+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Feels like my hip is shifting around!! Anyone else have this??  (Read 3105 times)

Bigmamoo

Feels like my hip is shifting around!! Anyone else have this??
« on: December 26, 2010, 06:41:16 PM »
Hi folks! Got my Birmingham on 4/22/10, at the age of 40. Had horrible post op recovery due to pain meds not being sufficient. Anywas, 8 months later I still have some pain and a lot of tightness, but the past week, it feels like it moves around when I move- not when walking, just bending, etc.
Is this normal? I'm thinking not, but I don't have health insurance anymore and it's scaring me a little!!
Thanks for any help here!! :)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 06:54:41 PM by obxpelican »

obxpelican

Re: Feels like my hip is shifting around!! Anyone else have this??
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 06:59:46 PM »
I changed the color of your font as it was not readable at all.

It's very possible that you are having some issues with tendons, sometimes they can cause those symptoms.  Are you having pain that you can associate with the feeling that it's moving around?

X-rays are not expensive, might be a good idea just to have them checked again, don't be alarmed yet.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Bigmamoo

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 07:21:52 PM »
Thank you for fixing the newbie mistake! :)
It doesn't hurt when it does it, but the area still feels "uncomfortable", like a level lower than pain.
Thank you for your response! I'll call my md and see what the cost is, since of course I'll need to see him first!  ::)

On a side note, I was to have the other one done 1/4 but had to cancel because of the insurance issue. The pain in that one is 1000x worse than the new one ever had. This one stabs bad under my kneecap!

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 07:51:36 PM »
Ohhhh ok, well you just enlightened me as to what may be happening.

You might very well be causing a natural hip pain from the way your are walking, whenver you have issues in one area of your body and you use the other area differently you can cause issues.

You might well be ok, just causing some pain in other areas from the way you are walking, this happens so often with knees, sometimes if I sit funny for long periods of time in my chair I end up feeling a funny feeling in my hip.

If you have some hardware going bad it's usually pretty sharp pain and it usually stays around.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Bigmamoo

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 11:07:13 PM »
Thanks for easing my mind Chuck!! I think it's been compromised as well from doing a lot of working at my job I've had for 3 months. Before that, I last worked before the surgery, and being on my feet (which I wish I could transplant!) probably has made the weird feeling.
Sincere thanks for your help!! ;D

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 06:00:52 PM »
I had a lot of clunking in the begining.  The hip components are loose since the muscles have been stretched and not back to normal.  That allows more movement between the components and it feels like they are shifting when that are really moving more apart than normal.  I had it for a long time.  Even now 5 years later, if I sit in a certain position and shift my weight I can feel that clunk or slight distance between the components.  Normally this is normal and will get better.  Some people also have ligament and/or muscle problems that take a long time to heal.

If you are unsure about what you are experincing, ask your surgeon about it.  They should take an x-ray to see if the bone is growing into the components and let you know what is going on.

I am sorry to hear about your pain during your recovery.  That should not happen.  Some people need almost no meds while others use meds for a long time.  For other people reading this - make sure you demand meds if you are in pain.  Sometimes even your family doctor will prescribe them after your early post op recovery is over.  No one should be in great pain during or after their surgery.  That is wrong on the surgeon's part and the hospital if it is occuring in the hospital.  Sometimes it takes some changes to find what works - but if you are in pain, make sure you tell your doctor and get meds.  Your body does not heal well while it is in great pain.

I hope you continue to heal well and stay in touch. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Bigmamoo

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 07:14:12 PM »
Glad to know the clunking is normal!
The pain I had after was unreal. I have a high tolerance for pain meds, and I think they just didn't know what to do with me. I feel like they'll think I'm some sort of druggie always asking for more!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat