who have followed all the rules have fractured. Yes, there are those who climb mountains within weeks, but they are the exceptions too. Most people just have set backs that keep them on the sidelines longer than they would have if they had kept with the protocols.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

JDShelnut

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 10:53:56 AM »
So the short answer here is....FIVE WEEKS is way too early to get back into a "rigorous" exercise routine. I should limit exersion at this point to the teaching work day and whatever I do at PT......maybe an evening, walk, etc. I know everyone is different, but healing is healing. What, would you say, is a *general*  ETA  for business as usual working out.

Believe it or not, I am not chomping at the bit to get back to the gym. I just want to give myself the peace of mind and a ballpark figure as to when I should go back...so I can gauge. I can take it easy, no problem...I just want to know I am still well within the realm of "taking it easy" time. What would you say? After two months? Three months? Then go back to the gym? I will be done with formal PT at the end of the month too, so I will pretty much be on my own.

Thanks!

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 01:05:48 PM »
So the short answer here is....FIVE WEEKS is way too early to get back into a "rigorous" exercise routine. I should limit exersion at this point to the teaching work day and whatever I do at PT......maybe an evening, walk, etc. I know everyone is different, but healing is healing. What, would you say, is a *general*  ETA  for business as usual working out.

Thanks!

I think you're barking up the wrong tree by asking others what their recovery was as you're likely to come up with the wrong answer.  Some people take 6 months (rare cases) to get back to the swing of things, some people are back to work 4 weeks post-op as strong as they were pre-op.  The important thing is that you are progressing and not pushing it and it sounds like you are doing just fine.

Work your way back to whatever routine you want to get in, do it slow, follow your doctors instructions and you will be fine.

Just remember, everyone recovers differently.
Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 02:05:19 PM »
Sometimes when you are younger you think you should heal faster.  The rate of healing depends on each person, not necessarily their age or physical condition.  Some older people are up and running much faster than some athletes.  There is no way to predict your recovery timeline.  You just need to go with your own healing and not worry about how other people did. 

Most people are very tired after surgery.  Some take months to get their normal energy level back.  Major surgery really takes a toll on the body.  I was 61 and it took me almost 6 months to get mine all back.  Others do it in a few months.  You just have to go with what your body does.  If you are tired, take naps and go to bed early.  It is sometimes diffiuclt to work and recover at the same time.  Your case is not unusual. 

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Lopsided

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 02:17:49 PM »
**When will I probably be "turned loose" physically, to work out on my own?
I was told it will take a year before I can do anything. I feel I can do a lot now, bit I am not pushing it.

** Is the fatigue normal? I am soooooo tired.

I found for the first eight weeks, even when I was improving at the fastest, some time in the late afternoon, or early evening, I would suddenly find I was really tired, went to bed early and slept unusually long. After eight weeks, I got my previous sleep pattern back.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 03:01:44 PM »
My advice would be to go with what the PT tells you. I also have worked out a lot, combination of martial arts, soccer and rigorous one hour gym workouts.

At 5 weeks from my first surgery, I was just going into my first week of PT and had, like you just started working. My job involves sitting a lot, unlike yours, which sounds like you're standing much of the time. Remember that you had major surgery done, so the recuperation of the muscles is not the only thing involved. You also had trauma to your hip, muscles cut and shock to your overall system. You need to give that time to recover.

The Physical therapist is trained to see the amount of activity you can handle, keeping in perspective the stresses being put on your hip and bones. I think gradual recuperation, while difficult to me (I'm the push the physical envelope type) is the best approach, since I want to be able to go back to full activity for the coming years. I went through outpatient PT for two months, at the end of which the therapist had increased the levels to pretty challenging stuff.

The PT folks also found that due to the pain and injury, my muscles had compensated and developed some bad habits. They also found that while most areas were strong, some were very weak (lower abdomen muscles), so they worked with me to strengthen those overall and to correct the bad habits. So it's not the usual workout for me, but in the end, it overall made me much stronger, I believe, while makng sure the hip was correctly strengthend.

Sorry for the long answer, but like others here, I think a slow recovery , making sure the hip is strengthened correctly is the best. The PT I work with, is sports oriented (I think they work with some of the Patriots).

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 03:05:43 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

JDShelnut

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 03:40:26 PM »
Right. I can't imagine that at 5 weeks, my body is ready for elliptical or bike with resistance. Not only would I wear out energy wise, I just think it is too soon. It is certainly rare for me to not be working out, but since my energy level is so much lower, I really do not miss it. In other words, in a normal situation, I would have nervous, pent up energy bursting at the seams if I wasn't working out. I don't have that restless energy since I am so tired. Maybe a brisk one mile walk would be the most rigorous and non-stressing thing for me to do right now...(when I am not at PT sessions anyway).

m2taylor

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 12:54:44 AM »
tomorrow marks 4 weeks post op for me.   this was my second resurfacing.  1st one was nearly 3 yrs ago and the results were great.   I was 40 at the time and very active.  the hardest part of my recovery is to keep reminding myself not to do too much the first 12 weeks.  most days, I walk one to two miles (which can take me one hour).    if I remember correctly, at TWELVE WEEKS, my ortho gave me the go ahead to resume riding my bike and swimming and walking for more than one hour \ 3 miles at a time.   anecdote :  I may resume swimming before cycling however, I will avoid the locker room and shower at home instead.  locker rooms are notorious for mrsa virus and, as I understand it, hip surgery patients need to be very careful to avoid any mrsa exposure .... especially for first 6 months and maybe for up to one year.    give a lot of thought before visiting any relatives in a hospital over this period as well (delivery floor is ok).      perhaps this is one reason most hospitals keep ortho patients separate from other patients.   I have heard several scary stories, including Jack Snow, fomer NFL player, Rams broadcaster & father of 1st basemen JT Snow.    Jack was very excited to be playing golf ~3 months after surgery.   As I understand it, around 9 months after surgery, he was exposed to MRSA virus (likely in Rams locker room) which zeroed in on his hip.   he died soon therafter.  want to learn more about MRSA ?  look up the scary 60 minutes segment from ~2009.

hipnhop

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 12:03:44 AM »
JD, i am in your exact same position. I am so tired.  I am glad to have read your post. I thought something might be wrong with me. I was all gung ho about working out and swimming but I really don't want to do it. My pt said ok but my body and mind are saying no.  I am just going to stick to basics, watch what I eat ( a little), and save energy for healing.

We worked out every day for x years and rarely took a day off.  That's was our season. Now we are in another season - getting ready for new possibilities.  My Doc told me that my hip problem caused me to have weak hip flexors and an abnormal gait.  He told me once they were corrected I will see some great improvement.

I have no clue what stronger hip flexors will do for me.  I have been compensating, using other muscles to lift, run, bike and swim.  I await the possibilities patiently.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats